Film | Harvey Milk | James Franco | Kiss | Sean Penn

BigGayDeal.com

James Franco is OUT's Milk Man

Francoout

Apparently it was OUT magazine that Franco told about Sean Penn's "popping the cherry" text to Madonna, because it's a cover line on their latest issue.

Gawker has more on the interview. Said Franco of Penn: "At one point during rehearsals, the idea was thrown out that Sean and I would go to the apartment that we eventually shot in and spend a night or two there just to, like — I don’t know what — feel comfortable with each other? That idea was kind of thrown out but ended up not happening because of scheduling. I approached the relationship part as I would approach any relationship. When I’m working with another actor or actress that I’m supposed to have a relationship with, I’ll look for things in the person I like. My other hero on the film was Sean, so it wasn’t too hard to look up to him — or whatever that is....Basically, I’ve been in love with him since even before Fast Times."

Comments

1. The thing that struck me about the cover of OUT was the bit which says "An Ode To Hugh Hefner". OUT has either lost its mind or is joking. An Ode to Hugh Hefner? Give me a break. The man deserves to be in the Hall Of Infamy for the way he has promoted the bisexual double standard throughout his career. Hugh is one of the reasons that female sexual fluidity is celebrated in the mainstream whereas male sexual fluidity is marginalized or completely ignored in the mainstream.

Message to OUT magazine: get a grip. Hugh is NOT our friend. Hugh has promoted the bisexual double standard, a double standard which is now starting to be felt as it becomes established in the mainstream. We gay and bi men will suffer as a result as we become even more segregated while lesbians/bi women become mainstream. The aim of this bisexual double standard is to keep the display of male-male affection - but not female-female affection - out of mainstream settings.

Fuck off, Hugh - you've done enough damage.

Posted by: jason | Sep 29, 2008 12:22:47 PM

2. ANDY: Amen to: "With all the Franco publicity these days, it's a shame Sean Penn's MIA considering he's the star of the movie." Sean Penn should be on that cover. But of course it won't sell as many issues. Probably why Franco's cast in the movie too, for that matter. He's a god actor, but he sure brings the pretty. Of course, ultimately that's our own gay fault for being looks-obsessed and shallow as a "community". Even on such an important story as MILK -- shame on us.

Posted by: Strepsi | Sep 29, 2008 12:27:26 PM

3. Franco is a pretty man. I rarely had pretty men. I regret that...slightly.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 29, 2008 12:48:53 PM

4. I'm reminded of the conversation John Polson reports having with Russel Crowe during the filming of The Sum of Us. Polson suggested rehearsing their kissing scenes and Crowe, who would shortly be shooting The Quick and the Dead, demurred saying that he was going to be shooting a movie with Sharon Stone shortly and how did Polson think Stone would react to Crowe suggesting they rehearse their love scenes.

Posted by: Jonathan | Sep 29, 2008 12:49:18 PM

5. You guys should go to Google and do a search for "bisexual double standard +liberal" ... you'll see that our buddy Jason here posts hundreds and hundreds of comments all over the web about his pet topic. He can be found using various usernames at The Advocate, RollingStone, Village Voice, even Youtube. He posts as john77 at Huffington Post.

This guy is certifiably insane. He is one People magazine cover away from walking into a mall with a loaded shotgun and blowing away a food court.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 29, 2008 12:57:09 PM

6. CRISPY,

he just wants to "go down" on women. He should just hire some professional gals if he's too shy. But yeah, there is something a little Ted Bundyish in some of his rants. At first I thought he was amusing, now he makes me squirm.

Is he in this country? Can we alert the immigration people?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 29, 2008 1:09:54 PM

7. Good find, Crispy - I can't believe there are so many of them!

Posted by: Chris | Sep 29, 2008 1:11:54 PM

8. oh jason dahling you're being too harsh on hugh who definitely merits his place among the pantheon of notables who promoted and encouraged the sexual revolution and i never read anything derogatory in his magazines about gay people on the contrary they were always most supporting of gay issues, rights, etc....

Posted by: the queen | Sep 29, 2008 1:23:38 PM

9. "broke my cherry"? Who says that any more? For a guy it's a very odd joke to make.

Posted by: anon | Sep 29, 2008 1:32:15 PM

10. Crispy, it makes you wonder if Jason has been posting using different user names on here as well. Perhaps "The Queen", "HOGB", "Las Vegas", I've noticed similarities amongst them. Thanks for the find!

Posted by: CJ | Sep 29, 2008 1:35:00 PM

11. It's hard to tell what country Jason is in. At the Advocate, he lists LA as his hometown. However, in his YouTube profile he lists Australia as his hometown. And we know that the email address he gives here at Towleroad is an Australian domain. So I'm leaning toward Australia.

Jason frequently comments as olly45 which is also the name in the email address he uses. A search for "olly45" +Australia turns up a profile on a dating site. Probably not him though since there's no mention of bisexuality.

Posted by: crispy | Sep 29, 2008 1:44:09 PM

12. Jason, Olly45, John77, et al:

Seriously, do you really think your message is delivered effectively through comment sections?

You could easily and freely start your own blog, which would accomplish two worthy goals: (1) Since your comments are almost always off topic and irrelevant/not germane to the blogs on which you comment, your rants on your very own blog might actually get read by someone who cares.

(2) You would allow the rest of the commentariat to discuss *on-topic* rather than having to constantly remind you that your messages/rants are pointless and poorly delivered.

So... please... start your own blog and maybe you'll get the satisfaction you'll never find here or in any 'comments' section.

Posted by: i before e | Sep 29, 2008 2:06:55 PM

13. Jason, Olly45, John77, et al:

Posted by: i before e | Sep 29, 2008 2:09:33 PM

14. From Spain, please, what does "broke my cherry" means?

Posted by: Fernando | Sep 29, 2008 2:49:32 PM

15. Good catch CRISPY. I just thought JASON was a closeted GOP troll, who got off on being a douche bag, but the theory that he is a nut job one card from a melt down does fit the profile as well.

Either way he should be ignored by all who come here for posting views about daily events, not rants one would hear in a nut house.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Sep 29, 2008 2:57:27 PM

16. Hi, FERNANDO:

it must mean to have an orgasm in some American communities. It's funny though, when I was growing up (not in Beverly Hills) the term "busted her cherry" meant to deflower a woman. I didn't know a man could "bust his cherry". I know he can "bust a nut"...and very young men can do that over and over again.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Sep 29, 2008 3:02:25 PM

17. It's supposed to mean that a girl lost her virginity, thus, I think Sean meant it as a joke of some strange sort. I think in context he was joking that he came from kissing, which is far more than this gay man has ever achieved from the act.

Posted by: anon | Sep 29, 2008 3:55:41 PM

18. People use 'broke my cherry' for all sorts of 'firsts'. Cops use it for a rookie's first arrest, firemen use it for a fireman's first fire, soldiers use it for a soldiers first 'kill', etc etc.

Posted by: secretagentman | Sep 29, 2008 4:27:40 PM

19. In the UK it's "pop my cherry" which sounds a little less unpleasant, somehow - or is that just Brit squeamishness?

Posted by: hambone | Sep 30, 2008 10:28:09 PM

20. A lot of bloggers post on multiple sites and use multiper usernames to avoid a bias against people who form a bandwagon mentality against them. I doubt that Jason is insane and I think some of you are being very cruel & out of line. I hold passionate views on certain topics and I frequently post about it. That does not make me crazy. It is very painful when people who disagree with me, label me insane. I don't know Jason but I don't like this attitude on the internet. I know some of you, use different usernames and post on other sites. Don't be hypocrites. A lot of bloggers have their pet topics they can be obsessive about.
    Also, Crispy seems to have formed an agenda against Jason. Then people jumped on the bandwagon. You don't think his posts, were too harsh and bordering on insanely offensive itself? I don't like this cliquish mentality when certain people are not welcomed and they have to deal with such an intense backlash. Some people might find some of your comments offensive or stupid, how would you like it if people called you mentally ill? That is just really mean. His post was kind of off-topic and irrelevant but Hugh Hefner was mentioned on the magazine cover. I am defending a principle, not a person.

Anyway, I think James Franco is gorgeous and am glad he is expanding his resume. It shows he is open as an actor and as a person. It is not unusual for producers or the director to arrange a system in which co-stars get to know each other better so their scenes have more chemistry.

Posted by: Gerry | Apr 20, 2010 9:42:23 PM