New York | News | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Sean Hayes Back in Action on New York Stage

Sean_hayes

Sean Hayes, who opens this week in a New York production of Damn Yankees with Cheyenne Jackson and Jane Krakowski, sits down with the New York Times:

“For me, the basis of [success as an actor] comes from a love of everything you do. But the byproduct of being a star or a celebrity may be that you have to give up certain pieces of yourself. And you do have to sell part of your soul when you’re an actor — because that’s what you’re showing people. You have an audience, and if you don’t have an audience you’re just being weird in front of the mirror.”

In other news, Hayes is working on a TV series called Bi-Coastal, "about a guy with a wife and kids in California and a boyfriend in New York."

(via kenneth in the 212)

Comments

1. He'll always be "Billy" to me.

And this "Bi-Coastal" show sounds like it could be interesting provided it's being written by people who know what they're talking about and that it'll air on a network that won't keep it on a short leash.

Posted by: Chas | Jul 7, 2008 4:07:54 PM

2. @CHAS Yeah, right? I am so sick of entertainment being moralized or kinder-ized. I am amazed that CBS is still airing Swingtown. That show features insinuated heterosexuality and people are up in arms about it. And LOGO has been playing things way too safe in my opinion. They're owned by MTV for chrisakes. MTV!
    Maybe Bravo will snap it up. NBC has history with Sean and Bravo is where they seem to be able to let their hair down programming-wise. Fingers crossed!

Posted by: Dave | Jul 7, 2008 4:34:53 PM

3. Sean "I refuse to discuss my sexual orientation" Hayes. Can you imagine Carson Kressley refusing to discuss the fact that he's gay. Hayes, the gay minstrel, is a joke and it's on us.

Posted by: John in Manhattan | Jul 7, 2008 4:44:42 PM

4. Dave,
    I have to agree with you. Bravo is the "Gay" channel. LOGO is just "Gay Lite."

Posted by: Avi Hellmann | Jul 7, 2008 4:45:52 PM

5. Dave,
    I have to agree with you. Bravo is the "Gay" channel. LOGO is just "Gay Lite."

Posted by: Avi Hellmann | Jul 7, 2008 4:46:55 PM

6. ...is he even out, yet?

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jul 7, 2008 4:50:46 PM

7. Why does Sean look like JC Chasez in that picture?

Posted by: davefromtampa | Jul 7, 2008 4:50:47 PM

8. Cocksuckah!

Posted by: 24play | Jul 7, 2008 5:01:44 PM

9. LOGO is definitely "Gay Lite PG" but Bravo is NOT the "Gay channel"! Bravo is the "Fag Minstrel Show Channel."

Hold please. What? We're supposed to luv the entire gay male community portrayed as castrato cartoons like Carsssson and Christian Ssssiarno? Interesting. Could you pass the watermelon.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Jul 7, 2008 5:38:13 PM

10. I've enjoyed Sean's work but have been so disapointed in his refusal to be proudly open about himself that I really don't care to even think about him anymore.

Posted by: phil | Jul 7, 2008 6:00:11 PM

11. Bi-Coastal is setup @ Showtime. I'm not sure if they'll do it (they've had a directive to stray away from gay programming for the past few years), but Hayes is attached to produce and it's being written by one of the writers from Big Love.

Posted by: cameron | Jul 7, 2008 6:00:35 PM

12. MIKEY, your harsh criticism of sissified queers is way lame. There's nothing wrong with being femme and fabulous, honey. It takes all types.

Posted by: chas | Jul 7, 2008 6:20:41 PM

13. Chaslene, chile, the criticism was directed at producers who try to reinforce the myth that there AREN'T "all types."

But, yes, PROFESSIONAL Flaming Fags AKA Media Whores like Carson and Xtian and Ross the Wonder Horse er Intern who purposely turn up the flame and would light their pencil dicks on fire and deep throat George Bush on live TV if it paid enough in money and/or attention cannot be crucified enough.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Jul 7, 2008 6:34:47 PM

14. Have to agree with the insight on Bravo. I don't have Showtime, but admit to being somewhat of a fan of Sean Hayes, or should I say Jack McFarlane? Anyone seen that surf movie Shelter which featured a performance by Brad Rowe who was Sean Hayes' object of affection in Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss? I liked it. Worth checking out.

Posted by: Derrick | Jul 7, 2008 6:38:16 PM

15. I love Sean Hayes. And I think he is totally entitled to not talk about his sexual orientation if he so chooses. Every actor does not have to go public about it, and as long as they don't go macho and beardy, then, I'm fine with it, really. I personally do not think we should, as an audience, be harsh on possibly gay actors while drooling on proudly straight actors strutting their stuff half naked all the time. Just my two cents.
    And yes, I also loved Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss!

Posted by: Nick | Jul 7, 2008 6:39:04 PM

16. Once while on vacation I met a federal judge in precisely the situation decribed by Bi-Coastal. Boyfriend knew about the wife---wife most certainly did not know about the boyfriend.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 7, 2008 6:43:54 PM

17. Once while on vacation I met a federal judge in precisely the situation decribed by Bi-Coastal. Boyfriend knew about the wife---wife most certainly did not know about the boyfriend.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 7, 2008 6:45:22 PM

18. ...perhaps so, Nick... All I'm sayin' is that, according to Towleroad, being out at work can enhance one's performance; and, if Sean's goin't'Broadway, well, I'm just sayin'....

Posted by: kile Ozier | Jul 7, 2008 6:58:19 PM

19. "Chaslene"...MIKEY, honey, if I ever decide to do drag and need a name, that's the one I'm pickin'!

Now how do you know these "PROFESSIONAL Flaming Fags" you speak of are just putting on an act? Have you met them? Do you see them on the day-to-day? Since Ross the Intern is basically comic relief (to put it politely) on 'The Tonight Show' I can see how you'd say he's playing up his faggotry, but why would Christian or Carson need bother? Especially Christian, who won 'Project Runway' based on his considerable talent, not his flaminess.

Obviously you're passionate about gay issues, which is I think is great. But you come off like a Faginazi when you rail against "the wrong kinds of gays". Most of us aren't going live up to your standards of model gayness. Scratch that. Most of us aren't going to BOTHER TRYING to live up your standards of model gayness.

Posted by: Chas | Jul 7, 2008 7:58:00 PM

20. Excellent post Chas. Until the internal homophobia stops, the heterosexuals have carte blanche to hate us and beat us up and kill us. I mean after all, who likes men that act so "girly"? (can you see the sarcasm dripping from that last sentence?)

Folks, we all look alike when sucking a cock or having it sucked. Get over your pissy stereotype phobias and deal with the real threat, the pseudo-christians and the fuckin' republicans who want to run our lives and dictate how we live.

Posted by: Bobby | Jul 7, 2008 8:52:41 PM

21. photoshop or eye job?

Posted by: courtney | Jul 7, 2008 9:02:33 PM

22. Effeminacy sucks. Never will be attractive, regardless of who our enemies are.

Posted by: bleepers | Jul 7, 2008 10:31:17 PM

23. Aside from "Bleepers" who is an idiot, I haven't read a comment coming out against the idea of effeminacy in the gay community. It's when acting like a sissified women becomes a mainstream stereotype that people SHOULD be up in arms.

I adore Siriano. He's fierce with a capital F, but no one can deny that gay men are desexualized and have their masculinity stripped to play for laughs. Gay men come in all shapes, sizes, and colors and this fact should be seen more in television and the media. Instead we get Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Project Runway. And I will say I enjoy both shows.

Sean should bite the bullet and come out. It's the big pink elephant in the room that no one is allowed to talk about. In the end it's his choice.

Posted by: Seann | Jul 7, 2008 11:24:05 PM

24. SEANN,

I agree with the desexualization part, but maybe not every gay man is concerned with his masculinity (or lack thereof) or masculinity in general. Masculinity isn't everything to everyone. Some boys will boys and some won't.

Posted by: Chas | Jul 8, 2008 1:16:52 AM