Adam Lambert | I'm Gay | News

Adam Lambert: 'I'm Gay. I'm Proud of My Sexuality. I Embrace It.'

Lambert

Adam Lambert tells Rolling Stone in its new issue:

"I don’t think it should be a surprise for anyone to hear that I’m gay. I've been living in Los Angeles for eight years as a gay man. I've been at clubs drunk making out with somebody in the corner...Right after the finale, I almost started talking about it to the reporters, but I thought, ‘I’m going to wait for Rolling Stone, that will be cooler. I didn’t want the Clay Aiken thing and the celebrity-magazine bullshit. I need to be able to explain myself in context. I’m proud of my sexuality. I embrace it. It’s just another part of me....[Ultimately], I’m trying to be a singer, not a civil rights leader."

More: "I loved it this season when the girls went crazy for me. As far as I'm concerned, it's all hot."

Lambert2 Stereotypes annoy him: "Clay Aiken's gay, and I'm gay, and we couldn't be more different. The only thing that is the same about everyone in the gay community is that we're gay. ... Why can't we talk about a human community?"

On his thoughts when he was placed as Kris Allen's roommate in the Idol mansion: "They put me with the cute guy. Distracting! He's the one guy I found attractive in the whole group on the show: nice, nonchalant, pretty and totally my type — except that he has a wife. I mean he's open-minded and liberal, but he's definitely 100% straight."

Behind-the-scenes cover shoot video here. Cover photograph by Matthew Rolston for Rolling Stone.

Comments

1. Gee. Do ya think?

Maybe the snake in his crotch will bite him and he will just go away.

Just. Go. Away.

Posted by: jtramon | Jun 9, 2009 9:59:08 AM

2. Duh!

Posted by: Sean | Jun 9, 2009 10:01:56 AM

3. I for one am shocked!

Posted by: jon | Jun 9, 2009 10:02:38 AM

4. shocking............................PFT

Posted by: liz templin | Jun 9, 2009 10:08:25 AM

5. YUM, sex on a stick (preferably my stick ; )

Posted by: RONTEX | Jun 9, 2009 10:12:46 AM

6. Second place, he was the Winner, the cover is terrific.
    I wish him all the Love and Success he wants and deserves.

Posted by: Bob West | Jun 9, 2009 10:13:00 AM

7. Does anyone care?
    Yawn.

Posted by: Lars | Jun 9, 2009 10:13:14 AM

8. I am shocked, I tell you, just SHOCKED at this news!

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Jun 9, 2009 10:13:30 AM

9. All the talent of an Amusement park side show singer (Think Six Flags or Knott's Berry but not Disney). And he wears more make up than Dolly Parton. What Ever. "I’m trying to be a singer, not a civil rights leader." At least he admits he is "trying" to be a singer.

Posted by: ggreen | Jun 9, 2009 10:16:47 AM

10. Why can't the cute one be gay!? Wtf!

Posted by: wilburforce | Jun 9, 2009 10:19:15 AM

11. " I didn’t want the Clay Aiken thing and the celebrity-magazine bullshit."

^ isnt rolling stones also a celebrity magazine??

Posted by: liz templin | Jun 9, 2009 10:20:03 AM

12. Not to add to the Adam Lambert side show, but this qoute he gave to USA Today about Kris Allen is cute. In fact, Kris is pretty much the only thing that makes Adam seem real.

"But exactly what is his type? When Idol producers put him in a room to share with Allen, Lambert says his first thought was, "They put me with the cute guy. Distracting! He's the one guy I found attractive in the whole group on the show: nice, nonchalant, pretty and totally my type — except that he has a wife. I mean he's open-minded and liberal, but he's definitely 100% straight."

I wish that Adam knew, or maybe he does, that some of the things that are happening right now won't help his musical career, but they will help him be just one of the countless celebrities, who are famous for little more than being famous.

Posted by: Cadence | Jun 9, 2009 10:25:07 AM

13. Well, nothing like someone else getting attention to bring out all the bitter queens trying to look self important. It'd be nice if just one time, the queens would drop the pretentious attitude and just be happy that a gay person out there is doing well for themselves in spite of being gay. Really,show some class for once.

Posted by: Liam | Jun 9, 2009 10:25:35 AM

14. Wow, so much bitterness in these comments. I think Adam is a terrifically talented singer and musician. It is his choice when and where to reveal personal details, and we should respect that. To say he is a side show singer is to reveal one's own lack of discernment. You guys criticize public persons when they come out, don't come out, hide and/or flaunt. Get a life.

Posted by: busytimmy | Jun 9, 2009 10:29:17 AM

15. Why does Rolling Stone make up stuff? Adam should sue them for slander.

Posted by: crispy | Jun 9, 2009 10:29:56 AM

16. I didn't realize I took a wrong turn to Bitter City.

Posted by: Wes | Jun 9, 2009 10:33:01 AM

17. I haven't been this amazed since, oh, Clay Aiken or Lance Bass came out... ;-)

But seriously, I wish him all the success in the world. (Still, I'm a tad disappointed that he feels he's ultimately "a singer rather than a civil activist," but to each his/her/its own...)

Posted by: John S. Hall | Jun 9, 2009 10:33:52 AM

18. there's a long tradition of pop stars coming out and/or revealing their orientation in Rolling Stone. In pop history, it's the one mainstream "rock"publication that has some legacy and authority. Completely understand his intention to try to handle his own reveal in the way that he'd like. Regardless of your taste for his music/style (not a huge fan of it here), give the guy some credit for trying to come out the way he'd like.

Posted by: brian | Jun 9, 2009 10:35:47 AM

19. Love the cover! Love the trimmed chest hair! Love Adam!

Posted by: marq | Jun 9, 2009 10:36:17 AM

20. Is Towleroad really on the cover of Rolling Stones?

Posted by: Jon | Jun 9, 2009 10:39:29 AM

21. You guys do realize that it was in Adam's contract with "Idol" that he was not allowed to publicly disclose his sexuality until the producers decided that he could...and that freedom was not provided to him immediately after the season ended. The producers waited and searched for the best way for him to disclose his sexuality with it having the least "damaging" effect on Adam's future financial success (for them, not really for Adam) and that's why Rolling Stone was chosen. Adam has tried to subtly drop hints both during "Idol" and after "Idol" to talk about his sexuality and has tried to do what he could to get around his contract (like being see out holding hands with his boyfriend, Drake). This is why other "Idol" people, including Kara DioGuardi and Kris Allen, have been allowed to speak about Adam's sexuality...because it's not expressly stated in their "Idol" contracts.

So before all of you people hate on Adam for "hiding" his sexuality...know how the entertainment industry works before opening your mouths.

Posted by: Doug | Jun 9, 2009 10:47:55 AM

22. I'm glad he came out. And I'm not going to make some snotty comment like "I'm SO shocked". Good for Adam Lambert.

Posted by: Terry | Jun 9, 2009 10:48:46 AM

23. If Adam Lambert becomes a superstar, appeals to mass amounts of people, and still wears makeup on TV and kisses men in public, then more young gay sngers won’t have to worry about being openly gay.

Posted by: GENE | Jun 9, 2009 10:49:58 AM

24. Awesome cover! I've never been this excited about a celebrity. But I am so happy he's revealed his sexuality. I can't wait to buy his new music, I already got all his stuff on Idol. He is so talented!

Posted by: Bill | Jun 9, 2009 10:54:14 AM

25. Honestly … good for him. I think if this reaches even one boy out in, I don’t know, a farm in South Dakota and questioning HIS sexuality – this will give him a reason to be fine w/ who he is and not be ashamed of HIS sexuality.

Posted by: Al | Jun 9, 2009 10:59:37 AM