Charlize Theron | Gay Marriage | News

Charlize Theron: I Won't Marry Until Gay People Can Marry

Charlize

Actress Charlize Theron told the ladies of The View yesterday that (like Brad Pitt and Mehcad Brooks), she won't get married until gay people can get married.

Said Theron:

"I don't want to get married because right now the institution of marriage feels very one-sided, and I want to live in a country where we all have equal rights...I have so many friends who are gay and lesbian and would so badly want to get married, and I wouldn't be able to sleep with myself."

Gorgeous inside and out.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm sure Elizabeth's head was spinning around and spewing pee soup.

Posted by: Wayne | Sep 18, 2009 9:13:41 AM

2. Isn't she South African?

Gay people **can** get married where she came from.

Just not here in the "Land of the Free." (TM)

Posted by: John | Sep 18, 2009 10:04:41 AM

3. That's awesome... I get a fuzzy feeling everytime any straight person says they won't get married until gays can. That's a pretty bold commitment to make, and a sign of a real ally.

I did laugh at the phrase, "won't be able to sleep with myself."

Posted by: rafi | Sep 18, 2009 10:40:04 AM

4. She's a GODESS...Truly. She's in the wrong era. GORGEOUS, magnetic, glamorous, classy AND talented movie stars were only made in the Golden era of Hollywood way back when. She is the ONLY iconic Hollywood figure around today. The ONLY one- and I hope the GLBT community supports all her projects like I do for this very reason.

Posted by: Bayley | Sep 18, 2009 10:44:47 AM

5. Did the African-American lady misinterpret Charlize's initial remarks about equality to mean equality within the marriage between female and male people in a couple? Is she so dense that the word "equality" and "marriage" doesn't make her think of
    "marriage equality" for people not like her? SHe needs to get more on top of the news. People, write The View!

Posted by: Melody | Sep 18, 2009 11:12:18 AM

6. Love her! She made a similar comment back when she won her Oscar...before Brad/Angelina and the others!

Posted by: Kurt | Sep 18, 2009 11:33:13 AM

7. she's beautiful

Posted by: steve | Sep 18, 2009 11:54:14 AM

8. i'm REALLY over celebrities making these comments.

their words have absolutely no influence on lawmakers, or the public.

the only impact those words have is for those of us...who already agree...to say "awww...love her".

Posted by: kerry | Sep 18, 2009 1:01:46 PM

9. She's actually been saying this for years, and is one of the first celebrities I know of who declared that she won't participate in marriage until the institution is open to gays. She definitely said this before Pitt and Brooks. She's a trendsetter.

Posted by: Focus | Sep 18, 2009 1:06:47 PM

10. I do agree, but here in the real world, if you decide to biologically have kids with your significant other, you need health insurance-so if you don't have any and he does, then yes, marriage is the only thing to do. Also for any financial dealings, being married makes things much easier. Sad, but true.

Posted by: Me | Sep 18, 2009 1:49:28 PM

11. Kerry, I couldn't disagree more with you,the fact that most gay people are for their right to get married is a given, I think it's much more powerful when hetro people who are famous come out and support us,because usually we only hear the foaming at the mouth repubican trash saying they are protecting hetro marriage. So I give her so much credit and wish many more would be vocal like her and an added bonus is it makes uneducated trash like you squirm and get all flustered.

Posted by: chad | Sep 18, 2009 2:16:08 PM

12. WHO CARES who said it first and who said it second....they can all say the same thing verbatim written by the same speech writer...so long as we have ANY straight person going on a mainstream morning show declaring they refuse to marry their hetrosexual partner out of respect and defiance to the inequalities against gays in this country.

Some of you all are dense...
    comparing which actor said what first. As if we gays have a competition worth a golden star as far as who's on our side first and most....

Gimme a break. We should be thankful and appreciative of all our OUTSPOKEN allies.

Oh! and Sherry Shepard is the dumbest person to EVER get a television gig, hence my boycotting everything she's in. She's a disgrace to humanity. Go get another abortion, skank.

Posted by: Bayley | Sep 18, 2009 2:25:53 PM

13. Thats a dumb thing to say. Gay people live in sin and should be allowed to get married. You can comment on this and yell as much as you want. But thats the way God set it up and thats how its going to be. Thier lifestyle is disgusting and if they dont repent they are going straight to hell. Getting equal rights will be the lst thing on thier mind while tortured in hell.

Posted by: RK | Sep 18, 2009 3:40:09 PM

14. wait. so she's not even going to sleep with herSELF until gays can marry? now THAT'S commitment.

Posted by: westward ho | Sep 18, 2009 3:55:09 PM

15. and why do i give a rats ass what she thinks or if she ever gets married?

Posted by: diane | Sep 18, 2009 5:31:08 PM

16. Charlize is brain washing us!!! She's just saying that so she can get a huge discount on her next hair appointment.

Posted by: Kanye | Sep 18, 2009 8:24:46 PM

17. Just kidding, Charlize. Her hair does look realy, realy good though.

Posted by: Kanye | Sep 18, 2009 8:29:10 PM

18. RK... WHAT are you doing here?

Posted by: Mel | Sep 19, 2009 1:27:38 AM

19. Mel: Trolling, what else?

Posted by: Katja | Sep 19, 2009 4:21:54 PM

20. Oh she's such a fibber. She won't marry Stuart Little cause she's fucking Will Smith.

Posted by: Kay | Sep 19, 2009 11:26:12 PM

21. @Diane Why should we care if you care she gets married? Why ask us if you do? And if you don't care, why are you in this thread? I care because it's a big commitment to make that shows her support for gay people.

Posted by: An | Sep 20, 2009 1:14:45 PM

22. Good for you Charlize Theron, you've proven that you are another self rightious moronic Hollywood elitest idiot.

Guess you'll be single for along time and thats ok with me! I'm sick of you moronic elitest Follywood types trying to destroy middle America with your Marxist doctrines.

If you think a man sticking his dick in the ass of another man is normal,then you are one sick sob!
    But if you want to Monkey Bump with another female or believe it's normal for a man to screw another in the ass, then do it!!!

But don't tell me and 270 million Americans to except this kind of perversion!
    Go back to the shithole South Africa and change that country and leave America alone you dimwitt,moronic,simple minded bafoon of a human being!

Posted by: James | Nov 24, 2009 4:01:28 PM

23. Good for you Charlize Theron, you've proven that you are kool-aid drinker.
    Guess you'll be single for along time and that's ok with me! I'm sick of you moronic elitist Follywood types trying to destroy middle America with your Marxist doctrines.
    But don't tell me and 270 million Americans to except this kind of perversion!
    Go back to the shithole South Africa and change that country and leave America alone you dimwit,moronic,simple minded buffoon of a human being!

Posted by: James | Nov 24, 2009 4:27:10 PM