Deaths | Film | News

Director Sydney Pollack Dies in Los Angeles

SpollackThe great director Sydney Pollack died of cancer on Monday in Los Angeles. He was 73:

"Mr. Pollack’s career defined an era in which big stars (Robert Redford, Barbra Streisand, Warren Beatty) and the filmmakers who knew how to wrangle them (Barry Levinson, Mike Nichols) retooled the Hollywood system. Savvy operators, they played studio against studio, staking their fortunes on pictures that served commerce without wholly abandoning art. Hollywood honored Mr. Pollack in return. His movies received multiple Academy Award nominations, and as a director he won an Oscar for his work on the 1985 film Out of Africa as well as nominations for directing They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? (1969) and Tootsie (1982)."

Pollack's death comes just two months after his producing partner, the filmmaker Anthony Minghella, died following complications from a cancer-related operation.

Portrait shot by Michael Davis at the 2007 Palm Springs International Film Festival.

Two of Pollack's more memorable acting performances, in '82's Tootsie and last year's Michael Clayton, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Я сожалению.

Сидни Поллак - один из тех режиссеров, которые остаются в памяти навсегда. Его Тутси/Милашка - одно из самых замечательных гей-кинолент, котоыре я видел...

Posted by: ioni | May 27, 2008 8:20:20 AM

2. and let us not forget the fabulous Dick Martin of Laugh In fame who died Saturday.... r.i.p.

Posted by: the queen | May 27, 2008 8:58:33 AM

3. This doesn't come as a surpise. When George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson and Tony Gilroy were making the awards season round sfor "Michael Clayton" back in November they all spoke of how Ill Pollack was and how worried they were about him. A Hollywood director of high quality ("The yShoot Horses Don't They," "Tootsie," "The Way We Were") and a producer of superb taste ("The Talented Mr. Ripley," "Michael Clayton,") he was an acotr without peer. No one could kick a key line of dialogue straight out of the ballpark like Sydney Pollack. Among my favorite performances: "The Player," "Eyes Wide Shut," "Husbands and Wives," "Michael Clayton," and of course "Tootsie."

"Gay Jeopardy" Bonus points: He played Will's dad on "Will & Grace."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 27, 2008 9:21:49 AM

4. I always thought he was rather handsome, myself. Loved him in Woody's Husbands and Wives.

Posted by: Banjiboi | May 27, 2008 9:36:18 AM

5. I always thought he was rather handsome, myself. Loved him in Woody's Husbands and Wives.

Posted by: Banjiboi | May 27, 2008 9:36:46 AM

6. I always thought he was rather handsome, myself. Loved him in Woody's Husbands and Wives.

Posted by: Banjiboi | May 27, 2008 9:36:59 AM

7. I always liked his work and yes, a handsome man and a class act.

Posted by: Nonplussed | May 27, 2008 10:39:00 AM

8. He had such kind eyes; makes me want to believe he was a good person. God bless.

Posted by: Christopher | May 27, 2008 1:33:17 PM

9. This makes me so sad. Pollack was one of the few directors/actors/producers in Hollywood I actually respected from a far. It seems even at 73 he was far too young. God rest.

Posted by: Cory | May 27, 2008 4:00:47 PM

10. Don't forget that Pollack also had a small role as Will's father on Will & Grace. He was a very gay-friendly person who was an advocate for our equality.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | May 27, 2008 11:24:47 PM