Anderson Cooper | Andrew Sullivan | Barack Obama | Dick Cheney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Andrew Sullivan and Anderson Cooper on Cheney, Obama, and Gays

Sully_cooper

Andrew Sullivan talked with Anderson Cooper last night about Dick Cheney's statement on same-sex marriage, President Obama's LGBT Pride proclamation, and wondered why "Obama is ducking the core civil rights movement of our time."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Unless something is done--and soon--Obama had better not come asking me for money come re-election time. So far, concerning LGBT issues, he has been mere empty rhetoric. Pretty words are no substitute for change.

Posted by: Webster | Jun 2, 2009 8:44:41 AM

2. Surreal - watching a closeted guy talk about gay civil rights. Why should we expect the government to recognize our rights when we don't stand up for ourselves in our own lives. Poor AC.

Posted by: fred | Jun 2, 2009 8:53:19 AM

3. What's that little 'woo' cooing noise Chaney makes at :35...!!!

Posted by: Johnny C | Jun 2, 2009 9:12:45 AM

4. Anderson Cooper is hard to watch lately. he's become so annoying

Posted by: peter | Jun 2, 2009 9:13:01 AM

5. The interesting part of this discussion was that the USA will still not allow HIV pos people to enter the country.....while every other country does....60 HIV turned back at the Canada border !! Small wonder that the USA in the last eight years has become the most despised of nations. Why has Obama not implemented the law changed by Congress ???? Obama seems to have done nothing for gay rights except issue an update on his campaign promises. Have we all been deceived yet again ? Obama is terrified of doing anything pro-gay......fine words don't cut it anymore, we can't wait.

Posted by: JackfuknTwist | Jun 2, 2009 9:17:53 AM

6. Yeah I agree with Fred. The whole subject was made moot by the elephant in the room. If anything AC should have handed this one off to Wolf Blitzer or someone whose very presence wouldn't have been a majopr distraction. Why should the President do anything that AC isn't willing to do? I'm getting quite tired of AC.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jun 2, 2009 9:18:21 AM

7. I guess Obama is just another Clinton - a smooth talker willing to cajole us into the voting booths and drop us as quickly thereafter as he can.
    While I'm glad we have a president willing to say the word "gay" without having it attached to a sentence about a constitutional ban on my civil rights, empty words won't cut it. He'd better step in on these DADT cases and help our military. He'd better put an end to DADT by the end of the year. The press is already turning on him. It won't be long before the people do, too.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 2, 2009 9:29:01 AM

8. Sullivan is as much a political opportunist as DICK cheney: they do their harm, and like prodigals, come back hat in hand when there is nothing left to lose.

once upon a time, The Atlantic was a reputable magazine. too bad that they allowed themselves to be sullied by the likes of the unctuous Sullivan. he is the kind of toad that licks his fingers, sticks them up his ass, licks them again, and sticks them up in the air to see which way the political winds are blowing. i do not have a vendetta against him, but i can smell shit at 30 paces; i can sence his smarminess at 300 yards.

Posted by: nic | Jun 2, 2009 9:40:55 AM

9. I am hopeful that Obama will move on LGBT issues soon. However, I have only recently left the repub party and was very anti-Obama during the election.

While I am hopeful, I am not surprised that Obama has turned his back. He was trying to get elected, period! I have posted in the past that he won on "the backs of gays". Now I am hoping that I was wrong but it doesn't look so.

Posted by: RB | Jun 2, 2009 9:43:25 AM

10. I was never disturbed by Anderson's reluctance to come out until this piece, for some reason. Now I am getting pissed. Closet cases are not helping our cause.

Posted by: freddy | Jun 2, 2009 9:46:32 AM

11. I too wish AC would come out, but I see why he won't. He is a reporter, and he obviously loves being a reporter and knows the he has to report the story, never become the story.

Posted by: secretagentman | Jun 2, 2009 9:52:32 AM

12. Fred's "Surreal" point about A/C is brilliant!

Posted by: declan | Jun 2, 2009 9:58:06 AM

13. I don't understand why the TV talking head's sexual orientation has anything to do with anything. It's none of anyone's business.

But he is right about Obama, who should ask himself this: If Dick Cheney is ahead of me on an important civil rights matter, am I really doing the right thing?

Posted by: jmdrwac | Jun 2, 2009 10:00:38 AM

14. The story isn't about Anderson Cooper. I don't care if Cooper comes out or not. He's a reporter and a reporter's job is to be objective if they are personally gay or not, conservative or liberal, homophobe or otherwise. I don't care who the reporter in any news story is sleeping with. If one can't watch a story Anderson covers on any gay issues without thinking about him, then you have the problem, not him.

Posted by: Patrick | Jun 2, 2009 10:02:51 AM

15. I don't understand why there is so much pressure for ac to come out. this is his business and no one else's.

Posted by: lk | Jun 2, 2009 10:08:51 AM

16. Here's why AC's non-disclosure is relevant:

True, AC's a celebrity and people don't know him "personally." But if he comes out, it may encourage others to as well.

Posted by: Hank Drake | Jun 2, 2009 10:49:57 AM

17. The issue with AC is this; his constant benefiting from Gay stories while hiding in his silk cocoon is just a bit dishonest. If you are raking in the dollars on the gay issues then own it ala Maddow, otherwise , everything you do leaves you open to people being distracted by "the elephant in the room".

Posted by: Derek Washington | Jun 2, 2009 10:52:08 AM

18. because you're Black doesn't make you become the story, because I'm Irish doesn't make me become the story. But if folks can't see us, don't know us, don't hear us as gay people they will never know WHO WE are. If we want our rights..let's get out of the closets and start making ones sexual orientation an non-issue..

Posted by: declan | Jun 2, 2009 11:01:14 AM

19. The story here is Obama's lack of courage or his not giving a damn about us. Not whether you like Sully or AC. Bravo to both of them for this segment.

Posted by: adamblast | Jun 2, 2009 11:27:54 AM

20. Our movement is just sad. Here we have a closeted fag discussing gay equality with a racist, hypocrite (power glutes). Great, no wonder we are not taken seriously.

What's next? Brittany's thoughts on the economy?

Posted by: Davey | Jun 2, 2009 11:40:04 AM

21. I disagree that he's benefiting from the gay stories. And while it's true that his coming out (if he's gay, I've learnt not to judge, so hush) will have a positive impact in many ways, it IS ultimately his choice to do so or not.

Plus, wouldn't you as much as you want, like your news reporters/casters to be as fair and balanced (coughcough) as possible without having to influence with their own personal views?

Posted by: Joel K | Jun 2, 2009 11:40:05 AM

22. "But if folks can't see us, don't know us, don't hear us as gay people they will never know WHO WE are. If we want our rights..let's get out of the closets and start making ones sexual orientation an non-issue..."

I agree with this in general, but if a reporter in particular doesn't feel he wants his personal life to be any part of what should be his non-bias towards a story, I can certainly accept that, for the same reason why reporters shouldn't disclose their political affiliations. With Rachel Maddow, she's more a commentator to me than a reporter in the strictest sense.. as are those on the other side of the political agenda with their shows. With Cooper, he has a past history of doing other work in the entertainment field (host of a reality show), so if he wants to be taken completely seriously as a news reporter I can give him the slack of him completely removing his personal life from his professional career as a reporter. The news business has already well blurred the lines into celebrity as it is.

Posted by: Patrick | Jun 2, 2009 11:55:51 AM

23. Ingrates! Considering that it was primarily Anderson Cooper's righteous anger and his spot-on journalism during the Katrina crisis that finally woke up the national news media to start reporting the truth about the Bush administration, it never ceases to amaze me how petty and trivial some people here get because AC won't stand up and shout "I'M GAY" just because they think he should. I don't begrudge AC one bit. He's gone and reported from places that some of the gym bunnies here wouldn't have the nerve to even think about. Do I care whether AC is gay or not? Hell, no! He's a reporter and maybe he just doesn't think "coming out" is all that big of a deal. I know it IS a big deal to a lot of commentators here. But, geez, ease up, guys! If AC starts to rag on us, then, hell yeah! Get on his case. Otherwise, leave the guy alone and let him live his life and do his job.

Posted by: mike | Jun 2, 2009 11:57:59 AM

24. Anderson Cooper's ratings are terrible, the lowest of any of the major cable shows in his category. So the question is, if he comes out, will anyone notice?

Posted by: GBlad | Jun 2, 2009 12:09:26 PM

25. First of all, his name is CHENEY, the only reason I correct this, is because we share a last name. But what I want to say, is let's not turn on each other. We cannot afford to pick at our own community.

Posted by: Alex | Jun 2, 2009 12:10:36 PM