Crime | Gay Bar | News | Ohio

Gay Man Beaten by Gang of People at Ohio Bar Over His Sexuality

Ohio

After a night of provocation and taunting, a 31-year-old Maineville, Ohio man was brutally attacked by at least four people during a night out at Tabby's American Bar and Grill, Local 12 reports:

Hatecrime "Ronnie Robertson's nose is broken, he has deep cuts and scratches around his eyes and cheeks. The 31 year old Mainville man is openly gay, his friends saying he's regretting not going to a gay bar Tuesday night...A criminal investigation is underway, looking for everyone involved in the attack. Two women were arrested on the spot: Sarah Goldsberry, and Tammy Lingle. They are charged with felony assault, and disrupting police business...Kelly Coffey says her friends, a mix of gay and straight people chose Tabby's to play sand volleyball - but were harassed by a man who continued to ask who in the group was gay and who wasn't & her brother finally answered. 'When he admitted that he was, they lost it, went crazy and started attacking my brother and pushing him out of the bar.'"

Police are looking for at least two men involved in the attack, and Local 12 has not been able to reach the bar's owner.

Watch their report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I hope that bitch grinning in her mug shot gets her ass to'up in jail!

Posted by: shane | May 29, 2009 12:10:50 PM

2. Yeah,, its a crying shame when you cant even go out for a beer without some nobody looking for trouble. I hope they put them under the jail.

Posted by: Wally | May 29, 2009 12:42:27 PM

3. SARAH (smilin') GOLDSBERRY's MySpace page:

I could only find one TAMMY LINGLE in Ohio:

Cornerstone Elementary
    101 West Bowman
    Wooster, OH 44691
    ferguson.sh@wooster.k12.oh.us
    Principal: Sharon Ferguson
    Building Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Student Day: 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
    TAMMY LINGLE, Secretary
    Important Numbers:
    Main Number (330) 262-9666
    Fax Number (330) 262-7611

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | May 29, 2009 12:44:53 PM

4. Why is it that in most these hate crime cases there is one gay vs two, three, or four other people?

Posted by: JonLee | May 29, 2009 12:46:52 PM

5. What planet are these people from? I thought the days of assaulting people because they were different than you were over, guess I am just naive...so sad that people are so ignorant!

Posted by: Kris | May 29, 2009 12:56:22 PM

6. @ JONLEE

Not rocket science, these people S-P-E-C-I-F-I-C-A-L-L-Y target gay men.

So they go into gay clubs OR hang around there, to specifically beat the crap out of a gay man. That's their kick. Thier jinx. Thier endormorphine high.

Posted by: Rowan | May 29, 2009 12:57:29 PM

7. Sarah Goldsberry's About Me section on her MySpace says, "Women who behave well rarely go down in history" with a smiley face behind it. People like this should be sterilized. This world is full of the wrong kind of people.

Posted by: Ryan | May 29, 2009 12:59:22 PM

8. Well, according to her MySpace page, that festering twat SARAH GOLDSBERRY is a "Bar Tender" at Tabby's, where this incident occurred.

Posted by: ib4e | May 29, 2009 1:04:37 PM

9. They should prosecute this as a hate crime and the victim should sue the bar owners-- Sarah Goldsberry's My Space page says she WORKS at Tabby's as a bartender. The bar would be liable for their employees behavior.

Goldsberry's My Space page also has a picture posted from a friend of a church message monument sign from someplace called Havens Corner Church with these words as the christian message: "I kissed a girl and I liked it then I went to hell" posted Feb. 24, 2009 at 4:32am.

And her favorite quote: Women who behave well rarely go down in history.

Someone should archive that whole page and ket the victim know that the bar is liable. I hope they all go to jail.

Posted by: Disgusted | May 29, 2009 1:17:14 PM

10. someone should totally get a screenshot of all this - I can't at work, otherwise I would - and share with the victim.

Posted by: Joshua | May 29, 2009 1:23:44 PM

11. @ROWAN and JONLEE

You raise good points. To Jonlee's, I often wonder when reading stories like this, where the gay men's friends are while they're getting assaulted. I'm going to guess that the attacks are so fast that the damage is done before anyone can react. One punch can do a lot of damage, and unless you're within arm's length, you can't do much to stop someone getting hit. In this case, it sounds like they ran the poor guy out the door before anyone could help him.

Posted by: MikeMick | May 29, 2009 1:25:06 PM

12. I love the way the guys got the hell outta there and left the girls behind. I am sure they feel really macho today, right? What chickenshit cowardly asswipes! When they are in jail for hate crimes assault, and their asses are being plundered daily by 'Big Joe', I wonder if they would imagine what it would be like not to be such hateful homophobes and have respect for others instead, so they would not have gotten into that kind of situation in the first place?

Don't know what responsibility the girls have in it, but if they were arrested too, then I guess they took part in the assault too?

These cowards are so fucking sickening!

Posted by: CK | May 29, 2009 1:39:29 PM

13. Ah, yes, heterosexual females....the "fairer sex". The only thing "fair" about them is their carnival sideshow freakability.

And the quote from Ryan's post: "Women who behave well rarely go down in history" shows how ignorant that nasty drunken cow is-- how about Marie Curie, Queen Elizabeth, JK Rowling, Michelle Obama, or Madeline Albright? I can just see her responding--all snarly and cross-eyed--"whuu?" like Toots from Drawn Together. She's just another ignorant "Sarah" -- no talent or education, just bile and beligerence. I see a broomstick playing prominently in her stay in jail wielded by her social equals.

Posted by: woodroad34 | May 29, 2009 1:42:16 PM

14. Oh, and I forgot the excellent example of Rachel Maddow as a well-behaved, well-respected woman who will be remembered in the history books more than Missy sad-ass Sarah.

Posted by: woodroad34 | May 29, 2009 1:48:40 PM

15. Maineville, Ohio. Just outside of Cincinnati, where Republican Ken Blackwell got his start.

Posted by: MyDogBen | May 29, 2009 2:10:28 PM

16. And I think the last 25 or so of these attack crimes on gay people have had the hate crime aspect dismissed. Makes you fucking hate straight america.

Posted by: Jersey | May 29, 2009 2:13:20 PM

17. "Well behaved women rarely make history" is a quote from the famous historian, feminist and Harvard professor Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. Although interpretations vary, it's been a feminist catchphrase for decades, and I would hardly think less of Mizz Goldsberry for quoting it on her myspace.

Instead, think less of her for being an ignorant shitpile.

Posted by: JeffRob | May 29, 2009 3:18:57 PM

18. wait, why are people so against the feminist quote?
    for the record, the quote is actually ""Well behaved women seldom make history" and comes from Harvard prof Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.
    i thought queer people would be /for/ a little feminism.

Posted by: Yalie | May 29, 2009 3:24:26 PM

19. I can almost guarantee that when the other attackers are arrested they'll turn out to be guys with police records already. Gay bashers always seem to be criminals to begin with.

Posted by: JoeTynan | May 29, 2009 3:26:14 PM

20. Close to Cincy which is part of the bible belt.

Posted by: Travis | May 29, 2009 5:06:00 PM

21. I live in the Cincinnati area. Maineville is about 30 minutes or more from downtown Cincinnati and is really a rural community. It isn't far from King's Island amusement park, but nothing else is nearby.

Attitudes in the city of Cincinnati have a long way to go toward acceptance, but they are way ahead of Maineville. Unfortunately, I can't say I was surprised that it happened there. There are a lot of rednecks in that area.

Posted by: LUMOS1313 | May 29, 2009 6:04:05 PM

22. Haterosexuals are troublemakers.

The reason multiple haterosexuals (unusually males) attrack a single gay person is because they always want to win. The same mindset happened on Wall Street where haterosexual males got big bonuses even if they did a horrible job. Haterosexuals want a playing field that always benefits them.

Posted by: Bill | May 29, 2009 9:32:45 PM

23. Thanks Towle for reporting on this.

@ JONLEE "Why is it that in most these hate crime cases there is one gay vs two, three, or four other people?"

It's an interesting question. I'd posit that the answer can be found in primate behavior. Humans, like chimpanzees, generally avoid conflict unless there's a significant advantage. If two hostile and evenly matched groups meet, then there's a lot of shouting and jumping around, but it rarely descends into open conflict. When one chimp meets eight or nine chimps, then the larger group will just kill the lone chimp.

There's also some psychological reasons, I imagine. The group of straight men (and straight women too it seems) use the gay man as a way to build their own group up. By brutalizing the gay man, the group affirms their own sense of identity, etc. and increase their survival advantage -- group cohesion. It's why, as a gay man, I probably have little to fear from one guy, but when he's in a group then the chance of me being attacked is MUCH higher.

Makes me wonder if there are steps groups can take to prevent these kinds of attacks from happening. Now, there's no way of knowing how this really unfolded: It happened so quickly, the victim's group was unaware of what was happening until it was too late, and so on.

We can't expect anyone to go back into the closet at the sight of danger. That's exactly what these bastards want. Probably should come to an understanding with our straight comrades that if there's danger, then we must present a united front. In other words, we have to stop being so naive about people who want to hurt us. We don't need to be militants, but we need to be aware and prepared to put aside our differences and come together at the slightest provocation like a group of wild chimps, basically.

Posted by: Uncle Herman | May 29, 2009 9:52:59 PM

24. Bill : Stop that. That's like some weird kind of heterophobia you're talking there. Don't insult our straight friends.

Posted by: JoeTynan | May 29, 2009 10:32:42 PM

25. ugh. That makes me so sick. One reason why I left Ohio - so I could feel free to be openly gay

Posted by: chase | May 29, 2009 10:42:12 PM