"Ex-Gays" | I'm Gay | I'm Not Gay | News | Tyra Banks

Tyra Banks Showcases Self-Loathing Gays

Damagedqueens

Tyra Banks dedicated a show this week to a bunch of damaged queens, some of whom plan to turn straight. One has even set a date when that's going to happen. These are the non-famous Ted Haggards and Larry Craigs of the world.

Tyra Banks is set to receive a GLAAD Excellence in Media award later this year.

Let the self-loathing begin, AFTER THE JUMP!

(via joe.my.god and good as you)

Comments

1. ...Straigh from one man to the next.

Posted by: 2nd Class Citizen | Feb 20, 2009 11:15:39 AM

2. Thank you, Tyra. I know that what I needed today was an ignorant 19 year old to further marginalize my community. Anyone think we can get a tranny who beats her kids today on Maurry?

Posted by: Stephen | Feb 20, 2009 11:22:41 AM

3. Honest to God, what a bunch of ignorant 12 year olds. I tried watching a bit of each clip and it was utterly painful. These boys do need to go straight... straight to therapy.

Posted by: BusyTimmy | Feb 20, 2009 11:26:14 AM

4. GLAAD is giving an award to someone who talks about "the gay lifestyle"? Another terrific decision from the group that honored Jay "Gayest Look" Leno.

Posted by: jomicur | Feb 20, 2009 11:33:02 AM

5. This first kid is an idiot and needs some counseling so badly. The fact that he's from Kansas speaks volumes about growing up in the midwest and not being able to accept ones self. I thought it was a phase once but that was 30 years ago! Who can believe this is still happening in 2009?

Posted by: Frank | Feb 20, 2009 11:39:21 AM

6. I feel like the first guy is more asexual and stupid than anything else. Doesn't like boys, doesn't like girls...what else is left?

Posted by: chris | Feb 20, 2009 11:52:49 AM

7. The first kid is criticizing gay men for being effeminate? That's as much as I can watch, this has to be a joke.

Posted by: John M | Feb 20, 2009 11:59:38 AM

8. Honestly, back when I was 19, I felt a lot like these guys. I grew up in Indiana with no openly gay influences. That time is so confusing when you think you are alone and damaged somehow. However, when I started to fully experience my sexuality and meet other men who were like me and ones who were openly out and proud of who they were, I accepted who I was and would never trade it.

Posted by: DLRnATL | Feb 20, 2009 12:03:50 PM

9. I can't watch this garbage. Unfortunately, it will certainly make the rounds of every cable news show for months to come.

Are there ever good messages out there?

Can we get an Out magazine without a straight person on the cover?

Is anything pro-Gay news worthy any more?

Posted by: Rad | Feb 20, 2009 12:09:29 PM

10. GLAAD is making themselves irrelevant. They have "media" awards that begin and end at the two oceans and the US-Mexico border, despite this being the internet age. They issue awards to "celebrities" like this woman. They think that American soap operas should be awarded for showing gay or lesbian people occasionally, or as neuters, like Luke and Noah have been until just last month (and are again).

As for Tyra... Did the beotch bother to bring on anyone with an opposing viewpoint? Did she bring on any mental health professionals? Did she offer to get these guys help? Even the kind we all know doesn't work, conversion therapy? No the only therapist was for the straight woman. These poor guys need real help.

Posted by: husky14620 | Feb 20, 2009 12:10:01 PM

11. For the life of me I can't understand why she is being honored by GLAAD or why people claim that she is a friend to the gay community. I've never seen one single one of her shows that I didn't think was weighted toward either vulgar stereotypes or toward promoting the idea that gay people could, and maybe should, turn straight.

I think we need to either educate this ignorant woman and expect better from her or stop supporting her and calling her an "ally".

Posted by: Zeke | Feb 20, 2009 12:13:34 PM

12. After seeing the Gay for Pay episode, I quit this show. Of course, I also blame some of her gay producers whom you know probably encouraged this. Ah well.

Posted by: Terry | Feb 20, 2009 12:18:45 PM

13. Oh and as far as the female thing for the first one, what man, gay or straight doesn't seek comfort and companionship with a person of the opposite sex? I only have one gay friend that doesn't have any girlfriends and he absolutely hates it and desperately wants one.

You can have a deep, platonic friendship with a woman and still identify as gay and seek a sexual and intimate relationship with a man, there is no conflict there. Me and my besty will sleep in the same bed and cuddle but that does not mean that I have any desire whatsoever to have sex with her or wake up next to her more than a few nights a year.

I think that is what really confuses a lot of people about gay relationships, the companionship of the opposite sex seems to essential to them but it is completely possible to have the companionship of the opposite sex without being in a sexual relationship with them or cohabiting.

Posted by: John M | Feb 20, 2009 12:20:57 PM

14. Tyra is not here to expound some kind of truth about this situation, show opposing viewpoints or really help anyone, she's merely exploiting it for ratings. It makes sense to just expose this type of TV crap for what it is: crap.

Posted by: johnny | Feb 20, 2009 12:21:12 PM

15. After watching the first clip I have to believe that he was making up the story to get on tv and brought his boyfriend/best friend and fag hag along for a free trip. It had to be a joke. He was sort of effeminate, called vaginas caves, and said he only likes his penis because of the shape. It actually cracked me up and would be a good SNL skit.

Sort of a sad topic but glad that Tyra brought some attention to it and the absurdity of that mentality.

That's why we should all try to be a little nicer to each other now and then - in a way that doesn't seem totally hokie and camp counselor like.

Posted by: Kurt from Milwaukee | Feb 20, 2009 12:22:07 PM

16. Ignorant, confused teens should not be on television spouting out their own fucked up biases. Stereotypes?! I mean, have they even looked in the mirror lately?

It would have served some public good if Tyra had really called them on their hypocrisy and self-loathing, but she's not smart enough. Instead, it's just a salacious, ridiculous mess.

P.S.--Let me know when GLAAD is relevant again.

Posted by: JTlvr | Feb 20, 2009 12:22:32 PM

17. I'm going to stand up for Tyra here for a moment - she didn't really need to bring an opposing viewpoint on her show, because she brought it all with her. She let these guys speak their truth, and any intelligent viewer could discern the absolute baloney coming out of their mouths. When they repeated a stereotype they'd heard, she'd just ask, "why do you believe that?" and their responses belied how disturbed these guys really were.

Watching this show (I didn't watch the whole thing) made these guys seem as they are: self-loathing and in need of real help. Perhaps evangelicals who believe in pray-away-the-gay programs would take away a different message.

But Tyra's okay in this. She's being true to herself while respecting her guests enough not to shame them or lecture to them. She's just letting them talk.

Posted by: Red Seven | Feb 20, 2009 12:30:27 PM

18. Maybe the three of them should join the priesthood?

I plan to stop being gay when I turn sixty, but I'll continue the sex part of it. They say that nobody can give "head" better than the toothless...just have to keep my gums in shape. I think it's important to serve mankind until the end.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 20, 2009 12:31:46 PM

19. Oy! utterly unwatchable stuff. The whole topic isn't so much about the gay as it is about being young and dumber/more confused than average.

As for Shane and his idea that older gay men are creepy...i'm 39 and wouldn't take $50,000 to go out with him for an hour.

Posted by: Andrew K | Feb 20, 2009 12:44:14 PM

20. I commented on this on another blog but I'll say it here as well. I don't really love being gay and would change if I could, but I know I can't change my sexuality. I kind of feel for them in a way. At least I know I can't change.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 20, 2009 1:03:17 PM

21. I thought this show was fascinating. If you watch through to the end, as I did, you'll find out about why some of these individuals feel this way. For example, the first guy, Shane, was brought up in a very Christian conservative home where he was taught that even Pokeman is from the Devil. Is it any wonder that he's confused? I feel bad for them.

Posted by: Darren | Feb 20, 2009 1:28:41 PM

22. RED SEVEN: "She let these guys speak their truth, and any intelligent viewer could discern the absolute baloney coming out of their mouths."

The flaw with that is that it would actually require someone of intelligence to watch that show, so most of the slack-jawed bugger-eating morons watching wouldn't be able to discern that these guys are full of crap.

Posted by: troschne | Feb 20, 2009 1:37:05 PM

23. I thought Tyra did fine. She asked them pointed questions. She challenged the couple with the gay man and asked if they were happy and they said no, not really. Then she asked the gay man in the str8 marriage to talk these silly nelly queens outta their delusions. I blame strict christianity for this not the guys themselves. When you grow up around that much hate in Kansas for Cris'sakes, it is going to make you crazy. Tyra took the one man on a day on the town to meet real gay men for the first time and asked them if they are really really going to be straight or just fake it and if it is fair to the woman they bring into their misery. I do hope these young men get counseling and I do not think she exploited them. The first one, Shane, I know someone just like him. Sweet, pretty, nelly and now thirty and dating girls even though he knows he likes the men --muscly, tall men. The girls he picks are naive, hapless and taller(he is small boned and 5'5".) and tomboyish. He takes on the female role to their dismay as most of them have been actually str8 and want a real boyfriend not a pretty mascot that kisses them in public but not alone. Long story there. He wants the picket fence, sees the current one as for life with kids" coz their signs match so well and she will make a good mom." "She is not as good looking as Jason,(a mutual friend and ex of mine) who Is the most gorgeous person I have ever seen," but he still likes her he says. She has confessed to mutual friends she wants out and I say good for her! When she tried to leave once before he cried and cried and begged. My friend is doing all this to please his homophobic Dad. He just cut his real and gay friends off last week coz he is done with gay people etc and he is the gayest thing you will ever meet. Just sad.....

Posted by: ganymeade | Feb 20, 2009 1:42:25 PM

24. OKAAAAY!

First, this was like a bad car wreck that you pray no one was seriously harmed in but you just know everyone DIED! You know the kind; flames comihng off the car while some poor schmo inside is screaming, "PLEASE! PLEASE HELP ME! HELP ME!!!!" While his face starts melting like the end scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark...

Sorry, got carried away due to to many LIT classes.

Anyway,

Interviewee 1. A cave? This guy has some issues and it has nothing to do with his sexuality. He's just fucked up and his parents must have instilled some major repression and shame. Will someone please get this kid a molestation doll and start asking the "tough questions"? He ends the show parroting his parents insanity stating, he grew up believing everything is connected to the devil.

Interviewee 2. Seems like he is adjusting well! Who, that is either gay or straight, hasn't felt somewhat out of place around certain people. I don't really know for sure why he was even included except to balance out the others.

Interviewee 3. Is monogamy dead? You're supposed to be in a relationship! If you can't control your urges THAT's your problem.

Interviewee 4. Gay men are promiscuous... PULEASE! MEN are promiscuous. Pound for pound there are more straight men out there sleeping around behind their spouses backs with someone else than there are gay men.

Why did Tyra choose to interview children? This show says more about the immaturity of youth than it does about gay men who want to live a straight life!

Posted by: Marc | Feb 20, 2009 1:45:24 PM

25. I LOVE BEING GAY!!! I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT MEN; muscles, humor, intelligence, scent, masculinity, adventurous nature...

Posted by: Bill | Feb 20, 2009 2:10:56 PM