Gay Slurs | News | Shia LaBeouf

Shia LaBeouf 'Embarrassed' by Slap Video, Gay Slur

ShiaThe clip I posted yesterday, which was circulated heavily around the internet, showing a presumably inebriated Shia LaBeouf taunting his friend to slap him by goading him on with, among other things, the word 'faggot', has been pulled from YouTube and LaBeouf has made a statement through his representative, E!'s Marc Malkin reports:

"The videotape that is currently being circulated is several years old and captures Shia playing a game among friends in which he uses a derogatory word toward a friend. He regrets having used the word in any capacity and is very embarrassed that this footage is being seen by anyone.”

Clip AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Again, um, Why is this news? A young guy drinks a bunch of tequila with friends, then goads one to slap him really hard by calling him a faggot? I'm kinda getting a boner.

Posted by: James | Jun 11, 2008 8:58:04 AM

2. Good for you, James. I, on the other hand, think that this word should be excised from the public vernacular, so when anyone uses it, I find it wholly inappropriate and actually a little sad that people feel the need to be that low-class.

Posted by: Harrison | Jun 11, 2008 9:08:55 AM

3. James... lol...

I'm not upset at all by this. It clearly wasn't said with a malicious intent.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jun 11, 2008 9:12:12 AM

4. I'm just sad that there's no footage of the subsequent blowjob.

Posted by: David D. | Jun 11, 2008 9:17:05 AM

5. Will we begin calling it the F-word, as F-bomb is already taken? This is so not scandalous ...

Posted by: Diego | Jun 11, 2008 9:24:39 AM

6. "I, on the other hand, think that this word should be excised from the public vernacular, so when anyone uses it, I find it wholly inappropriate"

Except it was said in PRIVATE, you word-police fascist.

Posted by: Bill W | Jun 11, 2008 9:45:12 AM

7. Yeah, when we lose the capacity to accept that because someone uses a word like that they might not be homophobic but merely aren't thinking of what that word really means, then we don't deserve really any compassion from anyone else. Get over it. He was probably barely an adult at that point and I can remember the one and only time I ever got soap in my mouth as a kid by my parents was for calling my brother a faggot. The irony.

He's apologized, but honestly, get over it. I've used that word along with pansy, fairy and a multitude of other gay slurs when some queen pisses me off...who am I to judge if he's said he is sorry.

Posted by: Banne | Jun 11, 2008 10:04:38 AM

8. So, y'all are saying that "faggot" is only a slur when used against an actual gay person. Ok, it kinda' makes sense...for now.

What if the straight guy (or closet case) doesn't really know that you are gay, but he calls you a faggot-- do you simply say, "well, he didn't know any better...poor baby"?

Or what if the straight guy calls a gay guy a faggot, but not in a violent, angry voice? What if he smiles and uses a soft, sexy voice saying, "you little faggot...I oughtta' beat the fudge outta' your little fudge packed faggot ass."--and then he gives you a sweet male--bonding head butt?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jun 11, 2008 10:29:40 AM

9. marc malkin is so hot.

even hotter than shia... and that's saying something.

Posted by: Gaybriel | Jun 11, 2008 10:43:24 AM

10. marc malkin is so hot.

even hotter than shia... and that's saying something.

Posted by: Gaybriel | Jun 11, 2008 10:44:52 AM

11. So if I drunkenly call a friend a nigger, a kike or a spic on video, but in private, and upload it onto YouTube, it's totally cool? Good to know.

Posted by: David | Jun 11, 2008 10:48:28 AM

12. I guess it all depends on whom is spewing the slur for some here to be offended. A so called 'cute' guy, no problem dudes, someone not 'cute' the rage flows. Whcih is why the 'feelings' of so many here mean little when it comes to any real issue about the glbt community, too vapid and shallow to see any slur is wrong, drunk or not, 'cute' or not.

Posted by: Sebastian | Jun 11, 2008 10:53:58 AM

13. It's not so much that he said the word Faggot. I actually don't get so riled up over that mess, cuz it's just a WORD and it only has the power that I give it. What I DON'T like is that he means it as an insult; the implication that calling someone a Faggot is a put-down b/c
    BEING a Faggot is a bad thing that a real man should be embarassed about.

This is what's not cool about it and what an apology doesn't change. We see this attitude too often in young straight guys. They wanna be cool and hip and seen as open-minded, but when it all comes down -- is this really what they think?

Posted by: littleBIGchris | Jun 11, 2008 11:01:44 AM

14. Don't you just love these tools that will go to any length to justify their self-loathing and the use of the hateful word "faggot". Afterall, its just a word and anyone who has a problem with it is a Nazi. Give me a fuckin' break. JAMES, you and your little boner remind me of a guy who once wanted to blow me while I called him a faggot over and over. He also wanted me to wear a wedding ring and pretend I was straight. Thoroughly depressing as is BANNE who apparently hasn't mastered the English language and needs to resort to gay slurs "when some queen pisses me off". I'm guessing that happens alot.

Faggot is a derogatory term used to demean gay folks. It's also the #1 taunt used to bully kids, both gay and straight. But go on... keep defending and promoting its usage. I'll think of you when I hear of the next gay teen suicide. Schmucks.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jun 11, 2008 11:09:38 AM

15. I knew someone would try and talk down my boner. I won't let you!

What a bunch of PC CRAP. I wonder what you would sound like after a good stootful of tequila, considering what you sound like now? Good God

BTW you never finished the story about they guy who wanted to blow you??

Posted by: James | Jun 11, 2008 11:22:13 AM

16. I wonder what you'd sound like pistol-whipped and tossed on a barbed wire fence to die, James.

Got a Big Ol' Stiffy out of that one I'm sure.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 11, 2008 12:00:14 PM

17. Shia LaBoeuf ain't hot at all.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 11, 2008 12:16:01 PM

18. So much for June being PRIDE Month! Is my Towleroad Electronic Calendar malfunctioning or is it actually typically this time of year when more Voluntary Morons gather round to show how much they've internalized homophobia to the point that it seems that it would take someone literally sticking a gun to their head [thank you, David E., for making that connection in this the ten-year anniversary of Shepard's torture/murder] to get them to react. Is it just a symptom of school being out and stupid kids having nothing better to do but go onto blogs and reveal their stupidity?

And WHERE in "He regrets having used the word in any capacity and is very embarrassed that this footage is being seen by anyone" is the actual APOLOGY? Sounds far more like I regret what I did because I got caught and I regret getting caught.

I recently read that his "asking price" for films is now $10 MILLION per. Between another hack cypher falling upward through the mental cracks in Follywood and the too-retarded-to-know-they're-self-loathing TRUE Faggots above, would anyone like to buy a fake LV handbag in which to join the world in going to Hell?

Posted by: Leland Frances | Jun 11, 2008 1:22:57 PM

19. I don't let anyone use the term 'faggot" in my presence, without letting that person know that i find its use offensive and disrespectful.

Posted by: grego | Jun 11, 2008 1:36:46 PM

20. Well then, I guess it must be time to write to Websters and have the words: fag and faggot stript from their books. For the English use the word fag to describe a cigarett, and a faggot is an ember of burning wood. So, are you all going to get pissed off and holy roller when someone describes a burning piece of wood as a faggot??? Come one and get over yourselves already. Like some one has already said, "Words only have power when you give it power." Wise advise. Lighten up. Time for this overly PC retarded world to let a lot of the hate and anger go. Or, if you just cant do that, go lock yourselves up, turn off the TV's, Radios and Computers, for you are all in for a long long, lonely life.

Posted by: Crash | Jun 11, 2008 1:51:45 PM

21. The Internet really is passive aggressive heaven.

Posted by: anon | Jun 11, 2008 2:15:04 PM

22. That's so gay.

Posted by: steve cruz | Jun 11, 2008 2:21:13 PM

23. But he wasn't talking about a burning peice of wood, he was trying to get someone to hit him by insulting them with a deragatory term for apparently one of the most undesirable things you can label someone as: a homosexual.

It's actually about more than the word, its about the perception that "gay" is so inherently bad that you can even use it to describe anything at all that you dislike in any way. The idea of homosexuality itself is being used as an insult, a threat. He was calling him a faggot because supposedly the greatest detriment to a man's masculinity is to be gay.

As for I'm-a LaDouche, I could honestly care less about him or what he says. I know that he is simultaniously a perpetrator and a victim of this phenomenon in society, as most of us are. What bothers me most is that this negative perception of homosexuality is so widespread and accepted that even many homosexuals don't realize the part it plays in our social status as undesirable and inferior to others.

Thats why I cringe when I hear gay folks describe things they don't like as "gay" or insult other people by calling them "faggots." They're not just words, they are perceptions. When "gay" is the worst thing something or someone can be, it has a very real negative effect on the psychological health and happiness of gay people (particularly the young and confused/conflicted) in general.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 11, 2008 2:24:43 PM

24. There's that half-assed apology I said would come. SCORE! He beat GLAAD to the punch. Well done, LaDouche.

Personally, I love the word "faggot" when it's used by family (other SELF-RESPECTING, "out" homos). I use it, my friends use it, and we look at it as a badge of honor because we've earned the right to use it because we're open and honest about who/what we are. See that? EARNED THE RIGHT TO USE IT. That's something straight guys and closet cases haven't done, therefor they have no business tossing it around all willy-nilly. And neither do self-loathing fags like many of the ones above. If you're using it as a cut-to-the-quick insult, you shouldn't be using it at all.

Posted by: Chas | Jun 11, 2008 2:56:11 PM

25. you know what, say what you want people.

who give a fuck who says what as long as it's not being said directly to someone to harm them.

I say shit like that all the time, stuff that's not politically correct

but let's look at politics

the term "politically correct" in itself is a fucking oxymoron

I's till fuck him

and let him fuck me

an a big fuck you to those offended. you got your panties all in a bunch

Posted by: Ryan | Jun 11, 2008 3:02:53 PM