Barack Obama | China | Election 2008 | Hillary Clinton | Hockey | Natural Disasters | News | Sharon Stone | Sports | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #295

COMMENCEMENT: Barack Obama "pinch hits" for Ted Kennedy at Wesleyan University.

SHARON STONE: Says "karma" was to blame for death and destruction of Chinese earthquake.

KEITH OLBERMANN: Slams Hillary Clinton's RFK 'assassination' remarks. Clinton has apologized for the reference.

SMASHED: Spokane Chiefs win the 2008 Memorial Cup, then drop it.

Check out our previous guides to the Tube here.

Comments

1. I like Keith, but he's become a bit over the top lately. He's hoping to ride the blue wave into being the voice of the liberal wing.

Posted by: michael | May 27, 2008 3:23:40 PM

2. Keith Olbermann and his cronies at MSNBC are the one network on tv that makes Fox News actually seem "fair & balanced" by comparison. I'll stick with CNN, thank you.

Posted by: Paul | May 27, 2008 3:28:08 PM

3. OK. Are we that afraid of Hillary Clinton that we can't call her on her own words? She did NOT apologize for her remarks about RFK. What she did was say she was sorry that anyone misunderstood her. that's not what is conveyed to the reader of the head line, "Clinton has apologized..."

In the same way she did NOT misspeak about the sniper incident, she has not apologized for her comments. Saying that you're sorry the listener did not understand you - is not the same thing.

Posted by: Ben | May 27, 2008 3:30:08 PM

4. Ben, what she said was:

"I regret that if my referencing that moment of trauma for our entire nation, and particularly for the Kennedy family, was in any way offensive. I certainly had no intention of that, whatsoever," Clinton said."

In any circle, even Obama's cult, that is an apology.

Robert Kennedy Jr. has no issue with the way she used it.

Posted by: michael | May 27, 2008 3:35:41 PM

5. i stopped watching my former favorite news guy keitho when i saw past his strange anger at everything hillary did. he foams at the mouth at the least little thing. its so apparently an act that i started watching fox! and guess what? its way more balanced than msnbc. it pains me to see their boys always ganging p on hillary like they just dont want a girl playing with them. keith thinks he's doing a modern day ed murrow. its more like joseph mcartney. all fake anger and spittle for the camera. and yet no questioning of obama at all. weird.

Posted by: dw314 | May 27, 2008 3:38:40 PM

6. Keith Olberman should apologize to Hillary Clinton because he was wrong. Sure, he got a memo from Obama staffers assuring him that Hillary had called for Barack to be murdered, so he ran with it. That's what he does every night of the week: operate as a mouthpiece for the Obama campaign. Just like the guys who sold us Bush's war, Olberman is looking to sell Obama to the American public. The bombastic discourse is all it takes and once the damage is done you move on to the next story. I wonder when Bill Moyers will complete a special on the impact of bloviators like Olberman on US presidential politics.

Posted by: Tom | May 27, 2008 4:05:37 PM

7. Christ, someone put Sharon Stone out of my misery for me and all the other celebutards who use the media to traffic in their ignorant, self-serving and irrelevant "opinions". Dear god.

Posted by: atheist | May 27, 2008 4:28:20 PM

8. Sharon Stone's "the Dali Lama is a good friend of mine" reeked.
    And after such a misguided swipe that she took at the Chinese people i hope she's not surprised when he doesn't return the same sentiment. She's done heaps of good work for AmFAR, but that mindless statement has taken her down more than just a few notches on the good will meter.

Posted by: A.J. | May 27, 2008 4:35:23 PM

9. Sharon Stone is a nutjob. Apparently the speech she gave at the recent GLAAD awards here in San Francisco were rambling and incoherent. I wonder what she's on besides the crazies.

Posted by: Paul R | May 27, 2008 4:41:13 PM

10. Guys...Sharon Stone has helped raise TONS of money for HIV/AIDS treatment/research/prevention. She plays auctioneer at Elton John's White Tie & Tiara Ball, a benefit for AIDS/HIV organizations. And she performed 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' with Kylie Minogue at Cannes to raise money for HIV/AIDS research.

Besides, she is not saying that karma caused the earthquake in China. What she was saying is that she wondered if, through karma, the Chinese caused the earthquake by first persecuting Tibet, but the response from Tibet in reaching out to victims of the earthquake humbled her and caused her to re-examine her judgemental attitude.

Let's focus our hate on the enemies of the GLBT population rather than our friends, eh?

Posted by: peterparker | May 27, 2008 4:55:06 PM

11. Keith O has become such a stage show. I'm sure that rage could be put to much better use somewhere else. I mean, seriously, he's been doing this act for a long time. How much has he accomplished from it?

And to think that the Obama campaign is STILL sending the YouTube link of this hissyfit to the uncommitted super-delegates. Can't imagine it helps; probably makes them question him.

New politics? Nah! Change? Nah! Just more of the same crap.

Posted by: Milan | May 27, 2008 5:16:43 PM

12. I am waiting for the day that MSNBC pulls the plug on Keith O! There is NOTHING fair and balanced about him, he is not a journalist and should be fired. He has crossed the line far too many times!!!

Posted by: RB | May 27, 2008 5:20:42 PM

13. Keith's delivery sucks, but let's not pretend like Hillary didn't make a mistake. Obama has made gaffes too, such as his "bitter" comments, and the media spun it out of proportion. Hillary fanned the flames. Now here is some cosmic karma, where the media gets to spin a mistake by Clinton. The difference here is that instead of agreeing with the media, Obama took the high road and responded:

"I have learned that when you are campaigning for as many months as Sen. Clinton and I have been campaigning, sometimes you get careless in terms of the statements that you make, and I think that is what happened here. Senator. Clinton says that she did not intend any offense by it, and I will take her at her word on that."

Posted by: oregonstudent | May 27, 2008 5:39:55 PM

14. PeterParker, I meant to add something about Sharon Stone being a huge friend of the gay community. Hell, she and Judith Light seem to spend most of their time working on gay issues, and I'm grateful.

That doesn't mean she doesn't often say things that are downright bizarre. I didn't mean to sound so vengeful, but let's not forget that for many years she was a Scientologist.

Posted by: Paul R | May 27, 2008 5:53:19 PM

15. i simply adore sharon stone ever since i saw basic instinct (one of my all time faves) and from then on i stopped wearing panties... now i think she may be on to something re the chinese karma, not only for fucking with the dalai lama but also trying to poison us all with all that lead in the shit they export here... so maybe it's some WAL-MART karma too!

Posted by: the queen | May 27, 2008 6:01:06 PM

16. Milan

Please provide proof of your acusation. A link to something reporting on an actual Obama campaign staffer doing what you said.

Like Obama himself said,

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | May 27, 2008 7:06:30 PM

17. "...and I will take her at her word on that."

Oh please, "high road" my ass. He says one thing to give a false impression, and sits back while his lackeys and surrogates fan the flames ... sending around the YouTube link of Keith O's bile-spouting diatribe, trolling the news blog comments sections and giving 'anonymous' interviews to the Hillary-hating publications.

High road? I think not.

And the "bitter" comment was far worse because the meaning and intent was plainly right there for everyone to see. For him to say it a week before the PA Primary in a room full of rich Californians showed that he is just a typical, pandering politician.

Even those in the media backtracked (see the columns in Politico, LA Times and WSJ) and said the media had largely overreacted, based on hearsay after the Daily News and Drudge "broke" the twisted quotes on their Web sites. RFK Jr. and the Argus newspaper both put out statements clarifying the statement, right after Hillary herself apologized for saying it in a way that left it open to misinterpretation.

Posted by: Milan | May 27, 2008 7:19:58 PM

18. Milan

Again. Please provide links for your acusations

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | May 27, 2008 7:27:16 PM

19. JIMMYBOYO:

I'm sure you'll find it on YouTube: George S. on ABC's This Week and Wolf Blitzer on Late Edition on Sunday both mentioned that the Obama campaign was sending KO's comment to superdelegates and supporters.

George asked David Axelrod if the campaign would continue sending the video around. Axelrod did not answer; he merely said the Obama campaign accepted the apology and was moving on. He refused to confirm or deny that the campaign was sending the video link.

Posted by: Milan | May 27, 2008 7:27:41 PM

20. Milan, you fell for the trap. The "..and I will take her at her word on that" was a callback to when Clinton used those very words when she said Obama was not a Muslim.

Posted by: oregonstudent | May 27, 2008 7:42:53 PM

21. OregonStudent: She did not say that. You must be one of the Obama campaign trolls dispatched to spread the hate on blogs.

Here's Axelrod on ABC This Week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEqnFoysnC4

Watch him maneuver around the question, "So your campaign won't send around commentaries like that anymore?" And also watch him pull "polls" out of his butt; esp. the one about California.

Thanks for the debate guys. I think we all know who's showing to be a regular Washington-style politician that uses old-style campaign tactics. He may be the nominee, but he'll need more than luck and a prayer to win in November.

Posted by: Milan | May 27, 2008 7:59:21 PM

22. Ahem, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/02/clinton-as-far-as-i-kno_n_89488.html

Off all of the liberal blogs I read, I cannot understand why the readers of this one and Queerty are so vested in the failed Democratic candidate.

I gave Hillary the benefit of the doubt. Of all the issues out there, the moment that she started to lose me was actually one that dealt with gay rights. In her speech she talked about equality for 5 good minutes, but not once uttered the word "gay." My view of her has been further diminished, because she played this campaign far dirtier than the other candidates. Almost every media narrative can be summed up as a Hillary making an attack, Obama defending himself, and Hillary decrying his defense. Keith's video above lists these transgressions, and it's the hard truth.

Milan, you're better than using GOP-style talking points. You know very well that Obama has been polling stronger than McCain for months now.

Posted by: oregonstudent | May 27, 2008 8:48:34 PM

23. Keith has become what he hates, Bill O. but in an Obama suit. F him. I used to watch and love his show, now he is nothing but a complete waste of air time, fuming at mole hills.

Posted by: Mike | May 27, 2008 8:57:44 PM

24. wow, all this Keith bashing. And you trust cnn? Granted MSNBC is owned by GE, I wouldn't bash Keith to heavily. Its not like he's wrong. And Hillary is a monster. She should have dropped out at the end of that apology. Those comments were no mistake thats for sure. And also, Keith is no Bill O. Do you watch him go through his top 10? He isnt spouting lies and falsehoods people. Hillary lost, we need to choose our enemies and our battles in 2008, and Keith is no enemy to the left wing. Neither is Barack. At this point, I can't say the same about Mrs. Clinton. Look at her campaign for the last 4 months. She doesn't care about the Democratic party in 2008, only her own political ambitions. More Luck and a Prayer? He'll need your vote. You gonna vote for Jon McCain? I didn't think so. Lets think red and blue until December. What, are we Log Cabiners in here or what? Think about the bigger picture!!!!

Posted by: Zachcarlson | May 28, 2008 1:20:22 AM

25. OK, I'll agree Sharon Stone has a couple of screws loose, but with all due respect, to say that she said karma was to blame is NOT what happened. A bit of a sensational headline, don't you think Andy?

Posted by: Jefferson | May 28, 2008 1:48:20 AM