Catholic Church | Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | News

BigGayDeal.com

Christian Leaders to Present Anti-Gay, Anti-Abortion 'Manifesto'

A group of 145 Roman Catholic, evangelical, and Orthodox Christian leaders will present a document today at the National Press Club in Washington D.C. today saying they are in solidarity against abortions and same-sex marriage.

The NYT reports: Colson "The manifesto, to be released on Friday at the National Press Club in Washington, is an effort to rejuvenate the political alliance of conservative Catholics and evangelicals that dominated the religious debate during the administration of President George W. Bush. The signers include nine Roman Catholic archbishops and the primate of the Orthodox Church in America. They want to signal to the Obama administration and to Congress that they are still a formidable force that will not compromise on abortion, stem-cell research or gay marriage. They hope to influence current debates over health care reform, the same-sex marriage bill in Washington, D.C., and the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which would prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation."

The document was reportedly written by evangelical Charles Colson, Catholic Princeton professor Robert P. George, and the Rev. Timothy George of Beeson Divinity School in Alabama.

Part of the goal is to reach younger Christians who may have more progressive notions about gays and remind them that the church thinks gays are bad.

The 4,700-word document is called the “Manhattan Declaration: A Call of Christian Conscience," according to the NYT.

Says the document: "We will not comply with any edict that purports to compel our institutions to participate in abortions, embryo-destructive research, assisted suicide and euthanasia, or any other antilife act; nor will we bend to any rule purporting to force us to bless immoral sexual partnerships, treat them as marriages or the equivalent...We pledge to each other, and to our fellow believers, that no power on earth, be it cultural or political, will intimidate us into silence or acquiescence."

Comments

1. The film of Charles Colson's memoir "Born Again" was directed by Irving Rapper. It was the very last work of this great gay Hollywood talent.

And the film he made just before it? "The Christine Jorgensen Story."

Dean Jones starred as Colson in "Born Again." If you should ever run into Dean Jones, ask him about Sondheim.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Nov 20, 2009 9:06:51 AM

2. Dear Catholics and Evangelicals,

Not all Americans are Catholic or Evangelical. If you don't want to have an abortion, then don't. If you don't want to get gay-married, then don't. I won't make you. Likewise, leave me alone and keep your judgements to yourself.

Thanks,
    Everyone else

Posted by: bastian | Nov 20, 2009 9:09:18 AM

3. I'm sure President Obama agrees with them on the gay marriage part.

Posted by: Roscoe | Nov 20, 2009 9:19:25 AM

4. "We pledge to each other, and to our fellow believers, that no power on earth, be it cultural or political, will intimidate us into silence or acquiescence."
    --------------

It amazes me how religious leaders continually attempt to portray themselves as victims when it comes to equal rights for homosexuals -- ss if we're beating down their church doors with torches and pitchforks. It's especially amazing since it is organized religion that tries to exert ITS agenda on the public.

I think it's high time that progressive politicians begin DEMANDING that churches who involve themselves into matters of state have their tax exempt status revoked. If religious organizations want to act like private corporations, let them pay all the property and income taxes regular companies must pay. Furthermore, demand that their workers adhere to federal labor standards and be paid at least minimum wage for every hour. Let that preacher pay sales tax on his brand new Lexus and make them account for any other "church property" being operated for personal use.

Posted by: sparks | Nov 20, 2009 9:21:34 AM

5. Great idea Sparks! I think its time that we do start beating down their church doors with torches and pitchforks. African Americans didn't make progress until they took it to the streets.

Posted by: livingINvirginia | Nov 20, 2009 9:35:20 AM

6. All religions and all faiths are about forcing conformity. They do this by identifying and demonizing the "other" to rally their followers. Anyone who argues that there are "good" Christians/etc. needs to realize that those "good" people cannot (or will not) influence the leaders in their organizations. There is no incentive to do so as all faiths become less relevant -- especially when they provide credibility and organization to bigoted beliefs and behaviour.

I'm tired of giving any faiths the benefit of the doubt - tax them all. And it really pisses me off here in Ontario, Canada, where my taxes go toward paying for Catholic public schools. I resent being forced by the state to support the indoctrination of future bigots.

I'm sorry for going off like this, it's not like me, but I've just had it with being told that how I live and who I love is abhorrent. I've fucking had it.

Posted by: seeldee | Nov 20, 2009 9:37:50 AM

7. Who cares, nothing new and without any substance. Love your comment Bastian!

Posted by: Warren | Nov 20, 2009 9:40:59 AM

8. It's really unbelievable that in this day and age such open and obvious discrimination is still possible. At least racists hide behind their white sheets out of what I'm guessing is some sense of shame for what they are doing. These guys don't have any compunction whatsoever about it. They really are like the KKK leaders and the McCarthyists from 50 years ago who rose to power solely on unadulterated hate.

Posted by: MT | Nov 20, 2009 9:44:12 AM

9. "The signers include nine Roman Catholic archbishops and the primate of the Orthodox Church in America."

Hmmm... isn't a primate a monkey? That explains a lot about those people who worship that child-rapist. And when you pattern your lives and religion after a child molester, you can pretty much excuse even the most heinous, disgusting words and actions.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Nov 20, 2009 9:51:04 AM

10. I'm Jewish and gay (and therefore double-dipped doomed to Hell anyway), but is the "primate of the Orthodox Church in America" anything like the Head Monkey?

Posted by: HW | Nov 20, 2009 9:54:13 AM

11. Ya like this will go far...people are starting to come around to the fact there their nothing more than SNAKE OIL salesmen; TAX the hell outta of them.
    Im so sick of this so called Religious CULTS....makes me wanna vomit. Hi time they get stopped and shown the door.
    To put it in words they would understand "DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YA WERE YOUR GOOD LORD SPLIT YA"

Posted by: xman | Nov 20, 2009 10:03:31 AM

12. I smell fear - or maybe it's just rotting old white guys. Same thing.

Posted by: Jim | Nov 20, 2009 10:10:28 AM

13. It's not that I am anti-Christian, I am just pro-lion.

And their numbers are dropping... why?

Posted by: Rad | Nov 20, 2009 10:12:19 AM

14. What a bunch of cocksuckers.

Posted by: jason | Nov 20, 2009 10:17:47 AM

15. I’m with JIM. These jokers are scared because they know society is evolving and they are losing.

Posted by: ichabod | Nov 20, 2009 10:18:47 AM

16. Well, I hope for philosophical integrity, they also stand up and oppose the rights of women. Per the bible, women are pretty much property, so let's go back to that.

Now, what to do about the slaves...

Posted by: Rebel | Nov 20, 2009 10:25:42 AM

17. How nice to know that they will no longer opppose civil marriage. Or, is it possible that they don't mean what they saY?

Posted by: silverkjk | Nov 20, 2009 10:32:10 AM

18. I know I’ll never make it as a Christian because I can’t be hateful enough to be a Christian.

Posted by: 1♥ | Nov 20, 2009 11:07:18 AM

19. All I have to say is that I pledge that no power on earth, be it cultural, political or religious will intimidate ME into silence or acquiescence.

Posted by: Randy | Nov 20, 2009 11:08:22 AM

20. Dear Archbishops,

Since you have so clearly demonstrated that you would deny us our rights -including the "equivalent" of marriage, civil unions, we have decided that we can no longer tolerate sexual predators and hypocritical gay men among your number.

As such, we are launching our own effort, Expose the Church, which will include a review of every Catholic priest in America.

Have a nice day.

Posted by: Josh G. | Nov 20, 2009 11:36:47 AM

21. Do they agree on anything else? Let's see. Health care? No. Wall St. bailout? No. Wars in the Middle East? No. Divorce? No. The Pope? No. Hmmmmm....

Posted by: anon | Nov 20, 2009 11:46:35 AM

22. Don't you think it would be appropriate BY NOW that the IRS at least acknowledges violations of some of these churches and gives them some kind of warning... I mean WTF?

They're going to keep pushing the line until they're slapped on the hand. I say enough is enough. Slap, slap, slap!

Oops, is that inciting violence?

Posted by: castaway | Nov 20, 2009 2:03:24 PM

23. Drop Your Bibles and step away from the religion.

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | Nov 20, 2009 3:31:55 PM

24. Please accept my apology on behalf of the church. Many of us are grieved that leaders that say they are followers of Christ seem to so misunderstand what it means to be the light of Jesus to those around us. In my opinion, we have no business legislating your behavior. Our job is to love you as Jesus does - just as you are. God wants to mold us all and the first thing we must learn is not to judge. I think you can pick up a Bible and step away from religion for you are hearing the dark voice of religion, not Jesus.

Posted by: David Peters | Nov 25, 2009 8:09:53 PM

25. Jesus rhymes with Cheeses and smells just as bad.

Only a Moron would cling the the propaganda bullshit of 2000 years ago hoisted onto the shoulders of ignorant and illiterate paesents who either converted or were killed by Christ's Swords throughout history.

As I said before, babbling child;

Drop the Bibles and Step away from the Religion.

Your perpetual belief in invisible fairy gods, snake oil and non-sense is killing our brothers and sisters in the LGBT commnuty.

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | Nov 30, 2009 6:53:15 PM