Kid Rock: Twitter is ‘Gay’ (And Not in a Good Way)

Kidrock

Kid Rock uses "gay" as a pejorative term when describing Twitter in a new issue of Rolling Stone, according to Page Six.

Says the rapper/singer/songwriter: "It's gay. If one more person asks me if I have a Twitter, I'm going to
tell them, 'Twitter this [bleep], mother[bleep]er.' I don't have anything to say, and what I
have to say is not that relevant. Anything that is relevant, I'm going
to bottle it up and then squeeze it onto a record somewhere."

Comments

1. david in iowa says

Cindy L said it in a song, “your true colors come shining through”. Just another homophobic asshole. And when it hits the fan in a few days, there will be all kinds of backtracking and “so sorry” I’m over it. Kid rock, you hate us and we can’t be bothered by you.

2. jason says

I know this *should* bother me, but knowing how gay friendly he truly is, it’s just a dumb phrase he threw out there. Could he have said something different? Sure, but I don’t think he meant any harm.

3. JohnInManhattan says

“I’m on this mic, but it feels like I been here before
    I want more than the next man
    Respect, plus the cash big checks
    And mack on hoes like Rudy Ray
    Cause the reach around just sounds so gay
    I don’t even swing that way”

OMG, you’re right JASON. He really IS gay friendly! *fart*

4. cmh says

I say we appropriate the concept.. and just start saying that is so fucking straight man.. too straight (meaning narrow, square, unhip, so last millennium) Rude I know but whatever.. my patience and good will has run out the last few years. Something about getting older has made me sick of everyone’s shit. sorry woke up on the wrong side of life today.

5. Josh says

It’s a Jr. High term and he’s an idiot for using it that way. However, I’m friends with his gay cousin and he’s not the least bit homophobic. Moronic yes, Homophobic, no.

6. John says

More “Christian love” from a conservative Republican. Seriously, it is really that surprising the trailer trash musician who did fundraising events for Bush and McCain is also a homophobe?

Isn’t it interesting how the so-called “liberal” media always goes after left-wing celebrities like Martin Sheen, George Clooney, and Barbara Streisand for being too “political.” But right-wingers like this idiot, Britney Spears, Bruce Willis, and Clint Eastwood can do whatever they want.

7. says

8. steve says

Why would anyone pay any attention to anything that Kid Rock says?

I mean, for God’s sake, he slept with Pamela Anderson!!!

Seriously, if sleeping with her is the “ultimate hetero fantasy”, then thank God I’m gay.

9. jno says

If we’re going to get all righteous, ladies, why is ‘douchebag’ an insult to use on KR? Why is saying something ‘sucks’ a pejorative? why do we denigrate him by calling him an ‘asshole’ (I bet a few of you have worshipped a few of those in your day)? Why do you all hate women, your own bodies, and your favorite sexual acts?

10. Kasio says

When has the gay community become so over-sensitive these days? While we complain about little things, of who said what or how gay marriage matters, gay folks are dealing with physical abuse every day. So what if Kid Rock called Twitter gay. In the long run, it has no effect in none of us. It isn’t as if we know the guy.

11. paul c says

This dude is far less homophobic than most of the self-hating gays on Towleroad. Everyone wants to get on their high horse because he called twitter gay? Are you more offended at being associated with the incredibly lame twitter or that he used gay as a pejorative?

As frustrating as it is to hear it all the time, if everyone who uses gay as a putdown is automatically a vile homophobe, we’re in deep shit because that covers about 99% of Americans under 25.

12. soulbrotha says

I know I should feel angry about this, but who are we kidding. Dude couldn’t rub two brain cells together to light a fucking match. And besides, the guy does rap-rock. RAP-ROCK. It’s like if you took everything wrong with both genres and smashed them together into a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup of suck.- Jeremy Feist

I love you Jeremy Feist. Marry me.

13. Billy says

“If everyone who uses gay as a putdown is automatically a vile homophobe, we’re in deep shit because that covers about 99% of Americans under 25.”

Sorry, no. I entered high school in Indiana fully aware of my sexuality, but scared to death I was encountering a homophobic environment. I was always listening and watching and I literally heard the word “gay” used negatively (casually) twice in four years. Teens aren’t as stupid as you think.

14. Bill says

HATER-O-SEXUAL

Then 99% of Americans under 25 are wrong, Paul. Don’t you understand that the heterosexual concensus (being gay is wrong and being heterosexual is right) is why many gay people (who are surrounded by heterosexual-identified people from day one) have a difficult time accepting themselves? Whatever the heterosexual concensus is I do something different because they are always wrong about sexuality. They should keep their social hierarchies, negativity and all the other hatero bs to themselves.

15. crispy says

Bill,
    I am impressed with your analysis. Do you have any published papers or even a book where I can learn more about your exciting work in the field of haterosexuality?

16. Devon says

@johnInManhattan

He actually is gay friendly, and has no problem with people who are gay. Which is evident by the company he keeps, for goodness sacks he is really good friends with Elton John & David Furnish…..

To everyone else, so yeah he shouldn’t have said “gay”, but for anyone to label him a homophobe is ridiculous. People throw the word homophobe around far too much.

@John
    Britney Spears a right-winger…thats funny!

17. Bill says

Anti-gay bigotry is omnipresent. Knowing a gay person does not mean you are gay-friendly. George Bush knew Liz Cheney yet wanted a federal heterosexual-only marriage constitutional amendment. Anti-gay bigotry is a manifestation of heterosexuality.

18. Maverick69 says

I’ve never Twatted, twittered or tweet so I don’t care either way.

Also, this is the guy who’s still riding the same album for the last 3 years?

Guess it’s nice work if you can get it?

19. !!!! says

If none of you care about him why post about it
    Kid Rock has lots of gay friends it was just a phrase no harm in it
    Why do you judge someone you do not know he puts on one hell of a show I would bet money on it it would be the best show you see but you are to chicken shit to see it
    also he has money and you don’t he gives so much to chairties and helps out more than you ever will and pam fucked it up not him
    He is so far from white trash you see what the media wants you to see not what is real and behind what is really there
    When you point one finger at someone you are pointing 3 at your self

20. nic says

@JNO,

“Why do you all hate women, your own bodies, and your favorite sexual acts?”

what the hell are you talking about? calling someone a douche bag does not equal hating women. calling someone an asshole does not equal hating one’s body. otherwise, virtually every straight man would hate his body. btw, straights suck, too; fellatio, cunnilingus, tittie sucking, etc.

those epithets are sexual-identity neutral. anyone can be an asshole or a douchebag, as you should know. but saying something is gay denigrates a specific group. i doubt that this boor would characterize twitter or anything else as being so “asian”, so “black”, or so “latino”. why should people look the other way when he uses “gay” as a descriptive, unless he is using it to refer to someone who actually is.

21. crispy says

Hmm, can’t decide… is it ironic or just plain bizarro that a previous commenter used “!!!!” for his username but neglected to use a single punctuation mark in his entire comment?

I’m leaning toward bizarro. But I do love me some irony.

22. John says

Once you’re born into a white trash, evangelical Christian family, there’s really no escape. I think the Clintons can confirm that (despite their best efforts to reinvent themselves as new ‘Neu Yawkers’). Britney’s one of them. They just don’t want to claim her.

Spears has always been a Republican. Just because she does risque acts for publicity doesn’t mean she’s no longer a Republican.

She did a fundraiser for House Minority Whip Eric Cantor a couple months ago. In a 2003 interview with Tucker Carlson, she stated her support for the War in Iraq. She endorsed George W. Bush quite openly in 2004. She and her “fiance” (Federline) even attended the Republican National Convention that year. Also in attendance were Kelsey Grammer, Dwayne Johnson, Bo Derek, Lee Ann Womack, *KID ROCK*, Dennis Miller, and country stars Brooks & Dunn.

23. Matt says

“I don’t have anything to say, and what I have to say is not that relevant.”

So this begs the question, why is Rolling Stone interviewing him? And I’m not surprised the irony of the situation is lost on him….

24. g_whiz says

He’s right though. This proves he has nothing relevant to say, tweets or otherwise. And its funny how many times I’ve heard people close to someone make excuses for awful behavior. This is patently stupid, not awful, but there’s absolutley no need to let people off the hook for being stupid.

25. The One says

UGH A white homophobe…..I thought we didn’t have any. But I’m glad the gurls are getting in his ass on here.

Kid Rock U stupid MOFO A true trailer trash Rethugfooligan!

26. Julian Tome says

I really don’t get why everyone is flipping their shit. Who the fuck cares WHAT Douche Rock said?

More and more, it seems that gay people are getting up in arms because some moron says something that doesn’t fit in our desires for a happy and perfect world. You know, when I was in school “gay” was being thrown around pejoratively all the time. And you know what? WHO THE FUCK CARED? Surely not me, or the other 2 out students (religious Southern school too).

The term “gay” being used negatively isn’t the issue. Our marriage rights, that’s an actual issue. Asking for “gay” to be removed from negative language is like asking the same thing of “n*gger.” It’s an offensive word, but BIG DEAL: where does freedom of speech stop?

27. says

Twitter is like a breath of fresh air on the Social Media scene. I have been on it for just a few weeks now and I have met several interesting people. It is a platform to network with people you would like to meet in real life.

KZ
    Email Marketing Software

28. stupid pc police says

Where the hell do you people get off??? omg omg omg omg omg omg he said gay!!! He is a homophobe, anti gay, rude ect ect ect. Get off your fucking goody two show high horse. Jesus Christ, if the man wants to use the word “gay” to express his feelings why does every one get so damn angry and outraged? This America god damn it. It is his right to say how he feels. Fucking PC police go jack off with sand paper and wash off with rubbing alcohol. STOP THE ULTRA LIBERAL ASSAULT ON FREEDOM OF SPEACH!!!

29. Steve says

Why does the gay community only expect applause? Straight America hears stories of gerbils and organizations like NAMBLA and gays don’t expect homophobia?

30. Mark says

You know, all though he perhaps shouldn’t of used the term “gay”, you can kinda see where he is coming from. He is constantly being bugged about Twitter, and he clearly doesnt like it. This article also tries to explain, why in practical terms, Twitter is gay.

Obviously, in this occasion, we have to disassociate the term ‘gay’ from being a homosexual, as that is clearly not the content in which it is used.

31. tb says

OMG this site is so gay. how come you gays think that everyone is a homophobe that does not appprove of your rump wrangling ways. I thought “phobia” was a fear of something… we are not “afraid” of you we just think you are perverted thats all