Clay Aiken | Kelly Clarkson | Music | Music Video | News

Kelly Clarkson: I'm Not Gay

In a new interview with Popeater, Kelly Clarkson is asked about her former tourmate Clay Aiken and whether or not she's gay.

ClarksonSays Clarkson: "I get that all the time. People are like, 'Are you secretly a lesbian? Because I’d really love it.' Lesbians tell it to me all the time. I’m like, 'I’m glad it works for you and I wish I liked women like that because oftentimes men are very hard for me, but I happen to like boys.' I could never be a lesbian. I would never want to date [someone like] myself, ever. I’m a crazy person. I need some kind of stable, quiet man. I don’t really care if you’re black, white, yellow, gay, straight, crazy, whatever. As long as you’re cool and you like the music, and you’re coming out to have a good time at the shows, I don’t really care. I have everything I just said in my family, so I’m just used to being surrounded by that. I just don’t know any different."

On Aiken's coming out, she says: "I was actually on vacation when I found out. He called and he just said, 'You’ll probably get a lot of calls about this, but I just wanted to give you a heads up.' I honestly don’t care if he is gay or isn’t gay, and I don’t care if he tells people or doesn’t tell people. I’m not friends with him for either of those reasons. If I’m a fan of an artist, I don’t really care if you’re gay or not gay, as long as you’re making cool music."

Watch her recent video for "My Life Would Suck Without You" AFTER THE JUMP...

Kelly Clarkson Gets What She Wants [popeater]

Comments

1. funny, i never heard a single rumor that kelly clarkson was a lesbian.

Posted by: Dan B | Feb 3, 2009 3:58:41 PM

2. Why would someone ask her if she's gay? Just because? Because of Clay? Because she's a singer? WTF? How or why would that matter? Or is it just 'Because I’d really love it.' Fucking lame! Sometimes the whole gay thing is just tired! Ask her something relevant to what she's doing, not WHO she's doing.

Posted by: JR | Feb 3, 2009 4:00:33 PM

3. Love her. It's an odd set of questions to be asked, so the answers usually end up a little awkward. Hers are indicative of that age group - that is, they kind of don't get what the fuss is about.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 3, 2009 4:00:35 PM

4. You guys are out of touch if you haven't heard the lesbian rumors. She's not a "girly girl" and she's not stick thin, and she often goes out without wearing make-up so people consider her "butch".

Posted by: Chris | Feb 3, 2009 4:28:29 PM

5. " ... I could never be a lesbian. I would never want to date [someone like] myself, ever. I’m a crazy person. I need some kind of stable, quiet man. ..."

Because lesbians are crazy/not stable and quiet.

Yeah, yeah, before you all jump on me ... I know what she means, but that could easily be misconstrued. She doesn't need something like this could derail her efforts to make that 'comeback' after the travesty that was My December. I love her and want her to succeed with this new upcoming album.

Posted by: George | Feb 3, 2009 4:53:02 PM

6. Does anyone else hear elements of "Sweet Surrender" in this? Maybe she used the same producer. I give both the song and the video a "meh".

Posted by: K | Feb 3, 2009 5:52:27 PM

7. Yes, K. I thought I was the only hearing "Sweet Surrender." Totally different writers, though. I still like the song, though.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 3, 2009 6:02:31 PM

8. I. Love. Kelly. Clarkson. Always have. She handled the question beautifully!

Posted by: Asher | Feb 3, 2009 7:03:29 PM

9. P. S. My December was an AWESOME album. It's amazing how susceptible some people are to the mere suggestion that closet case Clive Davis didn't like it. If Clive told you to jump off a bridge, would you?

Posted by: Asher | Feb 3, 2009 7:05:43 PM

10. Not to be an ass but why is it right to leave the question unasked for Kelly but Clay got to be bombarded endlessly? Doesn't matter that he actually WAS.. the question shouldn't have bee n asked of him any more than of her.

And for the record, I love Kelly...she's outspoken, talented, and someone you could hang out with, take a couple shots, bullshit with, and just "be" around. She rocks.

Posted by: jay | Feb 3, 2009 9:23:50 PM

11. F-off Kelly Clarkson - been to her show and it was fun BUT she doe not care if celebritites are out .... sorry liars are not cool. I also saw Ricky Martin put on a heck of a show --- but Mr. "I am not gay" bisexual Martin is a liar by ommission.

As for Clay --- he was asked endlessly because it was obvious - that he was lying - even after the Manhunt profile pictures went viral.

Posted by: RJP3 | Feb 3, 2009 10:07:00 PM

12. every time i hear another "celebrity" or self-important person declare "I'm not gay." my immediate thought has become "who the f*** cares?" i get the impression that they have so little self-confidence and such low self-esteem when they have to make this statement. geeeeshhhh...

what would the response be from people if Alec Mapa or Neil Patrick Harris went around saying, "I'm not straight"?

Posted by: mike/ | Feb 3, 2009 10:54:21 PM

13. thank god shes not gay, im her number 1 fans :)

Posted by: Supermance | Feb 3, 2009 11:39:38 PM

14. I quite heard some rumours about her being a closet lesbian. I know some girls who ppl think they're lesbians cos they are in touch with their masculine side sometimes and for that some ppl think they're butch.

I go further as saying that I don't consider myself as an overtly "pretty in pink girly girl". Sometimes I can be a feckin' tomboy, me...but I'm not a bloody butchy dyke ha! :)

Well, I really don't give a damn toss if she is or not. I don't like her music anyways.

Posted by: Lady in Red | Feb 4, 2009 1:43:48 AM

15. I love Kelly Clarkson's music and i dont care if she is gay or straight. i dont think you can judge someone just by the way she looks, you cant tell she is gay by the way she dresses.

I heard lots of rumors about Kelly being a secret lesbian and i repeat, i dont really care.

Posted by: gaby | Jul 8, 2011 12:22:47 AM

16. Some people just aren't interested in sex, they are mostly asexual - it is a "condition" a person can have like hetero or homo sexuality. If so, I am sorry Kelly is missing out on that aspect of life but that would just be who she is.

"Fine minds make fine distinctions."

Posted by: Neil B | Oct 24, 2011 8:51:05 AM