Comic Books | News

BigGayDeal.com

Comic Strip Artist Sean Delonas Compares Obama to Dead Chimp

Delonas

Homophobic NY Post comic strip artist Sean Delonas today offered up a mash-up of the Connecticut chimp story and Obama's stimulus package.

The Rev. Al Sharpton spoke about it to the AP: "The cartoon in today's New York Post is troubling at best given the historic racist attacks of African-Americans as being synonymous with monkeys. One has to question whether the cartoonist is making a less than casual reference to this when in the cartoon they have police saying after shooting a chimpanzee that "Now they will have to find someone else to write the stimulus bill." Being that the stimulus bill has been the first legislative victory of President Barack Obama (the first African American president) and has become synonymous with him it is not a reach to wonder are they inferring that a monkey wrote the last bill?"

NY Post editor Col Allan defended the cartoon"The cartoon is a clear parody of a current news event, to wit the shooting of a violent chimpanzee in Connecticut. It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy. Again, Al Sharpton reveals himself as nothing more than a publicity opportunist."

(via Good as You

Watch CNN's interview with Sharpton, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh, that's FUCKED UP!!

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Feb 18, 2009 1:42:33 PM

2. I wish the chimp had written the bill...I can hardly wait to spend the extra $13 in my paycheck this June

Posted by: NewEng | Feb 18, 2009 1:43:21 PM

3. Um, I'm not sure how I see this compares Obama to a chimp. Perhaps, the chimp refers to the artist's belief that the "chimps" WROTE the stimulus bill. While Presidents can offer and write proposed legislation, the House & Senate really write and pass laws.

People often see what they want to see-- not what is. Unless there's some other information of which I am not aware, I think what this really shows is how people, even ostensibly non-racist ones, seem to associate black people with primates. And of course, that IS racist.

Posted by: BMF | Feb 18, 2009 1:51:10 PM

4. That's not what I got out of that cartoon this morning at all. Granted, I didn't get anything out of that cartoon aside from some confusion, but then I rarely try to put too much thought into anything in the Post.

Posted by: MT | Feb 18, 2009 1:52:08 PM

5. This was published? Damn Murdoch have you know shame?

Posted by: Schniffy | Feb 18, 2009 1:52:19 PM

6. NO shame that is!

Posted by: Schniffy | Feb 18, 2009 1:53:06 PM

7. How do you know what the cartoonist was thinking? Could it be a reference to that chimp attack a couple of days ago?

Posted by: JimF | Feb 18, 2009 1:58:02 PM

8. I don't get it? Honestly. What is the cartoon about?

Posted by: Rad | Feb 18, 2009 1:58:24 PM

9. Bullshit. It was Obama's stimulus package in all the media reports. Delonas knew EXACTLY what he was saying with this cartoon and it continually shocks me that no one has the balls to call him on it. He is an abomination.

Posted by: David | Feb 18, 2009 1:59:39 PM

10. While I suspect it really IS racist -- the problem is that I just don't GET it. What is he trying to say? It seems meaningless. Why would any newspaper post such and meaningless (except for the racism) cartoon?

There are plenty of aspiring editorial cartoonists out there -- I suggest the Post find one and replace this goon.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Feb 18, 2009 2:01:50 PM

11. Give me a break - he meant that a monkey wrote the bill. Since Obama didn't write the first bill (Congress does that), people are just full of shit.

Posted by: shane | Feb 18, 2009 2:04:52 PM

12. This cartoon is definitely racist. When I first laid eyes on it, I thought, "WOW!!! They'd never say that about a white President".

Then I remembered that I spent the last 8 years saying the President was a chimp.

Kinda humbling when I think about it; however, that doesn't change the fact that throughout our history, black people have been called chimps, monkeys, baboons, gorillas - basically, any wild primate.

In fact, some of my own family have used those terms, and I have cringed every time.

Definitely racist.

But, George Bush is STILL a chimp!!

Posted by: steve | Feb 18, 2009 2:08:18 PM

13. I took it as a play on the old adage about a hundred monkeys at a hundred typewriters. Basically, I thought it was meant to illustrate how stupidly written the stimulus bill in the cartoonist's opinion. I'm admittedly not familiar with his other work, so I'm just going by my first impression of this one.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 18, 2009 2:09:12 PM

14. I don't see it as Obama. He is refering to the chimps in congress that wrote the stimulus package.

Posted by: John | Feb 18, 2009 2:11:48 PM

15. I think the problem is that Obama did NOT write the bill. He mistakenly left it up to Pelosi and Reid to cobble it together. They didn't write so much a stimulus bill as a spending bill. Next time I hope Obama DOES write it! I think Obama is great. Pelosi and Reid--not so much. But I DO feel sorry for the chimp.

Posted by: John (yet another John) | Feb 18, 2009 2:17:12 PM

16. Nope.

Not racist at all.

Nope.

Move on, nothing to see here.

Please.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 18, 2009 2:17:54 PM

17. I don't like this "cartoon" for multiple reasons. And regardless of whether it's "explicitly racist" or lends itself to such an interpretation, the fact is that it's bothering people. And so I'm also bothered that the Post would publish such an peculiar image. It shows that the Post is out of touch with people's feelings and history.

Posted by: Alan | Feb 18, 2009 2:18:55 PM

18. When I saw this, I just assumed that the cartoonist was suggesting the stimulus bill was so bad that it was written by crazy monkeys - like the one police were forced to shoot the other day. I just didn't immediately think something about black people being monkeys.

Posted by: Denis | Feb 18, 2009 2:20:12 PM

19. Anyone who claims they "don't get it" is not telling the truth, its plain and simple what this right wing rag meant.

Posted by: Sebastian | Feb 18, 2009 2:20:30 PM

20. Obama didn't write the stimulus bill.

This whole outrage is the result not of the cartoonist's ignorance but rather the ignorance of a nation full of uneducated fools who don't know how our government works.

If the chimp represents any one person, it would be Nancy Pelosi, not Obama.

Posted by: paul c | Feb 18, 2009 2:22:28 PM

21. The cartoonist is infamous—he's definitely a homophobe and racist. I'm sure he took great delight in referencing the recently killed chimp in reference to Obama. But he can legitimately hide behind the cartoon's literal meaning, too—literally, the cartoon is saying whoever wrote the stimulus bill is as crazy as that crazy chimp. No racism there at all. Except for the reality that it's from a racist, homophobic pig.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Feb 18, 2009 2:24:08 PM

22. here's my take on it: Cops killed a chimp after it mauled a woman (or in the case of the cartoonist's standpoint: cops killed the chimp after the stimulus bill mauled America). Black people in America have been historically compared to monkeys for centuries (and obviously this has not changed). I find it even more "troubling" that the chimp in this case is Barack Obama. Hence, the cops kill the President of the United States, a black man. Disgusting beyond belief, but that's part of the price of freedom of the press. Jezz...what lovely fodder for white supremacist fantasies.

Posted by: Griffin | Feb 18, 2009 2:25:59 PM

23. Why doesn't the Huffington Post blog about the homophobic cartoons that the Post has in the paper every other week?

Posted by: Daveynyc | Feb 18, 2009 2:28:39 PM

24. You apologists are full of shit. The caption reads "they will have to find SOMEONE ELSE...' not "another member" You all know gotdamn well that Obama has been the main person associated with the stimulus bill! It is OBAMA that was shown signing it! So don't give me this crap about it being taken out of context. It is more racist trash from that scumbucket Delonas!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Feb 18, 2009 2:30:02 PM

25. Calling George Bush a chimp is insulting to chimps. Chimps do their own dirty work when they want revenge.

And to respond, I'm not lying Sebastian - my first thought when I saw the cartoon was that it was a stupid play on the "so stupid a [insert primate here] could have written it" insult. Of course, now that it's said, I see the racial implications. But I can't assume the intent one way or the other. It's insensitive to say the least, though.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 18, 2009 2:32:11 PM