Boyzone Singer Stephen Gately Found Dead

Gately

Stephen Gately (right), a member of the British boyband Boyzone, has been found dead in a hotel room in Majorca while on vacation. He was 33:

"A close friend said it appeared Stephen died after going out in Majorca, where he was on holiday. 'It looks like he went out for a few drinks, then got back, fell asleep and never woke up,' the pal said. Early this morning Boyzone manager Louis Walsh told us: 'We're all absolutely devastated. I'm in complete shock. I was only with him on Monday at an awards ceremony. We don't know much about what's happened yet.' ...All four remaining members of Boyzone - who recently reunited - will be flying to Palma, Majorca tomorrow. Boyzone star Shane Lynch said: 'Me and the boys are flying out in the morning.  We just need to get over to where he's passed and work out what we need to do.'"

The details behind Gately's death have not emerged. He is survived by Andy Cowles (above, left), whom he married in a civil partnership in 2006. Cowles was featured with Gately in the band's video for "Better" in 2008.

Comments

1. Holy damn. That's sad, and very surprising. Way too young. I feel for Andy. That is sad news indeed. I never really listened to Boyzone, or knew of Stephen Gately, yet I feel sick reading that. My best wishes to his friends and family

Posted by: Chris | Oct 10, 2009 10:42:42 PM

2. My condolences to Andy Cowles and all of Stephen's family and friends. Such a tragedy to lose someone so talented so early in life. His husband must be absolutely devastated. God bless and keep you Stephen.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Oct 10, 2009 10:48:06 PM

3. it's gotta be drugs.

Posted by: bunker | Oct 10, 2009 11:16:33 PM

4. RIP Stephen. Sincerest condolences to all his family and friends.

Andy, minor correction - Andrew Cowles is not in the "Better" video. That was an actor. It was originally planned to have all the spouses in the video but some of the wives didn't want to do it so they went with actors instead.

Posted by: RJ | Oct 10, 2009 11:36:58 PM

5. They're an IRISH band, not a British one, and he's universally love there. This is upsetting news.

Posted by: elcamino | Oct 10, 2009 11:54:44 PM

6. Wow this is upseting, this is very sad. He was so young and talented.

The correction about the video is correct, Andy was not in it.

Posted by: Erick | Oct 11, 2009 12:01:47 AM

7. So sad. He seemed like a sweet and unpretentious young man.

Posted by: Gregus | Oct 11, 2009 12:11:27 AM

8. i just hate this news. they were back and sounding better than ever, thanks in no small part to stephen's singing. he was also an eloquent voice in the UK for equal rights. i had been looking forward to many more years of his and their talent on display.

Posted by: jack | Oct 11, 2009 12:27:13 AM

9. British Boyband!!!???? THEY ARE FUCKING IRISH GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

Posted by: David | Oct 11, 2009 12:33:32 AM

10. Awful news. I never liked the music of Boyzone, except for Ronan Keating's voice, but Gately did an enormous lot of good by coming out, helping along the acceptance and "normalcy" of homosexuality amongst younger people in Ireland, the UK, and Europe overall. And I've never heard anything bad about his personal character. He always looked so cute, but the latest pics I saw of him made him look kind of "rough", beyond just looking more mature. I hope he hadn't started using drugs. I guess we'll see.

Posted by: AnotherNYCguy | Oct 11, 2009 12:50:14 AM

11. Its shocked me to the core to hear of Stephens Passing, Thoughts and prayers with His family and friends.

On a related note i'm glad to see i'm not the only one annoyed with Boyzone being classed British... They are and always will be Irish Only!!!!

Posted by: A Ryan | Oct 11, 2009 2:28:37 AM

12. they are irish!!!!

Posted by: matt | Oct 11, 2009 3:50:27 AM

13. I am very sad about this news.Unfortunately, I have to agree with Bunker above, though I hope not, but it's gotta be drugs. The guy was in perfect shape and he was young. They partied the night before and he 's found dead several hours later. The autopsy will tell us more, but I got little hope that it will be natural cause of death...:-(

Posted by: seb389 | Oct 11, 2009 4:48:34 AM

14. "married in a civil partnership"? is that marriage?

Posted by: rick | Oct 11, 2009 6:27:54 AM

15. yes, it is a marriage. In england, you can marry your partner. If you want to break this marriage, you go through a normal procedure of divorce like Matt Lucas ( Little Britain) did.

Posted by: seb38 | Oct 11, 2009 6:39:26 AM

16. So shocking. He always seemed so nice, honestly can't remember hearing any bad stories about him.

Also, could be some kind of genetic heart problem instead of drugs.

Posted by: Colette | Oct 11, 2009 6:44:51 AM

17. Its so sad, he was the sweetest guy. he will be much missed. oh by the way Boyzone was an IRISH boyband not British, that distinction is fairly important to us Irish!

Posted by: sully | Oct 11, 2009 8:12:40 AM

18. I am sbsolutely stunned and so sad I have tears in my eyes typing this. I loved his music. Here is his wonderful song from the film BILLY ELLIOTT, "I Believe." ..... R.I.P. Stephen

Posted by: john | Oct 11, 2009 8:29:07 AM

19. UK = Great Britain = British

Isn't this the equivalent of someone claiming they are Texan, not American??

Posted by: Mark | Oct 11, 2009 8:49:29 AM

20. )UK = Great Britain = British

Ireland is (an important) part of the UK, but still part of Great Britain, therefore British.)

MArk, go out and buy an Atlas. Ireland is neither a part of the UK nor a part of Great Britain. IT has been an independent country since 1921.
    Boyzone are Irish.
    apart from idiots here not knowing basic world geography, this is shocking and tragic news.

Posted by: Patrick Cooper | Oct 11, 2009 8:54:25 AM

21. My bad, but at least I was polite.

The WORLD has lost a strong voice in Stephen Gately, both musically and politically.

Posted by: Mark | Oct 11, 2009 9:05:20 AM

22. Sad to hear the noews. Boyzone were IRISH NOT BRITISH.

Posted by: Irate Fan | Oct 11, 2009 9:07:51 AM

23. Get over it you idiots. The guy has just died and you are arguing about British and Irish!! And at the end of the day, so what if it was drugs or whatever it was that killed him at the end of the day he is dead. His husband, partner and friends must be absolutely devastated. Stop stop posting crap and have some sympathy. Rest in peace Stephen

Posted by: David | Oct 11, 2009 9:19:30 AM

24. This is sad news indeed. I love Boyzone and the band will not be the same without him.

Now time for a geography lesson....

Britain refers to the island that contains the countries of England, Scotland, and Wales. Untied Kingdom also includes Northern Ireland.

Posted by: knighttowl | Oct 11, 2009 9:24:44 AM

25. I dont like irish people. And their football team is shit.

Posted by: Roger | Oct 11, 2009 9:34:37 AM