Michael Steele | News | Republican Party | Rush Limbaugh

RNC Chair Michael Steele: Rush Limbaugh War was 'Strategic'

In an interview with CNN's Don Lemon, RNC Chair Michael Steele says his prolonged feud with Rush Limbaugh was part of a "strategic" master plan.

Steele Says Steele: "If I do something there's a reason for it. It may look like a mistake, a gaffe. There's a rationale behind it."

He says the rationale behind his Rush Limbaugh plan was that he wanted to "see what the landscape looks like, see who yells the loudest. I want to know who says they're with me , but really isn't...It helps me understand my position on the chess board. It helps me understand you know, where the enemy camp is and where those who inside the tent are."

His master plan doesn't extend to his future political aspirations, apparently. Because he also says he's never thought of running for president, and if he does, it's because it's God's plan, not his.

I wonder what his "strategies" are behind his views on gays and abortion?

Watch the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I somehow doubt that these people and God are on the same strategic page. And how, exactly, does God's plan reveal itself to these loons? Sun coming out from behind a cloud? Saucy billboard? Fortune cookie?

Posted by: David D. | Mar 26, 2009 11:00:16 AM

2. If you wait till the 1:12 mark of this video, his comments will ALL MAKE SENSE!!!

Posted by: Dhani Darko | Mar 26, 2009 11:05:09 AM

3. Someone who is being strategic does not tell The Entire World about his strategy. Sad, in an abstract "I meant to do that!" kind of way...

Their flailing is so sweet to me, I could put it on my pancakes!

Posted by: bgbaysjr | Mar 26, 2009 11:09:53 AM

4. what a load of BS! " I wanted to see what the landscape was like"!!! I believe both MS and RL got more then they bargained for and it has hurt the GOP and each of them individually. Noticeably absent these past few weeks Rush has been very very quiet - so either he has been made to shut up or the press really could care less what he thinks!

Posted by: alex in boston | Mar 26, 2009 11:11:05 AM

5. Wow. Love to know Dr. Ada Fisher's thoughts about this latest craziness coming out of Steele's mouth. She looks the type to pay him a visit in DC, turn him over her knee (bet he'd enjoy that!) and send him to his room without supper.

Seriously though, this guy needs to see a psychiatrist STAT! Something's not right upstairs.

Posted by: Mark (another one) | Mar 26, 2009 11:13:24 AM

6. lawl!

Posted by: Jason | Mar 26, 2009 11:17:16 AM

7. this has all the marks of desperation, the faint aroma of performing seals (to quote the old song). this man has his lips firmly planted on rush's ass.

good gawd, i just grossed myself out. can you imagine what that big fat ass must smell like?

Posted by: nic | Mar 26, 2009 11:22:03 AM

8. Those crazy Republicans will just say anything, won't they?

I think their strategy is clear: Make Obama fail.

My question would be "what makes them think Americans would automatically turn to the GOP to solve the very problems they caused if the Obama plans are not 100% effective?"

Posted by: JONNY NYNY2FLFL | Mar 26, 2009 11:25:00 AM

9. I just don't see what Michael Steele brings to the table. Not only does he lack experience, he lacks any sort of knowledge of the issues. Some of the remarks he has made in the past on a variety of issues (i.e. global warming) are quite Palin-esque. He's out of touch, and he has a long track record of failure in both his business and his political careers. Other than exploiting his minority status, I don't see what the Republican Party can gain from him.

Posted by: Jason Ray | Mar 26, 2009 11:26:47 AM

10. I meant to do that!

/Peewee Herman

Posted by: Francis | Mar 26, 2009 11:28:16 AM

11. PEOPLE who HAVE a strategy like that - don't announce it - even after the fact. WHAT AN EGO. Trying to save face. And his "IT WILL BE GOD'S PLAN" - yeah Obama looks down right smug at times - but these people who believe they are the conduits of God are freaks that I'm scared of -- because they are either sc*mbags that say this to manipulate the ignorant or WORSE - they actually believe their the ROD and (the far) RIGHT.

He's bizarro obama --

Posted by: PERSPECTIVE | Mar 26, 2009 11:54:20 AM

12. War. What is it good for - absolutely nothing... Neither are the combatants, in this case...

Posted by: Hugo | Mar 26, 2009 12:14:31 PM

13. He's brilliant. I would suggest browsing through Princess Sparkle Pony's "Michael Steele Roundup for an excellent synopsis.

Posted by: B | Mar 26, 2009 12:20:44 PM

14. Here's what gets me...

How little respect does Steele have for the American people? Does he seriously think that we are buying any of this crap?

I can only surmise that he is either utterly disdainful of the American voting public or he is blinded by desperation to save his job, which appears to be unraveling all around him. Either way, he is rendered a joke and his party sinks deeper into naysaying irrelevance.

Posted by: notshychirev | Mar 26, 2009 12:27:51 PM

15. As a life long resident of Maryland, I'm comfortable in assuring you our former Lt. Governor Michael Steele is nothing more than a dim light bulb.

Posted by: Bojo | Mar 26, 2009 12:30:00 PM

16. Yeah, he's a veritable sun tzu...

Posted by: TANK | Mar 26, 2009 12:35:06 PM

17. Well, if it was his "strategy" to make himself look like an ineffectual wimp he did a great job.

Posted by: DB | Mar 26, 2009 1:09:36 PM

18. Jesus ! He's even more stupid than I thought he was !

Posted by: hephaistion | Mar 26, 2009 1:43:47 PM

19. He must be related to Joe the Pope Ratzinger AKA Benny XVI. "Even when I'm wrong, I'm right, because I'm infallible."

Posted by: CANChuckle | Mar 26, 2009 2:41:59 PM

20. Steele was selected to be & still is the Republican Party lawn jockey. My opinion has never varied.

Posted by: mike shackleford | Mar 26, 2009 2:54:11 PM

21. Like all Republicans, his ego cannot allow him to admit that the party has no answers. In my opinion, Steele and Log Cabin Republicans, need to realize that they are tokens for the Republican Party to say "we include everyone."

Posted by: 2nd Class Citizen | Mar 27, 2009 10:10:27 AM

22. Strategic, my ass. By the way, RL hasn't been quiet this past week or two. He continues spewing his vitriol on a daily basis. He's not as extreme as Sean Hannity, though. Seanie-boy had Michelle Bachmann on his radio show yesterday, where Ms. Eich.. I mean, Bachmann brazenly called for open revolt against the Obama presidency. Hannity was, of course, agreeing with her and saying that he would help her get her message out there to "real" Americans. Um, why isn't anybody calling out these people and their blatant sedition and treason? Where's our vaunted DHS or the FBI? If Seanie-boy and Ms. Eich... I mean, Bachmann were Democrats or liberals, there would be such a media storm right now.

Posted by: mike | Mar 27, 2009 2:59:36 PM