Bertrand Delanoe | Gay Pride | Liza Minnelli | News | Paris | Stonewall

Liza Minnelli Does Gay Pride in Paris, Remarks on Jackson Death

Liza

Liza Minnelli (pictured with gay Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoe, below) rode a float at Gay Pride in Paris on Saturday:

Minnelli "Hundreds of thousands on Saturday marched through Paris and Berlin in flamboyant Gay Pride parades with US showbiz diva and gay icon Liza Minnelli mesmerising crowds in the French capital. Minnelli, who takes to the stage later Saturday in the French capital, a city which also holds fond memories for the star of her film director father, dazzled with a brief dance routine. 'Freedom,' she cried, dancing on a float festooned with multi-coloured balloons in the gay movement's symbolic rainbow hues."

Video of Liza in Paris, AFTER THE JUMP...

The event falls 40 years after the Stonewall riots, which occurred the week following the death of Minnelli's mother, Judy Garland. At least one Stonewall veteran has claimed that the two events were connected.

Said David Bermudez to the TakeAway: "That night was different because, you see, when we were raided we never fought back. Never ever fought back. And that night I feel that because of Judy Garland's death and all that we just had it. Enough was enough. When the cops started hitting us and harassing us and putting us in paddywagons and all, we just went ahead and fought back, and started hitting back."

Minnelli also talked to CBS' The Early Show about Michael Jackson's death:

"All of us who knew him well really know what he was like. And I'm sure that now the accolades are going, and I'm sure when the autopsy comes, all hell's going to break loose. So, thank God we're celebrating him now. He was just a really splendid man. And a brilliant performer who changed theatrical history. And I will miss him, I cannot tell you."

Video of Liza in Paris, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wow, she's not even being subtle. Basically echoing what Depak Chopra has been saying: Jackson has been a raging drug addict for years.

Some of my best friends have been raging drug addicts, so I don't take this point lightly.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 28, 2009 10:36:51 PM

2. makes sense seeing as the death of judy garland, the stonewall riots and gay pride all fall within the same time.

it's been said that it was garland's death and a depressed population of gay men who'd finally had enough that brought on the stonewall riots.

regardless, it's only right that liza would participate in the 40th anniversary proceedings.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 28, 2009 10:39:58 PM

3. 800 000 persons in Paris saturday, it was great!

Posted by: frenchguy | Jun 29, 2009 12:08:10 AM

4. UMMM Paul R while I don't condone drug use at all. There is a difference between a pain killer and heroine.

And personally FUCK all those idiots doing these interviews and throwing him to the wolves.

FRIEDNS DON'T DO SUCH THINGS!

Posted by: Yes I am Chris | Jun 29, 2009 4:35:41 AM

5. Did she say "50th" Anniversary?

Posted by: GregM | Jun 29, 2009 9:43:22 AM

6. Oh Liza. Stonewall happen only 40 years ago not 50. You would think she know when her Icon Mother died. I guess to many "spoons" @ Studio 54

Posted by: Dairyqueen | Jun 29, 2009 10:18:14 AM

7. christ, she's slammed

Posted by: mo-knower | Jun 29, 2009 5:48:38 PM

8. Actually, Yes I Am Chris, there are substantiated reports that Jackson was using Oxycontin (known as "hillbilly heroin"), morphine, and Demerol. All three are powerful opiates---just like heroin. So, no, not much difference actually except Jackson had a coterie of doctors willing to supply him with the legal drugs...all supposedly because his hair caught fire shooting a Pepsi commercial 25 years ago, which is an unbelievable excuse.

Has it occurred to you that his friends were extremely concerned, are now extremely upset, and hope that by being honest it discourages others from following his lead?

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 29, 2009 7:06:41 PM

9. @Yes I Am Chris and @ Paul R - It's time we stop making glib moral judgments about what is at least a psychiatric condition, and for most addicts is an actual, measurable brain abnormality. Addiction is increasingly being shown to be a medical condition, not a failure of personal character. Take a look at the Addiction Project for more information:

Posted by: wetcnt | Jun 29, 2009 8:02:16 PM

10. @WetCnt, where was I being glib, exactly? I've suffered addiction, I've had tons of friends suffer addiction. I've watched the HBO series. I said, "I don't take this point lightly."

I don't blame Jackson for having an addiction, but he did have resources to deal with it that most addicts don't have. If he was addicted to opiates, he should have gone on Suboxone (which blocks the effects of opiates) and hired doctors trained in treating addiction, not enablers who shot him up with whatever he wanted. He should have hired a dietitian to make sure he was eating properly. And he damn sure should have ridded himself of his leech family members and hangers-on who didn't intervene because he was their meal ticket. The few people who tried to help him were dismissed.

Some people call addiction a slow-motion suicide. I don't think there's any doubt that he was tired of living, and I don't take any pleasure in that. He was anorexic, riddled by anxiety, and unable to think clearly. I would never be glib about that.

Posted by: Paul R | Jun 29, 2009 8:45:12 PM

11. thats not her,.she was feeling sick and the guy from vegas who imidates her filled in

Posted by: Taradash | Jun 30, 2009 9:32:40 AM

12. Demerol is one of several opium derivatives available by prescription. It is a high potency painkiller. When used as prescribed it helps cancer patients and chronic pain sufferers manage their pain. Demerol comes in intravenous solution as well as in oral tablets. The oral tablets do not work particularly well for pain control.
    Mental and physical addiction to Demerol can develop if it is used for long periods of time. Extended use of Demerol can create a tolerance condition where the medication no longer works at the initial dosage.
    When an individual forms an addiction to Demerol they can no longer function without it. Demerol addiction is devastating not only to the individual physically but emotionally as well.

Posted by: Demerol Addiction | May 25, 2011 1:24:54 AM