Adam Lambert | American Idol | Music | News

Adam Lambert Sheds the Nail Polish, Turns on the 'Tears'

Lambert

Adam Lambert changed up his look and kills it again on American Idol.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Previously
Adam Lambert and Kris Allen Talk Nail Polish [tr]
Randy Travis Confused by Adam Lambert's Black Nail Polish [tr]
Adam Lambert and Breaking Down Idol's Closet Doors [tr]

Comments

1. So much better without the emo hair. Not really sure he belongs in this sort of competition, though, as he was already singing professionally. The same is true of a few other AI contestants this year, one of whom got too full of himself and was voted off.

"So You Think You Can Dance" started the trend; in fact the only people who have tended to make it into the top group each season have been extensively trained dancers. The X Factor (UK) has been a notable exception, as talent shows go.

I guess these shows exist to entertain, more than to give unknown amateurs a shot at fame.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 26, 2009 7:30:25 AM

2. The show has basically become a "next step" for people who need the push into contractual situations. And the rules are written to keep the Idol franchise at the top, so it's only natural they'll let in top talent at this point regardless of what else they've been doing. After this many seasons, they have to broaden the scope. Imagine all the over-thirty talents out there that could be better than any of these kids but were never given a chance like this.

Adam looks much better without the Joey Heatherton hair. Does anyone else notice how much he resembles Elvis?

Posted by: johnny | Mar 26, 2009 7:39:20 AM

3. Elvis...? I was thinking Wayne Newton.

Still don't watch the show.

Posted by: Rad | Mar 26, 2009 7:55:38 AM

4. Lovely! He is so handsome without the chunky baby diva semi-drag look. He did more than "do it justice" he nailed it with his own interpretation. Just sing baby; forget the theatrics.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 26, 2009 8:00:45 AM

5. i prefer david archuleta.

Posted by: j | Mar 26, 2009 8:01:17 AM

6. I'm thinking love child of Wayne Newton & KD Lange!

Posted by: Brett | Mar 26, 2009 8:15:31 AM

7. I won't watch the show but a radio station played his Mowtown cover. Singing in a falsetto voice with minimal variation in the melody does NOT make a good singer. He won't win.

Posted by: den | Mar 26, 2009 8:17:52 AM

8. Totally amazing performance... not jinxing it at all to say that he really is worthy of being the next winner... Go Adam, you have my vote!

Posted by: CK | Mar 26, 2009 8:21:37 AM

9. Did anyone else laugh when Simon said he's happy Adam 'straightened' himself?

Posted by: scar2 | Mar 26, 2009 8:47:05 AM

10. Loved it. The song means a lot to me, and he did it justice.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 26, 2009 8:55:08 AM

11. Wasn't a big fan of Adam's in the beginning but there is no doubting now that he has amazing talents. He has great instinct on what songs to pick and a voice that can cover just about anything.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 26, 2009 9:05:27 AM

12. Awesome song ... I think he looks like the gay love child of (a young) Elvis and Zac Efron :-)

Posted by: Bodhi | Mar 26, 2009 9:07:19 AM

13. Adam Lambert looks really hot all dressed up like this... Excellent!

Posted by: Alan | Mar 26, 2009 9:52:08 AM

14. fan here! I love adam lambert and this song is my new favorite out of his top performances!

Posted by: Adam Lambert | Mar 26, 2009 9:57:37 AM

15. I can't believe that I'm the only one that thinks he is awful. His voice is not pleasant to listen to. This season is turning out to be such a drag with Adam screeching away and Danny Deadwife sure to continue through to the finale. The public won't even get to say enough is enough because the judges are obviously saving their "judges save" for whichever one of these yahoos goes out "before their time". Why can't one of the actually good ones like Kris or Allison make it to the finale. Here's to hoping.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Mar 26, 2009 10:11:12 AM

16. I love his rocker emo with black nail polish look. Of course, I love this look, too. He turns me into a bit of a 12-year old schoolgirl. However, in the world of high definition television, the make-up artists should be cognizant about how thick they lay that foundation on. It was a bit more distracting without the bangs and eyeliner. Still, a beautiful guy with a beautiful voice, who (in my opinion) can do no wrong.

Posted by: Jason Ray | Mar 26, 2009 10:12:41 AM

17. I love Adam, and love his slight chunk. He is very handsome and talented, I hope he goes far...but not win. The AI contract is notoriously shitty, and Carrie Underwood was the last winner before they changed the rules so that now the show basically owns a large percentage of their earnings...forever.

Who was the professional contestant who got too cocky and has already been kicked off this season? Surely not Jorge, Jasmine, or Alexis....?

Posted by: Ugh | Mar 26, 2009 10:13:16 AM

18. I love that the posts about American Idol get at least 5 times as many comments as the political ones... Just an observation from This Hot Mess.
    thishotmess.com

Posted by: This Hot Mess | Mar 26, 2009 10:21:44 AM

19. Ok, Adam no doubt is a very talented man, but I could not get over the fact that he looked (and at times sounded) more like KD Lang than Elvis!

Posted by: Mark | Mar 26, 2009 10:40:50 AM

20. Very Spandau Ballet and very nice!

Before, I THOUGHT HE WAS A LESBIAN AND FROM ENGLAND.

Posted by: paul c | Mar 26, 2009 10:42:28 AM

21. KD Lang look-a-like

Posted by: rockmustang | Mar 26, 2009 10:45:43 AM

22. Adam is brilliant, and smart. He knew enough not to mess around with a Motown tune, particularly after the Ring of Fire on acid (which I also loved, but should not be repeated) performance last week. So, wisely, he played it "straight," which the judges got excited about for reasons that went well beyond the singing, and got a standing-O from Smokey himself. He's by far the best thing about AI this season.

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 26, 2009 10:47:27 AM

23. Lovely!

Posted by: Marc | Mar 26, 2009 10:48:20 AM

24. Boy, this is a tough crowd. "Danny Deadwife?" Sheesh. It's just American Idol, guys, show a little mercy. YOU get up there week after week and do something fresh and new for 30 million judgmental assholes, and have the high definition camera 2 inches from YOUR face.

Adam is the real thing and it's been a genuine pleasure discovering him. The others are karaoke singers next to him. He would be interesting enough if he was just the gay contestant, but the fact that he's staggeringly talented is a bonus and what will keep him till the end. He turns me into a 16 year old girl.

Posted by: Jim | Mar 26, 2009 11:04:16 AM

25. He and Danny Gokey would make a beautiful lesbian couple.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 26, 2009 12:00:52 PM