California | Gay Marriage | George Takei | News | William Shatner

BigGayDeal.com

William Shatner Attacks, Calls George Takei Sick and Psychotic

Shatner

In a video posted to his website, The Shatner Project, Star Trek's William Shatner lashes out at his former co-star George Takei, who recently married his partner of 21 years, Brad Altman.

Watch Shatner's clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Shatner's ego is apparently deeply bruised that Takei didn't invite him to his wedding.

Says Shatner: "The whole thing makes me feel badly, poor man. There is such a sickness there. It's so patently obvious that there is a psychosis there. I don't know what his original thing about me was. I have no idea. I didn't read his book that was printed many years ago, but apparently I didn't let somebody have a close-up. I literally don't know him. I didn't know him very well on the series. He would come in for a day or two, as evidenced by the part he played. Then on the movies, there occasionally. I didn't know the man. But he has continued to speak badly about me for all these years. Obviously, hiding his homosexuality - talk about festering and not living the truth of your life and feeling badly about yourself - and being fearful somebody would find out about this terrible, terrible secret, so he thought."

Shatner adds: "Finally at the age of, I think, 70, he decides to come out of the closet and say, 'I'm gay.' Like, who cares? Be gay. Don't be gay. That's up to you George."

Takei1He continues: "You would think there would be an epiphany at some point, where George might have said, 'Poor Bill Shatner. He's such a lonely, desperate, unhappy man that he did all these terrible things to me.' Which I can't remember. I presume he can remember all these terrible thing I must have done when I said, 'Hello' or something to him. You would think he had this epiphany and say - because he and I don't have many years left in this world - 'I wish him well. I'm so happy that I wish him well.' But instead what he does is he makes this big deal about not inviting me to his wedding. If I was such a terrible force in his life - even some 40-odd years later, because I've not seen him - that I effect his marriage where he has to isolate it, what kind of sickness is going on in the man?"

Shatner concludes: "There must be something else inside of George that is festering and makes him so unhappy that he takes it out on me - in effect a total stranger. Why would he go out of his way to denegrate me? It's sad that the man can't find enough peace in his life to either say 'Be positive' and say 'I forgive him, whatever those hurts were', or to shut up about it. It's sad. I feel nothing but pity for him."

In fact, what Takei said, was: "Our contact list has, like, 3,500 names, so we have to whittle it down and I don't know if William Shatner is going to make the cut. He's a wonderful actor. No one could have created the character Capt. Kirk the way he brought his singular metabolism to the character. Kirk and Shatner both have this grand ego of sense of self. He sits there in the center of the set and he revels [in] it."

Given this diatribe by Shatner, I'd have to agree with Sulu!

Watch Shatner's clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Dang, if it had been me instead of Takei, I'd have DEFINITELY invited this man who didn't know me and whom I haven't seen in 20 years.

I was just thinking about how silly it is that this is in the news. With all that's going on in America and in the world, it sure surprises me what we choose to care about.

Posted by: The Milkman | Oct 22, 2008 9:12:28 AM

2. Who cares what a couple of washed up third-rate TV actors think of each other? Shatner has been a punch line for forty years or more. And Takei was never much more than a bit player. What's next? Eva Gabor was mean to Arnold Ziffel?

Posted by: John Michael Curlovich | Oct 22, 2008 9:27:03 AM

3. What a gianst sack of shit! "Finally at the age of, I think, 70, he decides to come out of the closet and say, 'I'm gay.' Like, who cares? Be gay. Don't be gay. That's up to you George."

George Takei has been out of the closet for eons. Shatner acts like he's never worked for a gay person before in his life! The most famous of all "Star Trek" ewpisondes, "The Trouble with Tribbles," was written by the openly gay David Gerrold. What a jerk!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 22, 2008 10:14:44 AM

4. Looks like Capt. Kirk has gone off the deep end of the galaxy.

Posted by: Jack | Oct 22, 2008 10:19:51 AM

5. Shater isn't much liked by anybody. A few years ago I ate at Spago in Beverly Hills and asked the waiter which celebrities were nice and which weren't. He said Shatner is the all-time worst he had experienced. Also, I spoke to a flight attendant once on a long United flight when I was in first class. We got to talking about the celebrities she's flown with and she volunteered that William Shatner gave her the most trouble of any of them. I hadn't even asked about him.

Posted by: tobey | Oct 22, 2008 10:32:58 AM

6. I think both Takei and Shatner are 100% correct about each other.

For Takei to talk on the radio about who 'is going to make the cut' to the wedding and immediately follow it up with a two-faced compliment is crass and petty. He's clearly nurturing a grudge and enjoying it.

And Shatner is obviously can't take his own advice and just shut up about it or take the high road. He can't shut up.

It reminds me of the 7th grade girls birthday-party snub scene. Uggggh.

Posted by: Yeek | Oct 22, 2008 10:33:15 AM

7. There is a reason he is called THE SHAT

Posted by: kujhawker | Oct 22, 2008 10:40:38 AM

8. John

Shatner is a pompous windbag

But he is also filthy filthy rich and not from Star Trek

Succesful author of the TEK books....tek lords, Tek War, etc a succesful sci-fi series that was tuend into a series

Super successful breeder of prize winning horses.

Big time money from taking stock options in price line as vs pay checks when he first started doing their commercials years ago.

producer of and award winning actor on a top rated tv show = boston Legal

An ass for sure, but smart biz man / horse breeder and filthy filthy rich

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Oct 22, 2008 10:43:33 AM

9. sorry for typos

Also it should read ".....a succesful sci-fi book series turned into a tv series in the 90's"

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Oct 22, 2008 10:50:38 AM

10. Logic would dictate that if the two men did not know each other then they would not invite each other to their weddings.

Posted by: anon | Oct 22, 2008 12:22:06 PM

11. Jimmyboyo--don't forget recording artist. Shatner might be an ass, but his Has Been CD with Ben Folds is a masterpiece. No, I'm serious. Listen to it. You will cry and listen to it again and again.

Posted by: ben | Oct 22, 2008 12:22:56 PM

12. Ummmm...I love George but if you've ever actually watched him or heard him talk he is a bit off....Shatners a total jerk but George....lets be honest here.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 22, 2008 2:52:35 PM

13. I love Shatner exactly for this kind of thing! In an age when publicists protect anyone from ever speaking (what's left of) their mind, he's like a bottle of Night Train on a early summer morning with a coked out guy you've always wanted to hook up with. He may not know you're there but you're still happy you got him.

Oops, I said that out loud huh?

Love ya Bill!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Oct 22, 2008 5:53:12 PM

14. So what did you expect George Takei to say? "I can't stand Bill Shatner and no way in hell is he coming to my wedding"

I think George was trying to be diplomatic, but maybe could have done it better.

As it is, it was George and Brad's day and they invited who they wanted, for whatever reason.

Posted by: Roger | Oct 22, 2008 6:03:35 PM

15. There is no malice in Shatner's words, he's simply assessing decades of spontaneous hate from Takei.

Posted by: Tux | Oct 22, 2008 11:33:22 PM

16. Bill and I never invited Mr. Sulu to our wedding.

Not even to a pool party.

Posted by: Nerine | Oct 22, 2008 11:52:09 PM