Justin Timberlake | News | Paul Rudd | SNL

BigGayDeal.com

Paul Rudd Gives SNL Its Gayest Episode of the Season

Rudd

A Titanic-style portrait painting session with Andy Samberg, along with cameos from Justin Timberlake in heels and a leotard got the show the attention it needed now that the election season has slowed down.

Watch the skits, AFTER THE JUMP...

Everyone's a Critic (possibley NSFW)

"Single Ladies"

Gay Snagglepuss:

And finally, the family that's not afraid of affection:

Comments

1. I heart Paul Rudd

Posted by: Danny | Nov 17, 2008 8:23:34 AM

2. I agree it was their best episode in years. I stayed through the whole episode instead of going to bed after 'Weekend Update.' I'm wondering if all the gay content was on purpose due to Prop 8. The resounding boos from the audience when Seth Myers mentioned the passing of Prop 8 was just beautiful to hear.

Posted by: scar2 | Nov 17, 2008 8:30:23 AM

3. So apparently NBC won't let me view the clips here in France? Does anyone have an alternate location for them?

Posted by: Nino | Nov 17, 2008 8:41:17 AM

4. Am I the only one who saw the gay valet sketch? Did I dream the whole thing?

Posted by: tjc | Nov 17, 2008 8:54:30 AM

5. Damn, Paul Rudd is cute! And Andy Samberg!

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 17, 2008 8:57:32 AM

6. Come on the best episode? after attending the rally on saturday I was on the phone with a friend and we both thought it was the most offensive episode towards gays in a long time. If it was supposed to be satire I didn't get it. To me it was offensive, every gay character with a lisp and bitchy. It was the lowest form of humour....It was like watching a show with people in black face, and jews with big noses.....it seems to me that making gays and lesbians the joke is still just fine.
    enough.

Posted by: matt chicago | Nov 17, 2008 8:58:25 AM

7. TJC,

I saw that skit too. Maybe no one recorded it....

Posted by: JM | Nov 17, 2008 8:59:28 AM

8. And yes Paul Rudd is cute, but if you tell me to lighten up after the protests all week, then we have a LOT of work to do.

Posted by: matt chicago | Nov 17, 2008 9:01:12 AM

9. Yea I just saw Rudd's latest movie too, Role Models, and it was surprisingly full of bottom-of-the-barrell anti-gay jokes (or just seemingly random drops of 'faggot'), and not even funny ones. I was disappointed.

With friends like these...

Posted by: Wes | Nov 17, 2008 9:11:57 AM

10. I actually thought all the skits were hilarious. It's odd that they were all on the same show, like...Paul Rudd's presence brings it out or something! But I think the discomfort with the affectionate family is really subversive because along with feeling how odd it would be to be in that situation ha-ha, the audience is also seeing these famous guys kiss (and eventually reallllly kiss) for real, helping to make it less taboo. I'm not interested in ROLE MODELS and it surprises me that faggot was used. I hate the new trend of "it's okay to say fag/faggot/so gay."

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 17, 2008 9:32:00 AM

11. Look at those straight dudes kissing? HA HA HA

Look at those straight dudes in heels prancing around like "gay dancers"? HA HA HA

Look at those straight dudes painting each other nude with the result causing critics to kill themselves. HA HA HA

Look at the straight dude as a lisping pink Snagglepuss joking about Prop 8. HA HA HA

Seth Myers "Vote's over".

Gayest episode? No
    Most homophobic? Yes

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Nov 17, 2008 9:36:18 AM

12. Ditto Chicago Matt. Most of these sketches were stereotypical drivel. The humor is based on making audiences react to the abnormal feminine qualities of the men.

Posted by: noah | Nov 17, 2008 9:47:48 AM

13. I didn't find any of the skits I saw funny, at all. In fact I found them to be just plain stupid. The skit with the guys in the car, singing stupid 70's songs, was downright offensive and alarming. Having someone shoot themselves in the head, unwittingly with a loaded hand gun is NOT FUNNY.

The rest of the stuff I saw was just stupid. For anyone to say it was the best episode ever most have not seen any episodes from the 70's. Now those were funny.

Posted by: realitythink | Nov 17, 2008 9:49:17 AM

14. I loved all the skits with Paul in them, but I may be blinded by adoration. It was definitely the gayest episode I've ever seen, but, with the exception of Snagglepuss, which I could have done without, I thought the vibe was both pro-gay (like the 2 guys who found gay people hilarious then ended up proposing) and let's take advantage of gay being a current hot topic, particularly since we have Paul never shies away from a homoerotic moment Rudd in the house. For truly offensive anti-gay material, just turn on cable news these days where Maggie Gallagher and Tony Perkins are being allowed to air their straight-up bigotry.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 17, 2008 9:50:11 AM

15. Someone needs to remind Paul Rudd that he's supposed to be married to me. Here, in Canada, where we love him, appreciate him and need him.

Posted by: David D. | Nov 17, 2008 9:56:43 AM

16. Most homophobic episode ever. That was simply painful to watch.

SNL jumped the shark a long time ago. Onion News is infinitely better.

Posted by: Steve | Nov 17, 2008 10:40:14 AM

17. JM & Ernie -- thanks, at least me & the hubby didn't imagine it, even if NO ONE else seems to have seen it. :-)

Posted by: tjc | Nov 17, 2008 10:44:13 AM

18. I didn't find any of this stuff anti-gay. Evidently, there are still a lot of people in the US who need to get over their shock of seeing guys together ... for their own benefit and ours. Sometimes the best method of desensitization is humor.

Even putting those stereotypes out there can be a positive thing. It lets straight folks associate over-the-top behavior with comedy much as we do, and realize that camp is just one tiny brushstroke in the broader canvas of gay culture.

Oh, and Paul Rudd is a sexy beast! Love that wickedly adorable smile and the light coat of fur on his chest. Woof!

Posted by: sparks | Nov 17, 2008 11:13:41 AM

19. Oh, I get it! Men's bodies are so disgusting that the sight of a nude one makes people kill themselves.

Posted by: Nick | Nov 17, 2008 11:20:35 AM

20. I didn't think that the site of a male body was so disgusting that people died over it, I got that whatever Paul painted was so hideous and demonic that it caused mass chaos. I assumed that it was more his style of painting rather than the subject.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Nov 17, 2008 11:45:58 AM

21. It's fun to rediscover Snagglepuss - check him out on YouTube. The bit with the dancers would've been funnier if they had played it "straight".

Posted by: keith | Nov 17, 2008 11:46:42 AM

22. Oh, to have access to that uncensored footage... :-D

Posted by: John | Nov 17, 2008 11:54:47 AM

23. The only skit that was even remotely funny was the kissing the family skit...all the other ones were rooted in homophobia.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 17, 2008 12:02:32 PM

24. Offensive stereotypes.

Has this show ever done a skit about being gay that wasn't based in smutty junior high fag humor? * Has there ever been an "out" gay comedian in the cast of this show?

And, what's worst of all, like most SNL since, what 1995? 1990? 1985? none of this is particularly funny.

*(Wait -- well there was Andy Samberg's Ahmadinejad rap short last year. So one in three decades. Is there another anyone can think of?)

Posted by: Buster | Nov 17, 2008 12:05:26 PM

25. I haven't liked SNL in years, and I especially dislike this cast. I thought the sketches were more lame than offensive, but I agree with previous comments here that when they do gay themed skits, they're more homophobic than homo-friendly. (SPARKS, I really disagree with the stereotypes being a positive thing.)

I'll take Little Britain, or better yet, bring back Kids In The Hall for some real gay sketch comedy. At least they have/had one out gay and funny comic.

Posted by: Mark in NYC | Nov 17, 2008 12:09:15 PM