Ewan McGregor | Film | Jim Carrey | News | Playing Gay

Ewan McGregor: 'Of Course' Phillip Morris is a Gay Movie

Phillipmorris

Ewan McGregor knocks down discussion at Sundance (perhaps to try and sell it) that I Love You Phillip Morris isn't a gay movie:

"Y'know there was a lot of talk about it at Sundance about it not being a 'gay movie.' Well, I think it is a gay movie. Of course it's a gay movie. It's about two gay men or three gay men, y'know? And a man whose relationships are with men. And although the humor isn't born out of the fact it's about gay men, it's a funny movie.  Y'know, I never wanted to be worried about the fact that it's a gay story because it is.  I hope they locked it that way. You can imagine that the people who deal with such things going, 'Oh, let's make sure people don't think it's a gay movie and y'know that won't sell.' But of course it is, and it's a good film."

The gay prison romance is set for release on Valentine's Day.

Comments

1. Huh, I'd heard rumors this wouldn't be released in theaters at all. How wide will the release be?

Posted by: mcc | May 15, 2009 3:35:17 PM

2. Yeeha! The Minstrel Show's in town. I just love those boys in gayface!

Posted by: protogenes | May 15, 2009 4:03:10 PM

3. And right on cue the Towleroad "Welcoming Committee" has has arrived. I'm sure you all prefer "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry."

Ewan McGregor is a teriffic actor, a very smart individual and ONE FABULOUS BABE!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 15, 2009 5:24:50 PM

4. Ewan McGregor is cool...

If Gays can't hate on any other gay stuff, the world would go crazy! Who needs straights or religous nutjobs??

Posted by: Rowan | May 15, 2009 5:39:32 PM

5. Sucks that this movie will take 2 plus years to come out (pun not intended). I first heard about and saw screen shots of this movie last Winter/Spring. Although, I know this is common in the movie industry and just am thankful that it will EVENTUALLY see the light of day.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | May 15, 2009 5:43:22 PM

6. "And right on cue the Towleroad "Welcoming Committee" has has arrived"

Not really, just an historical observation. In the 20's it was black men played by Jewish men, in the 40's it was Chinese men played by Norwegian men, and now it's gay men played by straight men.

And re: Chuck and Larry, same ballpark, with much lesser actors.

Posted by: protogenes | May 15, 2009 6:11:48 PM

7. i'm not a jim carrey fan, but i love ewan. he was very cool on Leno last night. the last time he was on the tonight show, a year or two ago, leno and he had a supersoaker fight and when ewan slipped and fell it was clear he was going commando, which is always a fun discovery for me... i know, it's terribly shallow of me to remember such incidents, but i'm OK with that.... my biggest worry about this movie is that carrey will overact, as he ALWAYS does, and ruin it.

Posted by: casey | May 15, 2009 6:22:53 PM

8. I'm glad McGregor put an end to the nonsense about classifying this as a "post gay" movie.

Someone connected with the film finally used some common sense.

Posted by: Anthony in Nashville | May 15, 2009 6:28:58 PM

9. I don't see any controversy in non-gays playing gays. These two name actors will bring a lot of attention to the project and perhaps some people will grow a little less freaked out by two men in love.

If this is a controversy, please let inform all gay actors that roles of straight men will be played only by bonafide pussy marauders.

Posted by: SteveDenver | May 15, 2009 6:39:04 PM

10. According to "Photogenes" rules Sean Penn should give back his Oscar for "Milk" and Neil Patrick Harris should be fired from "How I Met Your Mother."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 15, 2009 8:23:00 PM

11. There's nothing wrong with straight people playing gay people, just like there's nothing wrong with gay people playing straight people. They're actors. If they can play the part well, they should get the job.

I'm glad McGregor isn't ashamed to admit this is clearly a gay movie. Saying its just a "love story that happens to involve gay people" usually seems like a tactic to market to heterosexual audiences.

Posted by: Wes | May 15, 2009 8:35:48 PM

12. "Sean Penn should give back his Oscar for "Milk" and Neil Patrick Harris should be fired from "How I Met Your Mother."

Not at all, I just lament we are in a time where a movie with gay themes can not star gay actors in gay roles and expect any kind of box office success (I'm sure there have been exceptions, but over the years the trend holds: Philadelphia, Brokeback Mountain, Milk etc)

So we get gayface, "a tactic to market to heterosexual audiences"

Posted by: protogenes | May 15, 2009 8:55:56 PM

13. The flip side of that coin is that the number of out actors is small, and I'm sure many of them have agents (or an internal voice) telling them to avoid gay roles for fear of being pigeonholed as only being able to play gay.

I think it's ridiculous this will take another nine months to be released, even if Valentine's Day is a nice choice.

Posted by: Paul R | May 16, 2009 7:42:53 AM

14. It's scheduled for tuesday here in Cannes. Will take a look + see how people react to it. I'm intrigued cause I read the book and there was nothing comic about it. + I didn't like in the trailer how they were implying that the main character (Carrey) became gay after a hit on the head in a car crash. Yikes. Still Ewan can do no wrong by me. So I'm 50/50 at the moment...

Posted by: arn0 | May 16, 2009 5:15:34 PM

15. Protogenes, none of the movies you listed starred gay men.

Posted by: Glenn | May 18, 2009 4:16:40 AM

16. Ewan McGregor is one of best actor forme.

Posted by: Movie Online | May 27, 2009 3:29:43 AM

17. niceee i love this guys

Posted by: ดูหนังออนไลน์ | Mar 19, 2010 9:24:43 PM

18. Wow.......Ewan McGregor Sexy guy..

Posted by: palm tree plant | May 5, 2010 10:33:27 AM