Barbara Walters | Elizabeth Hasselbeck | I'm Gay | News | Rachel Maddow | Whoopi Goldberg

Did Whoopi Goldberg Come Out of the Closet on The View?

Maddow

At Rachel Maddow's first appearance on The View yesterday they discussed how Maddow was outed to her parents by anonymous letter. Maddow also discussed meeting her partner Susan Mikula, being 'glammed up' as a news anchor, and her childhood as a tomboy:

"I had long blonde hair, but even as a little girl with long blonde hair, I looked like one of the Hanson boys."

One of our commenters brings up a good question.

Whoopi_out The conversation prompted Barbara Walters to point at Whoopi Goldberg and say, "She's about to come out of the closet today."

Replied Whoopi: "Please, that door's been open for years..."

Has it? Or did Whoopi just finally open it?

Goldberg appeared at last November's Prop 8 protest in New York and discussed it on The View, but never mentioned her own sexuality, only that she was there for her friends. That was indicated by the sign she held as well.

In 2006, Goldberg told the New York Times: "No, I am not a lesbian. I describe myself as heterosexual. I think it is hard to have good relationships with anyone."

I'm not sure if I missed something since 2006, but please fill me in if I did.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

(clip via I am a TV Junkie)

Comments

1. I was expecting a longer segment than 7-8 minutes, and I bet if this had been an interview with Rush Limbaugh, it would've been allotted the better part of a half hour. In fairness, though, I didn't see the whole show and maybe they had a really "big" guest on as well?

Anyway, the video has been pulled already, so most folks reading this post won't be able to watch it here. YouTube has been absolutely RABID about TV media copyright lately. Over the past few days, several times I'd watch a video and find it unavailable just minutes later.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 6, 2009 10:21:31 AM

2. It seems to be back up, at least for the time being... hopefully anyone who cares to see it will get here soon.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 6, 2009 10:24:01 AM

3. Um... did Whoopi just come out? I thought she was still in?

Posted by: Andrew W | Mar 6, 2009 10:24:44 AM

4. Rachel is one of my favorite people on TV. She acts professionally, and is one of the very few people on TV who can have civil discussions with people with differing viewpoints. She was also a Rhodes scholar, which is inspirational!

Posted by: Ambrose | Mar 6, 2009 10:27:53 AM

5. She's great. I think she's adorably cute and really sharp and articulate, and like Ambrose said, she can converse with anyone and keep her cool.

I really hope she never goes off the deep end like Olbermann.

Obama ought to appoint her to something because she really seems to have her shit together.

Posted by: paul c | Mar 6, 2009 10:54:56 AM

6. I just love her, but, I still don't get why she always has to say she looks like a "boy" when she is quite an attractive woman not at all like any man or boy.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 6, 2009 11:05:02 AM

7. A little additional history re Whoopi and her sexuality:

Posted by: Sasha | Mar 6, 2009 11:13:49 AM

8. I agree with Alex. The notion is old school. She's strong, but not manly at all.

Otherwise, she's just about the best thing to happen to newscasting and MSNBC since it's inception. And I love how she over-power-vocalized on top of Hasselbitch and didn't let herself get railroaded. You GO, Maddow!

Posted by: johnny | Mar 6, 2009 11:26:56 AM

9. A great role model. She's not only comfortable in her own prettily tomboyish skin, she's comfortable talking publicly about being a lesbian, without worrying that it will somehow distract from her investigation of issues that have nothing to do with gayness. (Anderson could take a few lessons. Being a gay role model and a reporter, even a "neutral" one, isn't mutually exclusive.) I love the straightforward (no pun intended) way she takes on the ladies' questions. In some ways I appreciate her more in a setting like this than on her show, where the predictability and occasional smugness of her responses prevents her from being as interesting as she could be. Perhaps perversely, I wish she'd be less like Keith and more like Chris Wallace, without the spittle.

Posted by: Ernie | Mar 6, 2009 11:37:52 AM

10. i was personally acquainted with whoopie back in the early 80s, just before she began her collision course with fame & fortune, and we got to be pretty good friends for awhile. there was never any indication that she was interested sexually in anything but guys. she LOVED the gay boys and palled around with a lot of dykes but i only ever witnessed her showing an interest in men sexually.

Posted by: alguien | Mar 6, 2009 11:45:36 AM

11. Whoopi is straight.

Posted by: SPFinNYC | Mar 6, 2009 11:54:56 AM

12. Just ADORE Rachel! Seriously, she is one of the BEST things to come on tv is a long time. Thank g-d for her because her show is so needed right now.

What's with the Keith Olbermann dissing? We need his show too, imo. So what if he is more left leaning or snarky. He hasn't gone off any deep end to me. He calls it like he sees it and many times he is right on the money. Also, how many straight male allies are there? Except for Jon Stewart calling out Mike Huckabee, it was Keith who did the brilliant special comment on Prop 8.

We need more like Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann!

Posted by: sam | Mar 6, 2009 11:57:42 AM

13. two ways to play it, it's old news so it doesn't matter or she's so old at 54, it doesn't matter. She should talk, Babs is the one who was in a hottub with Judge Judy.

Posted by: cd | Mar 6, 2009 11:58:46 AM

14. I thought it was widely known that Whoopi is lesbian. Hasn't she said that in the past several times? I was pretty sure that was known (perhaps not discussed in the mainstream, but still known through alternative forms of media).

Posted by: Alan | Mar 6, 2009 11:59:14 AM

15. Who cares?! Her sexuality has no bearing on me. The person it should matter to is the person she is sleeping with.

She needs to go back to making great movies...or her on woman shows...

Posted by: Dubwise | Mar 6, 2009 12:02:19 PM

16. i'm pretty sure whoopi has been open about having had sex with women. she said something about it at a glaad media awards event in los angeles, many years ago.

Posted by: kerry | Mar 6, 2009 12:10:26 PM

17. I love her. She is exactly what America needs. She is good humoured, respectful to her opponents, articulate, doesn't shout or lose her temper, and talks sense.

Rachel Maddow For President!!

Posted by: Lubin Odana | Mar 6, 2009 12:14:16 PM

18. Given the audience reaction, I thought Whoopi was making a little joke. But regardless, she has been 100% supportive of LGBT rights in the past, so does it matter whether she's "out" or not?

I was under the impression that we only care about other people's sexual orientation when they're anti-gay hypocrites.

Posted by: John in CA | Mar 6, 2009 12:15:04 PM

19. To people saying Rachel doesn't look a little "mannish" I beg to differ. Please don't see this as me insulting her, however. One time, I saw Rachel in a magazine (I think) and my first thought was, "Damn. That guy is hot!" and then I realized it was Rachel! Just sayin. I love her though!

Posted by: Nick | Mar 6, 2009 12:31:39 PM

20. We remember Whoopi years ago in NYC. The lady is straight. But she's been a good friend to to the gay community.

Posted by: mike | Mar 6, 2009 12:34:29 PM

21. I watched the clip over lunch. Love Rachel like everyone else, but on the Whoopi closet, they were clearly joking about Whoopi having blond hair as a kid.

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 6, 2009 12:48:05 PM

22. @ Nick - I TOTALLY agree...she is a super cute dyke, that would also make a super cute fag

Posted by: Dubwise | Mar 6, 2009 12:48:18 PM

23. As to whether Rachel Maddow is "boyish" or "manish" - my impression is that she wouldn't be offended for someone stating that about her given her openness about her gender variance.

Amongst some in the women's community, Maddow might be considered "soft butch".

My experience is that women have fewer issues with gender variation than us guys.

Posted by: Joe G. | Mar 6, 2009 1:17:45 PM

24. Whoopi mentioned in an Advocate cover story in the mid 1990s that she got her start as a comedian in the 1970s in the lesbian coffeehouses of Cotati, a Sonoma County enclave North of San Francisco. I grew up in that area at that time and it was a mecca of sorts for hippie lesbians and straight women burned out by heterosexuality (aka my mom). She stated in the article that she even though she wasn't a lesbian that she was very comfortable and at home there. Is it possible she fooled around a bit, and that is what was referenced in that AfterEllen.com piece and even this week on The View? Given the times, it wouldn't surprise me. But I don't think she is anything but straight and open-minded.

Posted by: Derek Hartley | Mar 6, 2009 1:48:52 PM

25. One thing that would suggest Whoopi is a lesbian is the outfit she wore at the Oscars, which was just awful.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 6, 2009 1:50:48 PM