Florida Governor Charlie Crist: Gay Marriage Ban Not ‘Top Tier’ For Me

Florida Governor Charlie Crist said he won’t campaign for the anti-gay marriage amendment set to appear on the state’s November ballot.

CristmccainSaid Crist: “I’ll support it, I’ll vote for it, move on. It’s not top-tier for me, put it that way…I think I will campaign for candidates much more extensively — Sen. McCain.”

According to the Sun-Sentinel, “The one-sentence amendment defines marriage as between one man and one woman and bars any other ‘legal union’ that is an equivalent to marriage — a standard that would ban civil unions and, critics contend, could cast doubt on domestic-partner benefits.”

A recent poll showed the measure falling short of the 60% vote it needs to pass. Crist, long the subject of rumors that he’s gay, recently announced he’s going to marry his girlfriend, who owns a company that manufactures beards.

Comments

1. miquowoti says

I’m a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.

2. Ben says

Well said BANSHII.

As for Crist, my money is that now that he is not the nominee for VP, that marriage does not happen. Same goes for Pallin’s daughter. If they don’t win in Nov (and they won’t) no reason for the shotguns to come out.

3. patrick nyc says

I agree BEN, in fact if Crist had gotten the VP nod he would have supported and campaigned for the ban. Now he is playing it safe, for his future in the state.

As for your beliefs miquowoti, how dare you impose them on anyone else, which is why Palin is so unfit for the job.

4. patrick nyc says

Crist is one of those I’m tired of hearing about re: rumors. It’s time for the Fla boys to put up (some evidence) or shut up and let’s move on.

Posted by: ATLsteve
    ——————-
    While I agree people should be prepared to back up quotes about anyone they talk about the sad truth is that most closet cases tend to swim in their won ponds. They tend to troll bathrooms (Craig), use hustlers (Haggard), or hit the Log Cabin meetings.

The chances of any of them stepping up and doing the right thing is in direct proportion to the sleaze bags they trick with.

5. mcQ says

Miquowoti,

A legal marriage and a spiritual marriage are two different things. The first, performed by someone with civil authority, is the joining of two people in the eyes of the State. The second , performed by someone with religious or spiritual authority, is the joining of two people in the eyes of God.

Your objection confers the State with the authority of God. Is that what you intend?

6. miquowoti says

Obama has said that he opposes gay marriage but is in favor of civil unions. During a taping of WBBM-AM’s “At Issue,” he was asked his personal views on gay marriage. “I’m a Christian, and so although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman,” Obama said. But the Democratic state senator added that he does not understand people who say gay marriage somehow threatens the sanctity of marriage as an institution.

7. patrick nyc says

———————-
    I agree but the civil unions the government issue are called ‘Marriage Licenses’, so until they issue the same to all citizens, it is a double standard. No matter which party you belong to.

8. mike says

You just gotta love the irony that a closeted gay man is going to cover his tracks by marrying a beard heiress!

On a more serious note: misquowoti. No one gives a rat’s @ss that you are a “christian” (typical of your ilk that you announce it as if you’re so SPECIAL). That’s your damn business. You want to be a spiritual pervert? Fine. But here’s the deal: marriage is no more “sanctified” than my sweat socks. Marriage is a centuries old CULTURAL tradition with deep roots in misogyny and patriarchal oppression. It has little to do with love or religion and more to do with the control of women and the economic dominance of men over women and other men. Two people who love one another should NEVER be denied their right to civilly legalize their commitment. The key word is “civilly”. You wing-nut evangelicals all seem to think that a marauding horde of marriage-minded gays are going to show up on your churches’ doorsteps, demanding to “get hitched”. Believe me, YOUR church is the LAST place I’d ever want to get married in. Get out of secular politics and stop using the power of the state to force your religious “beliefs” down my–and everybody’s–throats.

9. todd says

Heterosexuals have done a damn fine job of ruining the “sanctity” of marriage…most gays I know do not want a HOLY/SACRED marriage they just want it recognized as legal. Getting married in a church has nothing to do with anything?!? it’s simply a ritual. The church does not issue a marriage license, the government does..which should be available to all citizens. The church has every right to say who can get married in their church..but that is where their power stops! SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE?! DUH!

10. Chad says

Miquouwoti- Yes we know republicans are anti-gay bigots and dems have been responsible for any civil rights gays are privy to. So yes while its not the time yet for a presidential nominee to say hes for gay marriage, the dems are always fighting for gay rights while trash like Mccain and Palin find new ways to harm or stop any progress for gay rights,capiche.

11. Chad says

12. Wheezy says

Does anybody one want to put money on Christy jilting the Beard-ess and eloping with one of the Ushers? Seriously, if he’s not going to support it, it means he himself wants to get gay spliced. You know, just like the Gay Patriots and the Log Cabinettes.

13. says

Patrick, you are so right. I’ve never understood why everyone couldn’t just go down and get a legal contract (which all straight couples do)at City Hall. If they wanted a religious blessing anyone should be able to go and have their blessing if that’s what they want or go smoke some doobies at their lesbian friends’ house. Who cares? As long as they signed their contracts they’re good to go. Isn’t this what the constitution is about?