Barack Obama | Florida | News

Obama Stimulus Campaign Results in One New Job!

Obama_julio

Communications student Julio Osegueda stole the show at Obama's stimulus package campaign in Fort Myers, Florida yesterday when he was picked from dozens to ask the President how the package might help him get more benefits out of his job at McDonald's.

Obama asked Osegueda what he was studying for, and the student replied he wanted to be a broadcaster or a DJ. Hours later, because of the exposure, Osegueda was offered a job by the Class A Fort Myers Miracle baseball team, the Twins' affiliate in the Florida State League.

Said Miracle promotions director Gary Sharp: "I contacted some people who I knew who were at the event, and said 'Find this guy, and get his phone number. I gave [Julio] a call, and he was as excited talking to me as he was talking to the President. I offered Julio the chance to do color commentary during our home opener [on April 10], and he was like 'This is incredible! This is great!' There was no negotiating."

It's that easy.

Watch the clip of Osegueda at the Town Hall, and an interview with Rick Sanchez on CNN, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. pounding the pavement... sending my resumes out everywhere. i guess i just haven't been obnoxious enough.

Posted by: jobless | Feb 11, 2009 11:41:01 AM

2. That was a fucking retarded question. The answer is "the federal government doesn't command a corporation's business management." Evidenced by the complete lack of oversight of the banks pissing away taxpayer monies.

Posted by: shane | Feb 11, 2009 11:43:05 AM

3. Shane, your use of the word "retarded" as an epithet (or any other way) is very offensive and inappropriate. What a bigot.

Posted by: javier | Feb 11, 2009 12:55:02 PM

4. I saw him on Olbermann last night. I think its best we try not to pass too much judgement. He seemed "not quite there". I'm sure he'd make a great DJ because the lot of them have need a severe case of ADHD to operate the turn table anyway. :)

Posted by: Darkseige | Feb 11, 2009 1:03:36 PM

5. I believe the most important quality of a President is his ability to inspire (this is how they win elections, and govern Nations). I'm glad the President had the vision to inspire this kid to look out of the box and to work towards realizing his dreams to the extent of his full potential. What is so wrong with that?

Posted by: Rafael | Feb 11, 2009 1:30:30 PM

6. "I think its best we try not to pass too much judgement"

What is there to judge? He seems like a great albeit hyper kid. It's cool to see his generation so passionate and engaged.

Posted by: Giovanni | Feb 11, 2009 3:42:51 PM

7. If this isn't a joke, I am in complete shock. I seriously thought Obama was being punked.

This guy is so ridiculous from the praise God theatrics to saying he's stuck at McDonald's...it's like a parody of all the insane, inane worship that's been going on.

If you think that behavior is normal, you must have been alseep for the last eight years because the mindless Bushies like Elisabeth Hasselbeck pale in comparison to this freakishness.

Posted by: paul c | Feb 11, 2009 7:22:41 PM

8. Paul,

I hate to have to address you. But to call a person a freak for not being what you consider normal, is pretty damn sad of you. There are all kids of people out there, and their disabilities or abilities do not make their intentions any better or worse than that of others.

Neither you or I know this kid to pass our judgement on him, so lets refrain from doing just that.

Posted by: Rafael | Feb 11, 2009 8:21:11 PM

9. "There are all kinds of people"

Sorry for my typos.

Posted by: Rafael | Feb 11, 2009 8:23:41 PM

10. well, actually, this was a complete non-event. The kid asked a serious question, albeit in a non-serious way, and Obama gave him a completely vacuous answer.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Feb 11, 2009 9:18:42 PM

11. Rafael, the freakishness is in treating the president as if he is some sort of holy figure we should be thanking God for gracing us with. That shit is psychotic.

People like that are the same type who threatened the Dixie Chicks for criticizing King George.

Claiming to be stuck at McDonald's and asking the government to step in and get you a promotion of some sort is just the cherry on top of this asshole sundae.

I forgive your typos.