BigGayDeal.com

DNC Emails Maine Voters About NJ Election, Ignores Question 1

NOTE: Political director Corey Johnson and I will be live-blogging election results this evening here on the site. Please join us. Also, please send any interesting election day tips, stories, and photos to tips@towleroad.com.

Maine Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap is predicting a 35 percent turnout today. Make sure to call everyone you know in Maine and tell them to get out and vote "no" on Question 1: "Dunlap says his estimate is based on requests for absentee ballots. He says the number of requests is high for a ballot featuring only referendums, but it doesn't compare to a presidential election. More than 100,000 absentee ballots already have been returned to town clerks' offices, and more than 10,000 are still outstanding. The absentee ballots will be counted after the polls close."

Americablog reports on an email sent to Maine voters yesterday:

"We just received a copy of an email message that OFA sent to Maine voters yesterday asking them to get involved in.... New Jersey! So now we know the rest of the story. This wasn't an issue of OFA not getting involved in politics (they are, after all, an arm of the DNC - that's what they do, politics). They absolutely get involved in state elections, so long as the election isn't about the g-a-y. And actually, even that isn't exactly true. The DNC under Howard Dean donated $25,000 to the battle to defeat Prop 8 in California (albeit a bit late), before Barack Obama became president. Democrats asked Barack Obama's DNC to donate to the Maine effort as well - the DNC ignored the request."

Here are some scenes from yesterday' GOTV rally in Portland. Americablog's Joe Sudbay talked to Michelangelo Signorile from the ground there. You can listen to the audio HERE.

Yesterday, thanks to reuqests by the netroots, the "No on 1" campaign raised $68,000, much more than the $25,000 they were asking for. Let's hope it helps. Jesse Connolly, "No on 1" campaign head, thanks supporters and says the money's going straight to TV and radio, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't think I'll support the DNC again. I'll only support on a candidate by candidate level.

Posted by: KFLO | Nov 3, 2009 12:24:42 PM

2. Fuck the Democrats.

It's too bad that too many of you are too afraid to teach them not to take us for granted.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 3, 2009 12:42:57 PM

3. Don't jump to conclusions, ERIC. I'm with KFLO on this one. I'll only support candidates that support me, Democrat, Republican (not holding my breath), or Independent.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Nov 3, 2009 12:46:06 PM

4. Fuck all politicians! They are only in it for their own greedy viral need to tell others how to live life per their rules.

Per Louis Black: "The Democrats are the party of NO ideas; the Republicans are the party of BAD ideas. "

Posted by: Mike in Brooklyn | Nov 3, 2009 1:22:40 PM

5. Hmmm. I'll go with Jerzeemike on this one. Time to support those candidates, regardless of party, who have OUR best interests at heart. There's something just a little bit annoying that the DNC couldn't mention to Maine voters the importance of Question 1 for America's LGBT people. Sh*t like this happens, and I think, "OK, Barry. What the f*ck is up with you?"

Posted by: mike | Nov 3, 2009 1:50:45 PM

6. In fairness, I live in NYC and I got this same email. It wasn't geared to Mainers, it was geared towards everyone. While I am eating my liver worrying about the outcome in Maine, I have to confess that I can't blame the DNC for prioritizing the governor's race in NJ (which could significantly impact gay marriage in NJ) over the gay marriage issue in Maine. Which doesn't mean I'm still not pissed at the DNC in general and the lack of support that Obama has provided our movement. But this email is not a source of my anger.

Posted by: David | Nov 3, 2009 2:21:22 PM

7. I'm tired fo the DNC ignoring us too; marriage equality is one of the biggest issues around these days.

When the DNC recently sent me one of those surveys on important issues and it didn't include SSM, I called them to complain. After a week of calls and talking to some very ill-informed staffer, I got someone who seemed to be an adult and said they were going to include "Civil Rights" in the next survey. Nothing like code to get your message out!

Call the DNC: 202-863-8000 and tell them we won't donate until we get treated with respect.

Posted by: David R. | Nov 3, 2009 3:09:04 PM

8. This really infuriates me. I can't wait for the DNC to call for more money. I have my speech already memorized. I'm tired of being taken advantage of by my own party. Someone needs to answer for this.

Posted by: Ken Harvey | Nov 3, 2009 5:17:16 PM

9. "I'm tired fo the DNC ignoring us too; marriage equality is one of the biggest issues around these days." Yeah, if you're homosexual or you hate homosexuals. For everyone else it's keeping your job, your house, your car, your health care, and your internet connection - not necessarily in that order.

Posted by: Gary | Nov 3, 2009 6:20:46 PM

10. I respectfully disagree Gary. In terms of the controversial issues in our political culture, SSM is near the top of the discussion.

Posted by: David R. | Nov 3, 2009 6:46:40 PM

11. When will people wake up? The DNC is NOT for our equality!!! Obama has said he's not for our equality. Hillary Clinton said she's not. How many times do they have to tell you: They're not for our equality!! Wake UP!!

Posted by: Cyd | Nov 3, 2009 6:51:31 PM

12. When but oh when will gays realize that neither the DNC nor the RNC want us.Both hate the hell out of us.That includes the Presinet of the USA Barack Hussein Obama.As a christian and as a black he hates us and our civil rights.He lies to us and makes us think he is with us but not really.He lies.Andb that is the truth.Words are easy but actions really mean what one believes and the President actions leave much to be desired.Both Parties want our dollars,and we have more disposable income than most average americans,and that is all they want from us.Lets stop being fools and stop donating until they do our agenda on the books not on words.

Posted by: Oscar in Miami Beach | Nov 4, 2009 11:14:56 PM