I'm Gay | Music | News | Sam Sparro

BigGayDeal.com

Sam Sparro On Being Gay: 'This is Me, I'm Happy with Myself'

Sparro2

Freshly-minted UK music sensation Sam Sparro talks to the Guardian today about being out and proud.

SparroSays Sparro: "I've always thought, 'This is me, I'm happy with myself,' and so that's what I'm here to project. So that gay teenagers don't have to get the shit kicked out of them in school and think that they're a horrible person. It's easier to be an 'out' pop star today. Morrissey never came out, and Neil Tennant left it very, very late, whereas Jake Shears was open from the start."

On coming out to his parents: "I thought it was going to be the worst thing in the world and they were never going to talk to me again. I really worried that they were going to disown me. But I should have trusted them a bit more and known that they're better than that. I'm really close to both of my parents, and they're really supportive and they love my boyfriend. I've been with him for two years."

Sparro also looks back on what he describes as a miserable adolescence, documented via tattoos and weird body piercings, as a good thing: "I think all that time being unhappy was a good thing because I learned to rely on myself. I think to love yourself is really important because if you can't love yourself you can't love anybody else."

Watch Sam Sparro's video for his single "Black and Gold", AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Props to Sam for outing Moz!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 19, 2008 11:13:20 AM

2. I like it!

Posted by: Tweety | May 19, 2008 11:30:47 AM

3. In the immortal words of Grace Jones...pull up to the bumper, baby, in your long black limousine, pull up to my bumper baby, and drive it in between!

Posted by: peterparker | May 19, 2008 1:34:01 PM

4. Moz outed himself a few years ago.

Funny that he mentions Neil Tennant since, as has been noted on this site, his video is very similar to an early Pet Shop Boys video.

He's adorable, though I hate pictures where people are showing their tongues. His tongue, though, I could manage.

Posted by: Paul R | May 19, 2008 2:08:00 PM

5. It's easy for someone born in 1982 to criticize gays in the spotlight at that time for not being out. It was a different world and not as tolerant of gays in the public eye. Everyone knew Morrisey and Neil Tennant were gay--and to my knowledge, they never pretended otherwise.

Posted by: Mark | May 19, 2008 4:14:50 PM

6. Just more "stupid gay" not knowing what it was like in the 80's.....

Posted by: styler | Mar 21, 2014 10:21:09 AM