Adam Lambert | American Idol | News

Randy Travis Confused by Adam Lambert's Black Nail Polish

Lambert

Flame on!

Glass closet contestant Adam Lambert chose Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" on American Idol last night. The judges and Randy Travis seemed baffled by the performance, though I believe Travis did take a liking to those black nails.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Randy Travis must be living away from civilization. I have a 21-yr-old straight roommate who wears black nail-polish.

Posted by: scar2 | Mar 18, 2009 10:44:22 AM

2. I thought Adam Lambert was amazing last night. It was weird, wild, risky... but I could not take my eyes off him.

I love how this season of Idol is shaping up to be milquetoast christianist retard Danny Gokey vs. freaky fabulous homo Adam Lambert. It's like a metaphor for America. Who knew AI could be so poignant.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 18, 2009 10:49:15 AM

3. I think Randy Travis is more confused by a gay artist with no plans to marry his manager/beard.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Mar 18, 2009 10:51:43 AM

4. I can't stand Lambert! He's a glam reject and so far I haven't heard anything out of him that I would listen to or buy. He sometimes sounds like Axl Rose and other times like a poser simply screaming into the microphone. I thought his performance last night was frightening, and certainly not in the country theme of the night. Idol should have thrown out the country night years ago, but if they continue to have it then the contestants should have to conform. He definitely stood out, but not for positive reasons. Give me more of Megan Joy... the girl has got it going on!

Posted by: Wayne | Mar 18, 2009 11:01:41 AM

5. is it just me, or can you see Ryan Seacrest's desire to lick Adam Lambert from head to toe radiating out of him?

Posted by: dego | Mar 18, 2009 11:06:44 AM

6. If Randy Travis is confused over this, I would have to wonder how he made it to this ripe old age of his?

Now THAT is confusing!

Posted by: Marc | Mar 18, 2009 11:12:09 AM

7. oh, Randy, you old queer. i suppose you found a look and will be sticking to it.

country "music" and rap are both stultifying -- simple words from simple minds. any idiot can string a few words together and make them rhyme. only the near brain dead can appreciate that claptrap.

just like ms davis, "i abhor cheap sentiment" and vulgarity.

Posted by: nic | Mar 18, 2009 11:14:18 AM

8. Puh-leez. Randy Travis IS confused. But it ain't about black nail polish...

Posted by: JTlvr | Mar 18, 2009 11:19:16 AM

9. Hahaha, I can understand how Adam might not be everyone's cup of tea...but to say he can't sing, and then praise the talents of Megan Joy is absolutely ridiculous, and clearly the attitude of someone who knows nothing about how to sing. Adam is over the top, but he is crazy good. Megan is a truck-stop dumpster ho with a pretty face, a middling, almost-adequate folksy twang, and penchant for blowing British reality-TV producers.

Posted by: Ugh | Mar 18, 2009 11:19:37 AM

10. Randy looks a LOT older than his 49 years, poor dear.

Adam's "Ring of Fire" was uncomfortable to say the least - couldn't wait for it to be over.

Posted by: MammaBear | Mar 18, 2009 11:21:12 AM

11. Johnny Cash- who covered Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" late in his career, would have been very pleased with Adam's performance.

Posted by: homer | Mar 18, 2009 11:25:29 AM

12. How can anyone spend their life in any aspect of the music business and be confused by nail polish?

Ridiculous!

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Adam’s Ring of Fire.
    It was so creative and exciting, the first performance of this season I had to watch on youtube the next day!
    Adam is a true artist and I can’t wait to see what he’ll do next.
    Also, was really surprised at the judges (besides Randy), so weirdly conservative.

Posted by: agilog | Mar 18, 2009 11:29:51 AM

13. "I [too] adore cheap sentiment!" (Michael "quoting" Bette Davis in "Boys in the Band".) What I do not adore is the chunky baby diva vibe, the outer limits of which A.Lam is pushing. Nevertheless, at least A.Lam looks like who he is and does not parade around in a portable, though flimsy, closet, Randy. What I detest is a deeply closeted Country singer feigning a distaste for what he thinks the good ol' boys would consider effeminate fashion.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 18, 2009 11:30:31 AM

14. christopherm

LOL

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 18, 2009 11:31:03 AM

15. I can't find the original link now, but, this Gay guy Adam has really pissed of the Christo-weirdos.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 18, 2009 11:32:22 AM

16. @CHRISTOPHERM: "I think Randy Travis is more confused by a gay artist with no plans to marry his manager/beard."

I can't wait to tell my mom that I'm going to marry a beautiful comment that makes me laugh.

Posted by: Mike B. | Mar 18, 2009 11:43:21 AM

17. first to urh, i think megan joy has a great voice, it's just her performing that doesn't work for me.

as for adam lamdbert, i don't buy it.
    i think his whole persona is just an act
    it's like he figured out that if he wanted to be a star he was going to have to be somebody else so he created this character

that isn't to say he can't sing or isn't a terrific performer, but the whole hair farmer rock star thing seems pretty fabricated to me

Posted by: reddevilboy | Mar 18, 2009 11:44:13 AM

18. Oh I don't doubt that Adam Lambert's persona is fabricated...it is obviously derivative and been done before. That still does not mean Megan can sing very well. She's ok enough to churn out a sorta-decent performance every once in awhile, as long as she picks the right song to suit her limited voice...but let's not pretend that she would have had any chance in HELL of still being here if she wasn't as pretty as she is. Every season there is one girl who gets by completely on her looks, and this season it is Megan Joy. (Funny how, until this week, the show listed her as "Megan Joy Cockrell" or whatever. They are pushing this mediocre bitch way too hard.)

Posted by: Ugh | Mar 18, 2009 11:51:52 AM

19. For a bunch of "music industry people" they cleared missed that Adam's take on "Ring of Fire" was very reminiscent of Jim Morrison and the Doors.

to Lil Rounds: You need to give it some RB flava

to Adam: That wasn't country

More contradictions from the judges.

But Adam does need to bring it down a notch, because it does come across as self indulgent.

Posted by: qjersey | Mar 18, 2009 12:02:58 PM

20. I dont even watch the show and for once I heard something making complete sense coming out of Paula Abdul's mouth. Simon is full of shit...and give me a break, I was wearing black fingernail polish in 1985. Boo.

I don't think Travis really said anything even remotely offensive. He was actually fairly collected about the whole thing. Sometimes you just really can't teach an old dog new tricks, that's all.

Posted by: eric@gettherabbit.com | Mar 18, 2009 12:10:30 PM

21. RUDY,

i think that it was teddy roosevelt that made a distinction between sentiment and sentimentality. the great bette did not get the memo. nevertheless, it makes for a great quote, don't it?

regarding adam: yeah, he is too cherubic for me, but that boy CAN sing. para que se le quita?

Posted by: nic | Mar 18, 2009 12:10:44 PM

22. Adam is the single greatest thing AI has ever seen. He gets a reaction - no middle ground. For someone who seems like such a nice guy, he's incredibly sexually threatening. That "Ring Of Fire" gave more people a boner than anything ever performed on the show. And the voice is insane. That show just doesn't know how to deal with anything other than a Six Flags Over Georgia entertainer. Adam ROCKS!!!!!!! I WANT HIM TO BE MY SLUT!!!!!!

Posted by: Jim | Mar 18, 2009 12:14:49 PM

23. Channeling my boyfriend, who's not online today:

The music biz folks apparently don't know that Johnny Cash was a rebel himself. They mentioned Nine Inch Nails without saying that Cash himself did a NIN cover.

I thought Adam's version was fantastic. Very complex. Very hard to sing. And he nailed it. He's on a totally different level than all the other competitors.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Mar 18, 2009 12:21:17 PM

24. I'm a straight woman who loves Adam. Kudos to him for being himself! Randy Travis was more cool than that woman he was with. I don't even think she applauded!

Posted by: Becky | Mar 18, 2009 12:24:22 PM

25. when does a fag get long enough in the tooth to stop wearing tee shirts in public? miss simon needs to get a clue. wtf is wrong w/her?

Posted by: nic | Mar 18, 2009 12:31:30 PM