Barack Obama | Billie Jean King | News | Sarah Palin | Sports | Tennis

BigGayDeal.com

Billie Jean King Clarifies: 'I am Supporting Barack Obama'

Billie Jean King has clarified statements that she made to the New York Observer regarding Sarah Palin. I reported on her quote this morning.

Billiejeanking_4Said King in a statement to 365gay: "Last Friday, a reporter from the New York Observer asked me what I thought about Sarah Palin. I told her I thought Sarah Palin was honest and real. I believe that. But, that in no way should be viewed as an endorsement of any kind. I oppose many of the positions of Sarah Palin, particularly those tied to the LGBT community. I am supporting Barack Obama and, in fact, I have lent my name to both Women for Obama and the Obama LGBT Steering and Policy Committee."

Previously
Billie Jean King: Sarah Palin 'Great...Awesome...Honest...Real' [tr]

Comments

1. So Billy Jean likes her, just not "in that way."

Posted by: Jonathan | Sep 9, 2008 5:53:04 PM

Posted by: DONOVAN | Sep 9, 2008 5:57:56 PM

3. Novel in the sense that it only applies to Palin but doesn't apply to Obama. Nice try, Donovan.

Posted by: sugarrhill | Sep 9, 2008 6:05:22 PM

4. Donovan, disagreeing with political views is all well and good... but when those views include institutionalization of the discrimination and dehumanization of my family, I can't just agree to disagree and like them anyway. Sorry. No.

Posted by: The Milkman | Sep 9, 2008 6:07:03 PM

5. what do you get when you cross billie jean king with bo derek? you get a DC10..

Posted by: the queen | Sep 9, 2008 6:20:43 PM

6. How is it "honest and real" of Palin to lie about the Bridge to Nowhere, among many other things? Billy Jean is apparently dumber than a box of hair not to think this through.

Posted by: seattle mike | Sep 9, 2008 6:52:02 PM

7. Palin is a politician. So is Obama. They are both opportunists and panderers driven by their egos. The only difference between between the two is that you think that the Obama will make you a better future. But to believe for one second that Obama and Palin or McCain or Hillary are not politicians makes you completely delusional.

And I fully respect Billy Jean in her comments. I personally respect Palin if I don't agree with her stance.

Posted by: yoshi | Sep 9, 2008 7:25:47 PM

8. I suspected that she was impressed by Palin's strength of personality rather than with her views. (I feel the same way, tho honest and real aren't the first adjectives I'd use.) But I'm glad she clarified. It seemed unlikely BJK would endorse an anti-gay anti-choice religious zealot like Palin, but some gay people perversely manage to love the enemy.

Posted by: Ernie | Sep 9, 2008 7:29:52 PM

9. OH Jesus fuckin' christ!~ BRAVO....i left a comment on the other article...I guess getting on my knees does work *wink* LOL

OBAMA 4 QUEER ARTIST!!! YAY!

Posted by: bosie | Sep 9, 2008 7:44:48 PM

10. ALL the polls are wrong!!!

poll-madness-mccain-takes_n_125158.html

2008/9/9/18192/04144/290/592615

sorry mccain lovers, its over

Its complicated to but summed up the media wants a horse race for ratings

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Sep 9, 2008 8:04:10 PM

11. I can't wait for the debates. We dems are doing to show
    them how it's done. I am glad BJK cleared this up.

Posted by: will | Sep 9, 2008 8:43:04 PM

12. Wait a second...you can disagree with someone's political views while still respecting some of their qualities?! What a novel idea...

Posted by: DONOVAN
    -----------------------
    I don't respect people who lie and expect us to believe them, even when the lies are pointed out. I also have no respect anyone who says God tells them what to do. People who hear voices get locked up for a good reason.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Sep 9, 2008 9:35:57 PM

13. Billie Jean is awsome. She was sued by a woman and admitted an affair when most of you were still learning to wipe your asses. She's done more for the women's movement and the gay movement than any of you will ever do. She's a lot of things, but she's not dumb. She clarified, and if you people aren't satisfied with that, it says more about your ignorance than it does about her character.

Posted by: David T | Sep 9, 2008 9:40:33 PM

14. Why aren't you guys covering this story like everyone else?

"The money was supposed to go to support the California Family Council's charitable mission, instead, most of it went into the pockets of the organization's employees."

An anti-gay nonprofit fighting to eliminate gay marriage in California lines the pockets of its executive director. At least deserves a mention, don't you think?

Posted by: Wondering | Sep 9, 2008 9:47:06 PM

15. I really think to be fully educated, we must all stop believing EVERYTHING we read about Gov. Palin. Go to factcheck.org a non partisan group. READ IT. No book banning AT ALL. No cutting funding for special ed. NO group for Alaska to leave the US. But I'm sure most will say that this site has been hacked by right wingers. But at least check it out anyway.

Posted by: BC | Sep 9, 2008 9:48:10 PM

16. "She clarified, and if you people aren't satisfied with that, it says more about your ignorance than it does about her character."

Wait, having done something positive in the past means that no one can question the things you do in the present or the future?

Her clarification doesn't really clarify anything. She called Palin "great, awesome, honest, and real." She didn't retract that statement. Palin is anything but great. She seeks to erode the rights of women and LGBT people. That is anything but great or awesome. Palin lies continuously. That's not honest.

We're left with real. I can agree with BJK that Sarah Palin is real. She's entirely too real. Terrifyingly real.

Posted by: Mark | Sep 9, 2008 9:48:48 PM

17. Next we'll be hearing that BJK was a POW and therefore she can't be criticized for anything she says. (And David T, I'm a lot older than you think. So save your ass-wiping comments for someone else.)

Posted by: seattle mike | Sep 9, 2008 9:49:31 PM

18. I think what Billie Jean really wanted to say was "yeah, I'll eff her, but I certainly wouldn't vote for her!!!"

Posted by: Bading | Sep 9, 2008 10:15:18 PM

19. Patricknyc

"People who hear voices get locked up for a good reason."

-LOL

The voices tell me that what you posted was funny

:-)

------------------------------

BC

-Who claimed she cut special ed? I do know that BIDEN himself called out the mccain campaign on stem cell research and how it holds potential to help special needs kids.

- who claimed she banned books? She did discuss with the librarian banning books and later claimed it was a hypothetical. The Librarian was fired over some supposed loyalty test and reinstated later.

- Her husband was a registered (per public access to voter registrations) AKIP for 7 yrs and switched to indie the yr Palin ran for her first political office. Palin herself talked to the AKIP per a video and was very supportive via her words 2008. The mccain campaign even admits her atending the AKIP convention in 2004. True she is not a registered member BUT!!!!!

Half truths are not full truths

half truths are not facts

True on all accounts , but way off on the basic acusation to begin with.

---------------------------------

Wondering

thanks for posting the link

If I may direct your attention to the right side of your screen and near the top of the page...........

There is a nifty little clickable thing called "tips". Via "tips" you can send the link to Andy (the owner of this blog) and he can look at it and maybe post a thread about it.

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 9, 2008 10:19:49 PM

20. As I predicted...

Posted by: anon | Sep 10, 2008 12:44:59 AM

21. I don't know why people, especially the Rethuglican gays, are so nice to Palin. I mean, did you want to join her at an ex-gay camp?

...

Thought so.

Jimmy - I reploied to your post earlier...

Posted by: Landis | Sep 10, 2008 1:15:15 AM

22. while BJK has is a hero of mine, i cannot agree with her that Palin is honest. and, if she is not honest, how can she be "real"?

Posted by: nic | Sep 10, 2008 1:57:55 AM

23. Cool Landis

Checking it out

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Sep 10, 2008 11:21:40 AM

24. SUGARHILL, THE MILKMAN, PATRICK NYC:

Um, excuse me, I'm just trying to point out saying ONE positive thing about someone does NOT mean you support them politically. It means you said one positive thing about them. I didn't say you have to like anyone, and it's not a case of agreeing to disagree; it's simply admitting someone's merits despite the fact you aren't going to vote for them. Is that sooooo crazy? If we can't do that without people jumping to "omg u support teh Devil!!!"...that's just sad. Sorry, I'm just sick of overly partisan idiots. On both sides. How exactly does it help...? It just makes elections about winning via whichever side can drum up the most cultishly blind followers.

Posted by: DONOVAN | Sep 10, 2008 11:51:50 AM

25. DONOVAN I am well aware of what you DIDN'T say, I unlike you, read your post.
    ............
    'you can disagree with someone's political views while still respecting some of their qualities?!'
    .............

You wrote that you 'respected' some of her qualities. I said I had no respect for liars or people who claim that God talks to, or tells them, what to do. It is clear she has the ability to get the GOP fired up, if you consider it a quality, when it is based on lies, good for you.

I said nothing of you supporting, liking, agreeing, disagreeing or voting for Palin. Nor did I say you support the Devil. What is sad is that you are in a way just like MsShame and Palin, saying things that are clearly not based on facts. Try reading my post again and tell me where I said what you responded to?

Posted by: patrick nyc | Sep 10, 2008 2:55:23 PM