Japan | Nature | News

Aquatic Zen

Aquarium

This video, shot at the second-largest aquarium in the world, Kuroshio Sea, has released hundreds of thousands of hits on YouTube in just a couple weeks. Hopefully they're doing some important conservation work there. Song is "Please Don't Go" by Barcelona.

Would the world's oceans remain so full of life. Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. this was trippy as balls...

Posted by: adam | Jul 24, 2009 9:45:55 AM

2. Spectacular.

Aquariums just get more spectacular with size.

Posted by: PM | Jul 24, 2009 9:59:52 AM

3. Wow, if you ever doubted the existence of a "higher power" , just watch a ray swim. Talk about flawless design!

Posted by: Dave Johnson | Jul 24, 2009 10:04:43 AM

4. Thanks for posting this, Andy.

Very relaxing. Makes me wish I could go scuba diving again.

Posted by: White Label | Jul 24, 2009 10:35:42 AM

5. OHM, that's just breathtaking. It reminds me of when I went to the Andaman Sea.

Posted by: The Phoenix | Jul 24, 2009 10:48:24 AM

6. Dave, that flawless design is the result of millions of years of natural selection. If there's a higher power, he fucked it up multiple times before he got it right.

Posted by: crispy | Jul 24, 2009 11:07:11 AM

7. why does there have to be a higher power to enjoy nature? it can be just as beautiful and amazing without something ethereal and spiritual creating it. i don't understand.

the sad part about this video is how we are decimating the oceans by pillaging them to feed us fish. there are some great movies out there, Darwin's nightmare, SharkWater, End of Line if you want to learn about how we destroy our oceans.

Posted by: elizyum | Jul 24, 2009 11:58:29 AM

8. Doesn't the huge fish in the upper right corner sort of look like a
    747 or some other jumbo jet?

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jul 24, 2009 12:41:55 PM

9. This just put me in a great place.. so peaceful and beautiful! Lets not muck it up with theological and environmental arguments.. there are other places for that..

Dave: The Ray, IMO, is the most amazing, graceful fish out there!

Posted by: Trace | Jul 24, 2009 1:23:15 PM

10. Beautiful and meditative. But the presence of whale sharks disturbs me. These majestic creatures are much too large to be held in captivity. I remember reading in Australia about this aquarium, and the huge controversy when they captured whale sharks for it. Conservationists were up in arms. There are enough opportunities in nature to see (and swim with) Whale Sharks in their natural ocean (Nigaloo Reef for one). My only hope is that the presence of Whale Sharks in such a beautiful aquarium in Japan will highlight to the Japanese the cruelty and unnecessary whaling trade.

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Jul 24, 2009 1:35:30 PM

11. btw, that's a spelling error above - it's actually NINGALOO reef

Posted by: Lewis Payton | Jul 24, 2009 2:08:07 PM

12. Awesome!

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 24, 2009 5:49:55 PM

13. Stunning. I must see this. And, wow, the music is perfect.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 25, 2009 1:38:45 AM

14. Yes, quite odd that they have a whale shark. I didn't think they lived long in captivity.

I swam with one in Mozambique, it was just incredible. They're so huge!

Posted by: shaun | Jul 25, 2009 12:38:08 PM