Evangelical Christians | Film | Mike Jones | News | Ted Haggard

Ted Haggard Made it Through The Wilderness, Not Like a Virgin

Pelosi_haggard

Ted Haggard told reporerts at a 25-minute press conference that his days of meth and gay escorts were a "wandering in the wilderness" time and he's back and busier than ever promoting the new HBO documentary by Alexandra Pelosi (Nancy's daughter, above) in which he criticizes his former church.

JonesThe AP reports: "During a guest sermon last November at a friend's church in Illinois, Haggard said a co-worker of his father molested him when he was 7, an experience that "started to produce fruit" later. Clarifying that Friday, Haggard said: 'I'm certainly not saying that because of that, I did this. I did what I did by my choice, and I'm responsible for it.' Haggard said he isn't qualified to judge what factors into one's sexuality, but still believes it's 'God's perfect plan' for marriage to be between a man and woman. 'I think sexuality is confusing and complex,' Haggard said. 'I am totally completely satisfied with the relationship with my wife now, but I went through a wandering in the wilderness time, and I just thank God I'm on the other side of that.' Asked whether he could define his sexual identity, Haggard said: 'The stereotypical boxes don't work for me. My story's got some gray areas in it. And, of course, I'm sad about that but it's the reality.' Later Friday, in a Q&A session with reporters at a Television Critics Association meeting in Universal City, Calif., Haggard said he should have been more open with his family and his congregation earlier, calling his actions 'hypocrisy.'"

Gay escort Mike Jones (above, right) said Haggard was simply a good salesman: "I know he's gone through a lot. When he said he had to say something, I believe it. And I think that was God encouraging him to do that. I know he's apologized to his church and family, blah, blah. But the people he hurt is the gay community, and he's never apologized to the gay community. He owes that."

Comments

1. "Started to produce fruit"? Stop, you're killin' me! ROTFL!

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 12, 2009 11:52:05 AM

2. I find it incredibly offensive that Haggard implies that his sexual orientation is the result of abuse. Hopefully someone will stand up and make a comment to refute this as a fiction. To my knowlege, there is no existing empirical research indicating any relationship between sexual abuse and homosexuality.

A great majority of homosexuals, like me, were fortunate to experience loving and supportive childhoods without even a hint of abuse.

Posted by: E | Jan 12, 2009 12:17:55 PM

3. "Haggard said he isn't qualified to judge what factors into one's sexuality, but still believes it's 'God's perfect plan' for marriage to be between a man and woman."

Okay, so let's say this mythological gawd does exist...

Why would she create so many gay people, (because in the fairy tales, gawd created everyone) only to prohibit them from experiencing sex? Why would a gawd create a gay population, only to "instruct"(?) his bootlickers to try to force the gays to live their lives as miserable straight folks?

Doesn't make much sense, does it? Gays were here for generations before x-ians came along.

Religion is SO screwed up!! It takes otherwise rational, reasonable, intelligent people and turns them into babbling sycophants.

And it sure buys some pretty dresses for the pope and his boytoys.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Jan 12, 2009 12:19:33 PM

4. Other than the quotes above, the one that kills me is that his being gay was a "wandering in the wilderness" phase, which of course compares himself to Jesus.
    Except when Jesus was wandering in the wilderness he DIDN'T give in to temptation.
    And when Jesus was wandering in the wilderness he didn't fuck escorts for meth. (Well we can wonder about Peter and the "fisher of men" but that's another story)...

Posted by: Strepsi | Jan 12, 2009 12:21:21 PM

5. I find the whole Haggard saga sad and embarrassing. What a truly messed up person he is. This is what fundamentalism can do to you.

Posted by: db | Jan 12, 2009 12:28:32 PM

6. Looks like Haggard is one confused homo. Obviously the teachings of the church and his sexuality are waging a war inside him.

I like his comment about not wanting to be boxed in by defining his sexuality, saying that there are many "gray areas." Really, get rid of the labels of gay and straight and just acknowledge that people like people. Stop looking at the gender.

Posted by: Henry C. | Jan 12, 2009 12:28:43 PM

7. OMG he was trying to have sex with a (slightly) younger version of himself.

Posted by: Garland Smith | Jan 12, 2009 12:44:33 PM

8. An apology from Ted Haggard...yeah THAT would make my Monday complete.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 12, 2009 1:02:08 PM

9. Andy - love your site, and as you know i post comments quite a bit! BUT why even give this asshole a venue to spew his homophobia! He is a duplicitous, hypocritical, and lying SOB! Screw him and Pelosi's movie (why she choose to do this project is beyond me!)......

Posted by: Alex in Boston | Jan 12, 2009 2:37:26 PM

10. Everything Alex In Boston said goes for me too!

Posted by: wisebear | Jan 12, 2009 3:55:40 PM

11. Sounds like he's inching his way out of the closet. Gay Pride 2015! Woohoo!

Posted by: anon | Jan 12, 2009 5:16:31 PM

12. Ted haggard, does this guy know when to call it quits? This is really becoming a huge joke! LOL

Posted by: personals for free | Nov 29, 2011 10:09:58 AM