Adam Lambert | Censorship | Kiss | News

Double Standard: CBS Early Show Blurs Adam Lambert Gay Kiss, Then Shows Britney-Madonna Kiss Moments Later

Early

That blur you see above in the center of the screen is CBS censoring its rebroadcast of Adam Lambert's gay kiss.

Lambert Lambert ended up on CBS The Early Show this morning because ABC's Good Morning America deemed his performance too racy for early in the morning and canceled it.

Lambert told CBS Early Show's Maggie Rodriguez in an interview before he performed this morning that he understood why ABC was upset about the performance, but he also said that there's a double standard:

"I think that if it had been a female pop performer doing the moves that were on the stage, I don't think there would be nearly as much of an outrage. At all. Like I said, there were other performers doing risque things. I think it's because I'm a gay male, and people haven't seen that before."

And then what did the Early Show do?

They proved Lambert ABSOLUTELY RIGHT by blurring out the AMA footage of his gay kiss, and showing the Madonna - Britney Spears kiss moments later  — while at the same time calling out ABC for editing the AMA footage for the west coast.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Watch CBS News Videos Online

And here's the blur of the male kiss and the reveal of the female one:

Comments

1. OMG! We have so far to go. How on earth is a KISS x-rated? Oh. Because it is between two men. This country is insane.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Nov 25, 2009 11:28:48 AM

2. Outrageous. This certainly explains CBS' paltry LGBT representation.

Posted by: Steven | Nov 25, 2009 11:29:21 AM

3. I still think the kid's a pop tool, but this interview made me respect him TONS. Good for him for pointing out the hypocrisy. And Eminem rapping about 17 rapes under his belt is ok, but Adam Lambert's peck (and seriously folks, it was so quick no one would have noticed if a few people hadn't made a stink about it) is not.

Posted by: Alex | Nov 25, 2009 11:30:01 AM

4. Doesn't really get much better than this.

Posted by: ben | Nov 25, 2009 11:30:54 AM

5. Them choosing to blur that kiss was bizarre. If I had to guess, someone is going to lose their job over it.

I bet we'll get some sort of apology. The double standard is this case was too blatant for even the dimmest of bulbs to miss.

Posted by: Aaron Rowland | Nov 25, 2009 11:32:40 AM

6. For Shame.

Posted by: Daniel | Nov 25, 2009 11:38:56 AM

7. It's a well known fact that seeing two men kiss on television turns children gay. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Posted by: crispy | Nov 25, 2009 11:45:15 AM

8. anyone know who/where we can make our dissatisfaction known to as CBS??

Posted by: jefferson | Nov 25, 2009 11:52:22 AM

9. Of course Adam's right. I wish people would realize that he is NOT dumb. He's young and will learn a lot. I have a lot of respect for him especially when he calls out all the ridiculousness that people want to throw at him.....go Adam!

Posted by: javo | Nov 25, 2009 11:53:37 AM

10. @ JEFFERSON

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Nov 25, 2009 11:56:03 AM

11. Comparing him to Elvis or Madonna? REALLY! I agree about the gender double standard. However, the AMA performance still blew and today he lip-synced on the Early Show! Great PR, but come on people........

Posted by: Milan | Nov 25, 2009 12:01:52 PM

12. Lip sync nothing. He had a backing track because the song was layered.

I hope we get some sort of apology. I was enjoying the interview and coming performance and they sort of took a shit all over it.

Posted by: Em | Nov 25, 2009 12:07:43 PM

13. Unfortunately, Lambert, with his mock fellatio during the routine, gave them the opportunity to be rightfully outraged. He did serious damage.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Nov 25, 2009 12:08:05 PM

14. Disgusting, but not surprising.

Posted by: Eric | Nov 25, 2009 12:08:08 PM

15. Just as happened when ABC cut Lambert after 1,500 complaints, I emailed them yesterday, and CBS this morning. When people speak up, sometimes they listen. I also emailed ESPN and Brian Burke to thank them for the story Andy posted this morning, it's just as important to let them know when they get it right.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 25, 2009 12:08:10 PM

16. LOL he didnt lipsynch! If you heard the album you would now how he sounds a bit different in studio. He was singing live and very well, as always (except for the AMAs).

He is very articulate. The interviewer wanted him to apologize, but he did great, was polite and engaging. The blur is stupid and proves his point.

Posted by: Mila | Nov 25, 2009 12:11:50 PM

17. I wonder if he saw the censored footage when played. He should've pointed it out and walked out.

Posted by: Joel | Nov 25, 2009 12:15:06 PM

18. You can also call CBS at 212-975-4321. I've already called and emailed them.

Posted by: Joseph | Nov 25, 2009 12:20:07 PM

19. I am a singer and I know a live performance when I see it. There was no lip syncing going on.

CBS seems to have forgotten that they have a gay couple on daytime television, and they kiss all the time, so what the hell is the big deal? They could have cautioned their viewers, if they felt the need, and given them the chance to watch it or not, rather than make the decision for them.

Posted by: Bonnie_Half-Elven | Nov 25, 2009 12:35:29 PM

20. Now more than ever we need to support him. This was the first time I felt empowered watching a gay artist on national tv NOT APOLOGIZE... he gave his reasons (all of which are incredibly valid: "it is not my responsibility to babysit"... right down to the comparison with the fact Eminem braged about 8 rapes under his belt... The interviewer was trying to get him to apologize for foisting this "lifestyle" on the "poor children" and he didn't go with it. He stood his ground, was eloquent and confident. Too often us 'mos in the mainstream are seen as being too apologetic with our tails between our legs running back into conformity when the straights don't like what we're doing. Adam has been lucky enough to get to a place really quickly where he wasn't scolded or reprimanded for being who he was, let's hope events like this don't end up doing that too him. The last thing we need is someone like this to stop believing in who he is.

Posted by: GoodForHim | Nov 25, 2009 12:50:32 PM

21. Personally I am not a fan of Adam, but the boy has guts! Good for him for not apologizing. The interviewer tried so hard to get him to apologize. If parents want to get bent out of shape about this, they should start being parents and control what the kids can watch. This is no different than the Madonna/Brit/Christina kiss. But that's okay because it appeals to straight men.

Posted by: Lauren | Nov 25, 2009 12:54:27 PM

22. No offense, but I'm a singer too. Take another look at the first song. He lip-synced!

Posted by: Milan | Nov 25, 2009 12:55:34 PM

23. adam is A gay man.
    Madonna, Britney and Christina is a well-known heterosexual female..
    it wasn't the gender biased..it was a sexual biased.
    the same reason why adam never won the american idol...it's all back to his sexual preferences..
    gay is still a taboo..no matter how much we tried to deny it...

Posted by: thedark | Nov 25, 2009 1:01:44 PM

24. Do you think you owe an apology to the "children?" No, because I'm not a babysitter.

Fucking BRILLIANT!

Posted by: Keit | Nov 25, 2009 1:02:26 PM

25. Can we also use this interview as proof that Adam Lambert is not trying to downplay his sexuality in order to further his career? Enhance, maybe. But not downplay.

Posted by: Andy F | Nov 25, 2009 1:15:12 PM