Antonio Sabato, Jr. | Chelsea Handler | News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Antonio Sabato Jr Can't Decide if He'd Choose To Be Gay or Stupid

Sabato1

On last night's Chelsea Lately, Antonio Sabato Jr. was on talking about his role on General Hospital: Night Shift, a prime time spin-off which looks at the nocturnal activities of characters related to the daytime soap. After showing a clip in which the gay innuendo runs high (screencap below), they get into a discussion of whether Antonio would rather be gay or stupid, as he looks either/or in the clip. I've transcribed it for you:

CHELSEA: So in that scene you're with a guy, is there a gay storyline there?

SABATO JR: No not for me, no.

CHELSEA: Okay, a little bit on the show is there?

SABATO JR: There is, actually. There is. There always has to be a gay storyline these days, otherwise they're not hip.

CHELSEA: Okay. But you - because I looked at your body on there and I would think to myself, you're either gay or really stupid. Anyone who has a body that looks like you - and it's the same with women - you're ether really gay or really dumb...So if you had to choose gay or stupid what would you choose? If you had to be one what would you choose?

SABATO JR: I gotta be political, that's a tough question.

CHELSEA: (whispers) Just say gay.

SABATO JR: No, I won't answer that.

Apparently he's stupid. And the conversation continues to confirm that.

CHELSEA: You're very handsome you obviously know that. You were a Calvin Klein model.

SABATO JR: I don't know I'm handsome. I don't get up in the morning and go I'm handsome.

CHELSEA: Oh please. Yes of course you do.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Sabato2

Comments

1. hey, hey Toni. stupid is as stupid does. gotta love those oh so hip gay storylines these days - they are all the rage here in the big ole stupid heartland.

as to "Chelsea" (is there really a more stupid name?) - does "gay or stupid" imply that gay = smart? last time I checked, gay had more to do with what a guy wanted to do with his cock. whoops - guess that's not one of those "hip" gay storylines going out on the soaps.

coupled with the cheesy beefcake of Jessie from Big Bro & the Nelly spread, this blog is lookin more bigmuscle as the days go by.

Posted by: resurrect | Jul 30, 2008 9:26:16 AM

2. I'm so over this has been. He's played gay in a bunch of his "movies" ... and let's face it, he's not a very good actor which is probably why his career never went anywhere.

Posted by: Yasuri Yamileth | Jul 30, 2008 9:31:34 AM

3. I actually watched this last night. She set him up in a fun way. He is a has been,but was not homophopic in the least.

Posted by: cb4222 | Jul 30, 2008 9:39:13 AM

4. His hotness fizzled faster than most, and that tailspin was over a decade ago already.

meanwhile, what of Jeff Aqualon, Klein's first 6-pac model?

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 30, 2008 9:41:18 AM

5. His hotness fizzled faster than most, and that tailspin was over a decade ago already.

meanwhile, what of Jeff Aqualon, Klein's first 6-pac model?

Posted by: A.J. | Jul 30, 2008 9:42:38 AM

6. What a stupid question. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one. He's not gay so she's basically saying "you must be stupid" His not wanting to answer is rejecting her false choice question that he has to be one or the other. He's always been comfortable playing gay, and I think bringing that clip along shows he's good humored.

Posted by: Scott B. | Jul 30, 2008 9:45:30 AM

7. RESURRECT, I disagree with you about Chelsea. I think she is funny, and fought hard to come up with many examples to counter her point that people with chiseled bodies like that are either gay or stupid. She's pretty much right, and certainly close enough to make a hilarious comment.

Posted by: Dan B | Jul 30, 2008 9:47:23 AM

8. I love Chelsea and Kathy Griffin... lol thats a riot!

Posted by: Joe | Jul 30, 2008 9:48:55 AM

9. Actually, this is the kind of joke me and my friends make all the time. I think it's kind of funny.

And AS isn't quite as stupid as he seems. He was bright enough not to touch this tar baby of a question.

Posted by: PJ | Jul 30, 2008 10:19:23 AM

10. People, people, people.....be kind! Stupid is NOT A CHOICE!

Posted by: kile Ozier | Jul 30, 2008 10:27:49 AM

11. I wonder if the same diatribes would have been hurled at a John Barrowman or any other openly gay man if the question was posed as “Would you rather be straight or stupid?” and he (they) answered much the way Sabato did. Sure, Sabato is Z-List, and sure he’s a big mook, and yes, he’s a terrible actor, but I don’t find offense at his answer.

If the question was posed to me, would I rather be straight or stupid, I’d say stupid. I don’t want to change who I am inherently (besides, you can always learn not to be stupid).

I mean, Chelsea (the neighborhood, not Handler. Although…) is filled with thousands of stupid – very stupid - gay men…none of whom would change their sexual identity over smarts. At least, I hope they wouldn’t.

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Jul 30, 2008 10:29:03 AM

12. Dimwitted hasbeen? Yes. Homophobe? Probably not. It was definitely a fucked moment on his part though the question may have gotten the answer it deserved. For what it's worth dude has lots of gay friends.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jul 30, 2008 10:33:51 AM

13. Poor AS, Jr. has always been dumber than a box of rocks, but he sure used to be purdier than a new tractor. He has also been consistently "gay for pay" throughout his life, both in his career and in his personal behaviour. Ask Calvin Kelin, inter alia, whether AS, Jr.'s heels have ever danced the ceiling cha cha.

Posted by: rudy | Jul 30, 2008 10:37:08 AM

14. A tempest in a teapot, more likely. Antonio seems pretty comfortable with the gays... Heck, he's been rumored to be bi for decades, and I tend to believe it. Chelsea's question wasn't offensive... Just probing and goofy, which is her style.

Posted by: Pavel | Jul 30, 2008 10:41:59 AM

15. Antonio comes across as yet another homophobic liberal. You know, they're the ones who treat us well when we're politically useful to them. But when it comes to our male-male affections, the collective liberal response is "yuck" or "not me". Female-female, on the other hand, gets a collective applause from them. I say "flush them". I certainly won't be voting for any liberal or Democrat candidate this year, primarily for this reason.

Liberalism is a hypocritical philosophy based on male heterosexual fantasy.

Posted by: jason | Jul 30, 2008 10:45:51 AM

16. Nice convoluted try, Jason. Now crawl back to the Rethuglican website you typically inhabit.

Posted by: Leandro | Jul 30, 2008 10:48:43 AM

17. Holy shit, Jason! Antonio Sabato Jr. is running for office? I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 30, 2008 10:54:10 AM

18. Leandro,

LOL. I can't remember the last time I voted Republican, if at all.

I know it irks the gay and bi male community to say what I did. But it's true, and the truth hurts.

Liberals are phonies, period. Their public stance is that they support gay rights. But the truth is they don't want us gay/bi men holding hands or kissing in their clubs or in their general presence, basically. They want us out of there.

It's a phony acceptance based on segregation. Write these words down and never forget them.

Posted by: jason | Jul 30, 2008 10:57:54 AM

19. Oh for Chrissake Jason... really? You're not voting for any liberal or Democrat because they visualize male-male affection and think "yuck"? What a dumb thing to factor into an important decision. I think vaginas and hairy assholes are kinda yucky, but I've never made any substantive decisions based on that, and I support those who feel differently.

Besides, what does this have to do with Antonio Sabato? Chelsea's question was poorly phrased, causing a stumbling, incoherent answer. I don't care if Sabato's legs have been in the air (I'll never stand a chance with him, so it doesn't matter). What does matter is the fact that offending GLBT people on the public airwaves is no longer socially acceptable. That is a great thing. Longitudinally, our efforts have made changes in people's behavior. Changing their internal thought processes shouldn't be an issue... people can think my sex life is yucky if they want as long as I have the same rights as everyone else.

Posted by: The Milkman | Jul 30, 2008 11:04:29 AM

20. Jason, I'm amazed at how you can take a post like this--a silly question asked to an actor on a cable soap opera spin-off--and turn it into a reason for you to hop on your soap box and spout off about how you're going to vote in the election.

Even though I think you over-analyze and I rarely agree with you, I do admire your chutzpah. Still, most of the time you make me long for the days of the JimmyBoyo & Leland posts...

Posted by: back2thefuture | Jul 30, 2008 11:05:05 AM

21. Shit! Somebody got a pen? I need to scribble down Jason's pearls of wisdumb.

Posted by: 24play | Jul 30, 2008 11:08:34 AM

22. Jason, Put down the shovel, darlin'; the hole you keep digging is already sufficiently large. Not every stupid person is a liberal, as you so eloquently demonstrate.

Posted by: rudy | Jul 30, 2008 11:09:12 AM

23. He was interviewed on Frank DeCaro's radio show on Sirius yesterday. Frank asked him about his role in Testosterone in which his character was in a romantic relationship with a man. He talked about what a challenge it was to deal with the "homosexuality of the role."

He really sounded dumb and Frank had to work for the interview.

Posted by: sam | Jul 30, 2008 11:14:48 AM

24. Stupid or gay? Jason says, "Why choose?"

Posted by: 24play | Jul 30, 2008 11:17:42 AM

25. "There always has to be a gay storyline these days, otherwise they're not hip" sounds like something a right-winger would say.

Posted by: Jason | Jul 30, 2008 11:32:29 AM