BigGayDeal.com

Ed Westwick at Forefront of Hairy Male Cleavage Comeback

Edw

The Wall Street Journal reports on the return of "heavage", hairy male cleavage revealed by the plunging neckline of an unbuttoned shirt, and offers credit to Ed Westwick, Mehcad Brooks, and Jude Law, who aren't shy about showing it off:

"The last time man cleavage was so prevalent in the U.S. was in the 1970s -- 'the golden age of male chest hair,' says Mr. Bryan. Epitomized by John Travolta in 1977's 'Saturday Night Fever,' the convention back then was to skip enough shirt buttons to show off a thick forest of hair, perhaps topped with a gold medallion as a sign of virility...The latest resurrection of man cleavage does raise a not-so insignificant issue: to wax or not? For a number of years, any male chest hair was considered a fashion don't, but very recently a thin thatch has become quite acceptable. The low-cut look 'is better if you have a little chest hair,' says Tyler Thoreson, a New York-based men's style consultant. 'It's not about showing off chest hair, it's about it peeking out a little bit.'"

Comments

1. No offense, Andy, but boys in Brooklyn have been rocking this look for the last five years. It's funny wen a celebutard does something and is literally handed all the credit.

Posted by: MB | Dec 8, 2009 11:19:58 AM

2. Like they say in Italy.....NO ME PIACE!!!! I really really DON'T LIKE IT!

Posted by: fabrizio | Dec 8, 2009 11:27:45 AM

3. well at least the hair-phobic shaved & plucked look that has held the mainstream concept of male attractiveness hostage for the last 20 years is finally dissipating

Posted by: steve | Dec 8, 2009 11:28:44 AM

4. Chest hair is natural. Shaving it makes you a pussy

Posted by: ty | Dec 8, 2009 11:33:48 AM

5. Maybe I'm crazy but I think that's the first picture I've seen of this guy where he actually looks good. I, for one, am happy for the comeback of a nice, hairy manly chest.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Dec 8, 2009 11:36:56 AM

6. Nope. It's not coming back. Trust me.

Posted by: KFLO | Dec 8, 2009 11:44:14 AM

7. I'd rather a date a real man with chest hair than a man who wants to look like he hasn't even hit puberty yet...

Posted by: DR | Dec 8, 2009 11:47:04 AM

8. In my eyes, chest/facial hair never went out of style.

and I am unanimous in this!

Posted by: Kyle | Dec 8, 2009 11:47:58 AM

9. men are meant to be hairy. women are smooth. i have HATED this smoothed, waxed, feminized look for men that has been so popular for way too long. bring back the natural man, with hair on his body. the most beautiful man on earth loses his sex appeal when he removes his body hair.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 8, 2009 11:57:46 AM

10. Agree with the other posters--- it's nice to see the "real man" look come back and the "smooth pre-pubescent" look go away. It was icky and creepy and should never have been so prevalent in gay society as it was.

Posted by: Rob | Dec 8, 2009 11:59:54 AM

11. Mmmmm.....chest hair....mmmm....hairy forearms....mmmmmm.....hairy legs...mmmm...body hair. /drooling ala Homer Simpson

Posted by: Henry Holland | Dec 8, 2009 12:09:35 PM

12. Pectoral implants? I better not EVER feel those on a partner. And THIS is a Wall Street Journal story? WTF

Posted by: Rami | Dec 8, 2009 12:14:48 PM

13. both can exist simultaneously, but i find it SUCH a turnoff to take off a guy's shirt and see prickly, shaved / waxed hairs. if you're naturally smooth, i'll go for that, but this over-primped look is not for me. gay hipsters in brooklyn / LES have been doing this for years. (i know - you should see my collection of low v-necks and how hot i am in them.) living in europe now, they're even better about it.

Posted by: YUROP | Dec 8, 2009 12:16:14 PM

14. Chest hair has been popular again in certain NYC circles for a few years now. It's one of the things I go absolutely crazy for. Especially when it's peeking out of an open shirt.

I wish my chest were hairier, but I make up for it elsewhere :)

Posted by: Alex | Dec 8, 2009 12:24:39 PM

15. Chest hair and any body hair for that matter is sexy. Yum!

Posted by: Joe | Dec 8, 2009 12:33:35 PM

16. Well for those of us NOT in New York, but here in the fabulous Midwest, this has been in style for a while now. I think the gays in the middle of the country have finally been the first in style for once :)

Posted by: Mike | Dec 8, 2009 12:43:35 PM

17. I'm really glad I read the comment section on this story today. I was really very remiss that my formative coming out years coincided with the waxed trend, which never appealed to me at all.

Posted by: MackMichael | Dec 8, 2009 12:53:14 PM

18. Chest hair is fucking hot, but "heavage?" Yargh. Is the WSJ hiring Trixies to write now?

Posted by: Rodolfo | Dec 8, 2009 12:53:19 PM

19. Am I the only one who thinks Ed Westwick looks like one of the Gieco Cavemen?

Posted by: Scott | Dec 8, 2009 1:58:59 PM

20. If you're shaving your chest hair or waxing it or any part of your body for a "trend" do us all a favor and shoot yourself now!

I have no problem with naturally smooth men, but men that shave chest hair or wax it, just makes me think you're a wanna be.

I love my chest full of hair and I've been showing it off since the 80's and will NEVER stop no matter what "trend" comes along.

Posted by: Bobby | Dec 8, 2009 2:29:38 PM

21. @ Bobby

It's all about choice dude, be fair.

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 8, 2009 3:09:45 PM

22. Cool. Now if those of us with some finely scaped chest folicles can steal back the "bear" tag from the Carnie's of the (hair) club, we have made progress.

Posted by: OneCharmingBastard | Dec 8, 2009 3:37:42 PM

23. Chest waxing = Dumbest fad ever.

Posted by: I like men | Dec 8, 2009 4:55:49 PM

24. MONTRÉAL STRONGLY SUPPORTS THIS MOVEMENT.

FOR PROOF, COME VISIT.

Posted by: Daniel Baylis | Dec 8, 2009 6:02:21 PM

25. Yes Yes Yes.
    If you've got it, flaunt it, please!

Posted by: Kevinvt | Dec 8, 2009 6:18:59 PM