Barack Obama | Cynthia Nixon | Florida | Hillary Clinton | News

Cynthia Nixon Makes Swing-State Stump for Obama

Nixon

Sex and the City's Cynthia Nixon told a crowd in Wilton Manors, Florida on Saturday that it was her first time ever campaigning for a candidate. Dan Renzi covered the appearance for the South Florida Blade.

Said Nixon: "I understand there are some die-hard Hillary fans out there, who loved her personally, and it meant the world to them that a woman was running, and there was a chance that a woman would be our next President. But I would say, 'What would Hillary do?' Hillary would vote for Obama."

She also cited her efforts as a parent, using some strong language to slam the current administration.

"I have two kids--one is six and one is twelve--and my twelve-year-old daughter has not known anything but George Bush. At least (adults) have a memory of somebody different, and a prospect that there will be somebody different in the future. It's been horrible for her to listen to the President, and listen to this fear-based, war-mongering, torture-supporting, homophobic, anti-immigrant bullshit."

Go Cynthia!

The New Activist [south florida blade]

Comments

1. I LOVE her so much more now. I remember her back when she was a child actress on stage and then in movies in the '80's, and always thought she would make it big someday. Never mind "Sex and the City" (which is a great show), she has been in some excellent independent films as of late. Good for her for taking a stand and speaking her mind.

Posted by: CJ | Oct 2, 2008 2:44:41 PM

2. mcshame pulling out of Michigan

1008/McCain_pulling_out_of_Michigan.
    html?showall

Bill Clinton still has the charm (makes a woman faint)

clinton-still-makes_n_131293.html

-------------------------------------

Happy days are here again
    The skies above are clear again
    Let us sing a song of cheer again
    Happy days are here again

Altogether shout it now!

Happy days are here again
    The skies above are clear again
    Let us sing a song of cheer again
    Happy days are here again

:-)
    Start buying those bottles of champagne now before the nov rush

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Oct 2, 2008 3:13:23 PM

3. Just to play devils advocate..

Here's some tidbits from McCain's interview with the gay publication "Washington Blade" yesterday.

(The first time a Republican Prez nominee has sat down with a gay publication)

Q. What personal experiences or friendships in your life have shaped how you view gay issues?

A.(on Jim Kolbe) "We served together starting in 1985. He’s a great American who spent two decades serving his country in Congress. He’s a friend and a patriot and has been an admirable public servant, and a good example of why someone’s sexuality should not be relevant in public life. "

"I have also known former Tempe Mayor [Neil] Giuliano for many years. He headed Mayors for McCain in our 2000 campaign. I stood by him when there was an effort to recall him in 2001, led by people who objected to him being an openly gay public official."

Q. Would you decline to nominate a qualified Supreme Court justice, cabinet member or other appointed position just because the person is openly gay?

A. I have always hired the most qualified and competent people — regardless of their political party, race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

(On Don't ask..Don't tell..) I’m willing to have the policy reviewed to make sure that’s the case, but at the end of the day, I’m going to rely on the commanders who will be impacted by a change in the law.

Q. What is your view of attempts to pass a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage? Do you think repeal of all of DOMA would prompt Congress to strongly consider and possibly pass a constitutional ban on gay marriage?

A.I voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment in 2004 and 2006....

Q. When asked last year whether condoms help stop the spread of HIV, you were uncertain. Are you confident that condoms do help stop the spread of HIV?

A. Of course they help, but we can’t remove responsibility from the equation. Condoms aren’t fail-proof. People must behave responsibly and make wise decisions. Government can help with prevention strategies, but all people must choose to take responsibility for their own health.

Entire interview:

Obama/Biden '08

Posted by: daveynyc | Oct 2, 2008 3:31:42 PM

4. Sturday, I would presume to be Saturday. Andy, you're the only faggot I know who doesn't use spell check. ;-)

Posted by: Victor | Oct 2, 2008 4:24:48 PM

5. DAVEYNYC, I know it's handy to have people advocating for Beelzebub but in this case the interview is a sham. He didn't sit down with them: it was a written submission

Throughout, they (we all know McSame had no hand in this) used the old "leave it to the states" excuse for not applying federal rights. It's like when "states' rights" was code for segregation.

Posted by: SEXYBACK | Oct 2, 2008 5:23:58 PM

6. I luv this b*tch.

Posted by: Dude | Oct 2, 2008 9:27:39 PM

7. Reely Dave, I doont theenk he needs to youse spellchack, do you? ;)

Posted by: Jamo | Oct 2, 2008 11:21:21 PM