New York Marriage Equality Bill Defeated 38-24: Updated with Full Roll Call Vote

UPDATED: Full roll call vote, AFTER THE JUMP...

FINAL VOTE: The marriage equality bill was defeated 38-24, falling 8 votes short of a majority. A sad day. Marriage equality will come however. Stay strong. As Senator Perkins said, "It is inevitable."

And now the cards are on the table.

Earlier liveblogging and quotes from the debate below...

Here we go again (refresh for updates).

Ny The New York Senate is expected to take up the marriage equality bill at some point today, following consideration and vote on a deficit reduction plan (DRP). The Assembly passed the DRP and the marriage equality bill (again) late last night (more on that here).

Debate begins--- apologies if some of these quotes are note word-for-word accurate but this is on the fly...

- Sen. Diaz Sr. - Marriage equality vote is "treason."
- Sen. Schneiderman: "You cannot legislate morality, but you can legislate justice."
- Sen. Adams: "I have never been more nervous than I am today." Read off names of states that sold Blacks into slavery: "Because a numerical majority is in one place. It does not mean they are in the right place." ... "You don't have to be gay to respect the rights of those who are."
- Sen. Klein: "We owe it to the entire gay community around New York to pass this legislation."
- Sen. Valesky: "That question for me gets to something that many of the speakers before me have indicated, that this is not a matter of religion. More importantly than that, it can't be a matter of religion."
- Sen. Parker: "We have an opportunity today to change our history. This is the time we strike a blow to one of the last inequalities...in our country."
- Sen. Espada tries to convince undecideds to vote YES: "If this vote were taken in my district today, same-sex marriage would fail...As it relates to today, undecided senators - let's write this headline for my 10th grandchild whose sonogram was sent to me yesterday - let's send a message of hope. Let's set forth a drumbeat of equal rights for all and let's not continue to be scared into ignorance."
- Sen. Savino: "I know many people are concerned about the destruction of the sanctity of marriage. What are we protecting when you look at the divorce rate in our society?"
- Sen. Krueger: "Some people think it's a hard vote. Why is it not hard for me? Because I'm a woman. And a Jew. And I know about discrimination. I don't understand how anyone can vote no."
- Sen. Montgomery: "I will only add that in my family, in my culture especially as it relates to my religion - I just want to remind my colleagues that it was considered if you were living together and not officially married, and this was in the olden days, that you were living in sin. So for those of you who wonder why we should support people being able to marry, we do not want them living in sin."
- Sen. Serrano: "History once again will prove this civil rights movement to be right and correct. No one should be subjugated to less rights than anyone else."
- Sen.Hassell-Thompson: "My oldest brother was gay. This is publicly, for the first time in my life that I've said that...I do know that because of his status those things he was supposed to be entitled to as a married couple he was not entitled to...This bill is about giving people the right to make the choice themselves..."
- Sen. Johnson: "Why not a civil union? That creates a separate but equal system. And it doesn't work. I think there's a time for us as a body to shine."
- Sen. Perkins: "More than half the people in this room would not be here at another point in time. Many of us have had the privilege of these movements which have made a difference. Get ready. Marriage equality is here. And it is inevitable."
- Sen. Oppenheimer:"Some people have said to me it diminishes their marriage. I don't understand that. Why would it diminish my marriage???"
- Sen. Stavinsky: "I can't stand here and oppose discrimination against Blacks, Jews, women, and  condone discrimination against gay people."
- Sen. Smith: "What's wrong is not knowing what the Bible says and retreating to it. The Bible does not say that same-sex marriage is wrong. The Bible talks about individuals and their understanding for each other. What's wrong is when you use the Bible for your own purposes. Please don't quote the Bible or refer to it if you are not clear what it really means...I believe that this is the day history is going to record that the NY Senate stood up and did what's right."
- Sen. Duane - marriage bill's lead sponsor: "I do not give up. I do not know how to. There's sort of a paradox about this. The time is never right for civil rights. The economy, wars. The troubles we've had here in the senate. It's never ever the right time. But the paradox is, it's always the time to be on the right side of history."

Tom Duane is stalling while the GOP Senators who aren't in the chamber are being strong-armed.

Debate is closed. Voting underway.

Watch the live Senate feed below: FLOOR CLOSED.

FULL ROLL CALL VOTE, AFTER THE JUMP...

FULL ROLL CALL

• Andrea Stewart-Cousins (D) — YES
  • Antoine Thompson (D) — YES
  • David Valesky (D) — YES
  • Dale Volker (R) — NO
  • George Winner (R) — NO
  • Catherine Young (R) — NO

Comments

1. I am nervous ... But after Maine and Cali I can't get my hopes up too high. DC and NY will hopefully make the right choice

Posted by: KFLO | Dec 2, 2009 1:01:04 PM

2. Senator Adams brought me to tears. I just wrote him an e-mail to say thank you. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: Nick | Dec 2, 2009 1:05:37 PM

3. I (heart) Senator Savino.

Posted by: markl | Dec 2, 2009 1:25:26 PM

4. I hope that it passes.

Posted by: Jerry stults | Dec 2, 2009 1:57:29 PM

5. Sen Ruth Hassell Thomas made me cry like a baby! Wow what an amazing, brave speech.

Posted by: Jack A | Dec 2, 2009 2:01:34 PM

6. The comments happening as I write this from the Latinos and Blacks going against many of their constituencies to vote Yes, the Jews relating homophobia to anti-Semitism, the woman of color who spoke, obviously so painfully, publicly of the first time of her oldest brother who took himself into exile to France after being rejected by his father and his country, acknowledging that her own sister who has taken over the family tradition of women ministers will disagree with her vote Yes.....in my heart I kneel down to them.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Dec 2, 2009 2:02:43 PM

7. You skipped the awesome Sen. Daniel Squadron!

For the record, he's helped lead the way for full marriage equality, winning his seat on that platform.

Posted by: Feral | Dec 2, 2009 2:02:43 PM

8. Is anyone keeping track of the positions expressed in the speeches? Has anyone who is previously undecided expressed a position?

Posted by: PistolPetey | Dec 2, 2009 2:03:50 PM

9. Daniel Squadron is my senator and he's been pretty vocally supportive of Marriage Equality. I love him so.

Posted by: Alex | Dec 2, 2009 2:10:14 PM

10. Feral: 2 undecideds (as of June) have said yes. But all we're hearing from so far are Democrats, so al of them except for a maximum of 5 is expected to vote yes. Anything less than 4 or 5 voting no is GOOD. Then come the Republicans. Since there are 32 Dems and 32 votes are needed, 1 no Dem (Diaz) = we need at least 2 Republicans to cross over. The problem is, if we get 4, let's say, Dems saying no, we'd then need 5 Republicans who were previously voting no or saying they were decided to say yes. It's going to be INSANELY tense once we end the Dems and begin the Republicans. If this passes, it will be BARELY. So exciting & scary...

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Dec 2, 2009 2:13:20 PM

11. NYT also has a good liveblog going:

Posted by: Jack | Dec 2, 2009 2:14:02 PM

12. I got chills as I read their comments. Here's to the right vote!

Posted by: Jeff in NC | Dec 2, 2009 2:16:52 PM

13. Hasn't Sen Diaz ever heard of the separation of church and state?

Posted by: Paul | Dec 2, 2009 2:19:41 PM

14. Thomas Duane needs to get to the f**king point. JESUS! He went on for almost 5 minutes just talking about how he's thankful, overwhelmed, and considers everyone's office a "tissue zone" or some such. AND WHY THE DRAMATIC PAUSES? Gah! It undoes all the eloquent work Malcolm Smith did. AAAAAARGH!!

Posted by: annoyed | Dec 2, 2009 2:24:37 PM

15. @ANNOYED

Agreed. His speech is the worst so far.

Posted by: DD | Dec 2, 2009 2:26:12 PM

16. Come on Tom Duane! This is the worst speech yet!

Posted by: WPM | Dec 2, 2009 2:27:44 PM

17. Jesus, what is wrong with Thomas Duane? Is he stalling?

Posted by: Eloquence please | Dec 2, 2009 2:27:54 PM

18. This may be heresy but Duane is speaking now and he is the WEAKEST so far...the nongays were more convincing than him...if anything he's undercutting empathy...I'm gay and he's turning me off. Christ, stop whining and talking about YOURSELF in ways that are totally irrelevant to the issue [how pretty the trees are in Fall?????] and sit down and shut up. Jeez!

Posted by: WhatThe | Dec 2, 2009 2:30:07 PM

19. This guy is killing me--his flippant, not-that-funny comedy stylings have completely SUCKED all the the momentum and drama out of the room. Painful.

Posted by: Jack A | Dec 2, 2009 2:31:20 PM

20. There were so many moving, tear-jerking speeches, and then Duane finishes with this flamboyant, faux-dramatic mincing?

Posted by: Axy | Dec 2, 2009 2:31:23 PM

21. I disagree, I love the way Duane speaks. It's different, gets the attention of people who are forced to listen to hours of talking. His long pauses, crying, and screaming at times...all refreshing.

Posted by: Thomas | Dec 2, 2009 2:32:49 PM

22. Seriously, how much time does he have? Someone needs to escort him offstage. He's like a drunk accepting an award... which would be all well and good if this all was a done deal. But it isn't. There's no award for him to acting like such a diva about. I mean, OH MY GOD: "the moss grows on the north side of the trees." WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? I mean, honestly, it's kind of comic and I'd be laughing it up if not for the fact that my life and future was invested in what's going on there.

Posted by: annoyed | Dec 2, 2009 2:33:46 PM

23. My money is on the stalling theory.

Posted by: BobN | Dec 2, 2009 2:34:00 PM

24. does anyone know of a live audio feed for this debate? Thanks!

Posted by: unterberg | Dec 2, 2009 2:35:38 PM

25. He's stalling. They are one vote short.

Posted by: Brian | Dec 2, 2009 2:35:51 PM