New York Marriage Equality Bill Defeated 38-24: Updated with Full Roll Call Vote

FULL ROLL CALL

• Andrea Stewart-Cousins (D) — YES
  • Antoine Thompson (D) — YES
  • David Valesky (D) — YES
  • Dale Volker (R) — NO
  • George Winner (R) — NO
  • Catherine Young (R) — NO

Comments

1. KFLO says

I am nervous … But after Maine and Cali I can’t get my hopes up too high. DC and NY will hopefully make the right choice

2. Nick says

Senator Adams brought me to tears. I just wrote him an e-mail to say thank you. Fingers crossed.

3. Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com says

The comments happening as I write this from the Latinos and Blacks going against many of their constituencies to vote Yes, the Jews relating homophobia to anti-Semitism, the woman of color who spoke, obviously so painfully, publicly of the first time of her oldest brother who took himself into exile to France after being rejected by his father and his country, acknowledging that her own sister who has taken over the family tradition of women ministers will disagree with her vote Yes…..in my heart I kneel down to them.

4. Feral says

You skipped the awesome Sen. Daniel Squadron!

For the record, he’s helped lead the way for full marriage equality, winning his seat on that platform.

5. PistolPetey says

Is anyone keeping track of the positions expressed in the speeches? Has anyone who is previously undecided expressed a position?

6. says

Feral: 2 undecideds (as of June) have said yes. But all we’re hearing from so far are Democrats, so al of them except for a maximum of 5 is expected to vote yes. Anything less than 4 or 5 voting no is GOOD. Then come the Republicans. Since there are 32 Dems and 32 votes are needed, 1 no Dem (Diaz) = we need at least 2 Republicans to cross over. The problem is, if we get 4, let’s say, Dems saying no, we’d then need 5 Republicans who were previously voting no or saying they were decided to say yes. It’s going to be INSANELY tense once we end the Dems and begin the Republicans. If this passes, it will be BARELY. So exciting & scary…

7. annoyed says

Thomas Duane needs to get to the f**king point. JESUS! He went on for almost 5 minutes just talking about how he’s thankful, overwhelmed, and considers everyone’s office a “tissue zone” or some such. AND WHY THE DRAMATIC PAUSES? Gah! It undoes all the eloquent work Malcolm Smith did. AAAAAARGH!!

8. WhatThe says

This may be heresy but Duane is speaking now and he is the WEAKEST so far…the nongays were more convincing than him…if anything he’s undercutting empathy…I’m gay and he’s turning me off. Christ, stop whining and talking about YOURSELF in ways that are totally irrelevant to the issue [how pretty the trees are in Fall?????] and sit down and shut up. Jeez!

9. Jack A says

This guy is killing me–his flippant, not-that-funny comedy stylings have completely SUCKED all the the momentum and drama out of the room. Painful.

10. Axy says

There were so many moving, tear-jerking speeches, and then Duane finishes with this flamboyant, faux-dramatic mincing?

11. says

I disagree, I love the way Duane speaks. It’s different, gets the attention of people who are forced to listen to hours of talking. His long pauses, crying, and screaming at times…all refreshing.

12. annoyed says

Seriously, how much time does he have? Someone needs to escort him offstage. He’s like a drunk accepting an award… which would be all well and good if this all was a done deal. But it isn’t. There’s no award for him to acting like such a diva about. I mean, OH MY GOD: “the moss grows on the north side of the trees.” WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? I mean, honestly, it’s kind of comic and I’d be laughing it up if not for the fact that my life and future was invested in what’s going on there.

13. TroubleTown says

OMG. I sending these mental thoughts to Tom Duane right now: “please stop talking, please stop talking, please stop talking”. I appreciate all his hard work and dedication to the cause but this is excruciating: ramble, ramble, ramble, drama, drama, drama.

All he needs to do is stand up and say colleagues: “I am the same as you. Please recognize that today. Thank you.”

14. annoyed says

Eric Adams is awesome! Hah! “Think of when you looked in the eyes of your mate, your wife, your husband, and knew you loved them… no matter what you think of them now.”

HAHAHAHA!

15. ichabod says

What a sad, sad day. I’m especially struck how those that voted “no” didn’t even have the guts to speak, they just hid behind their podiums. How they could not be moved by the eloquence of those who did speak (and would choose to stick with Diaz –who was ANYTHING but articulate) is beyond me.

Well, we’ll just have to try it again next term. And vote out the f*ckers who voted against our civil rights.

16. David says

Huge disappointment. How could we lose by such a large margin. Obviously a lot more work needds to be done.

17. Gregoire says

Why did they even try? It wasn’t even close. Just another victory for the religious right.

18. Bill says

David Paterson needs to exit the Governor’s Mansion, he is incapable of leading, and all gay people need to vote out the Senators who voted against gay couples’ legal right to marriage.

19. OutofHere says

I’m done.

I’m sick of waiting and I have the chance to move abroad to a country that respects my rights.

Fuck this country and the fuckin’ god freaks that run the place.

Yes, I am bitter.

20. Cody in Chitown says

Seriously, NY I’mma let you finish, but Iowa has the best civil rights record of ALL TIME.

21. Tyler says

That was by a much bigger margin than I think any of us were predicting. At least now we have on record where people stand.

22. mike128 says

I’m sad we didn’t get the votes this time – but incredibly moved by the beautiful statements of support from our allies. Let’s get active to make marriage equality in New York a reality.

23. says

IT’S OFFICIAL FOLKS: Angry about the NY Marriage Equality vote…..TIMES SQUARE, 6PM TONIGHT, TKTS STAIRS….spread it!!!!!!!!!!

24. JimSur212 says

The situation is not as bad as it appears. There were other votes of Senators that would have been with us if the bill had a chance of passing, but they come from more conservative districts and they were not going to go vote for supporting gay marriage just to go on the record to make a statement. Political courage is easier to come by if you are the vote putting civil rights over the top. Even though we lost by 8 votes, I am told by friends in Albany that our true shortfall is about 3.

25. says

May God who mercy on the leaders who have failed to act with justice, and may the voters show them the door.

I have written a 150-word speech that I would have given were I a NY Senator on my blog. What speech would you have given?

26. Cynthia says

I’m a native New Yorker and my Fiance is from Canada. I would have liked to get married in New York State, so it would be easier for my family & friends to attend the ceremony. After watching most of the senate voting against my right to marry, it only makes more sense that Canada should be my new home. This is a very sad day for LGBT New Yorkers right now.

27. Jon B says

Okay, so now that we know who voted against us, we need to get them out of office, especially the Democrats. We need to spend big on getting them out of office.

28. says

We will never win a vote with bigots in power. We are the last “minority” it’s safe to hate.

Reason means nothing. Truth means nothing. Compassion means nothing.

This is all about Power.

29. johnosahon says

“gay leaders” GO TO PLAN B –> Civil Unions, that has a better chance of passing.

It has been proven over and over again that america is not ready for gay marriage. these people need to DIE OFF, so as we all wait for them to DIE, let us get our rights with the “everything but the marriage name” like UK.

30. Dave says

Well, I suspect that there will be a dearth of donations from LGBT voters and their allies for Republican candidates in 2010, since all of them voted No. Likewise for the Democrats who voted with them:

Addabbo (Queens)
    Aubertine (Watertown, Oswego, Ogdensburg)
    Diaz (Bronx)
    Huntley (Queens)
    Kruger (Brooklyn)
    Monserrate (Queens)
    Onorato (Queens)
    Stachowski (SE Buffalo suburbs)

31. Bruno says

Let’s get Dede Scozzafava to run for state senate in her district and get rid of Aubertine. That would get us one of the votes back, from a Republican :)

32. PJ says

This bill would have passed in June. There were more than enough votes. The “advocacy” group (I’m looking at you, ESPA) that made a public stink about bringing the bill to a vote now is the one we ought to be enraged at.

After what happened to Dede Scozzafava, no Republican senator was going to vote for Marriage. Neither was any marginal/conservative Democrat. ESPA knew it and so did everyone else in Albany. Votes don’t occur in a political vacuum. Forcing a floor vote now, with the bill’s failure a foregone conclusion, wasn’t just cynical–It was a sickening, unconscionable betrayal of us and the rights that Tom Duane, his co-sponsors, and those of doing on-the-ground organizing have been working for so long and so hard.

ESPA has gone from being an irrelevant white men’s club to being an institutional threat to our civil rights. It’s long past time for them to be held accountable. Call them, and tell all of your friends and family to do the same ((212) 627-0305; (518) 472-3330). Demand the immediate firing of their Executive Director, Alan Van Cappelle. A man who’s willing to sacrifice our rights so that he still has an issue to keep him relevant is someone we can’t afford to have “fighting for us.” Advocates like this make Ruben Diaz seem like a benign distraction. This isn’t a game, and that’s how ESPA’s treated it. It’s outrageous. Call, call, and keep calling until we see results.

33. Patric says

While Governor Paterson has actually worked tirelessly on this issue on our behalf, Bloomberg is all about photo ops and press conferences and empty promises. Most recently, he conveniently indicated that his efforts to persuade Republican senators would take place after the election (and after all thoise gullable gays had already given him their votes). He’s given millions to anti-gay Republican state senators over the years and has done NOTHING for the cause of marriage equality other than to appear at every possible press conference and photo op in order to assist his own re-election efforts.

“riting in the Village Voice, Wayne Barrett cited reporting in Newsday that pointed out that the “bulk” of a separate $1.2 million contribution the mayor made last year to the New York State Independence Party was used to support four Senate candidates, including Padavan and two other gay marriage opponents who went down to defeat. Shams Tarek, the campaign spokesman last fall for pro-marriage equality Democrat James F. Gennaro, who came within a whisker of unseating Padavan, told Barrett that Bloomberg’s support for Padavan was the key factor that allowed the incumbent to survive.”

34. golandfolre says

This was a big loss – it was not even close. Tom Duane can’t count that well I guess. Bad tactics on the part of the GLBT leadership…

35. CKNJ says

I’ve said it before, and I will say it again, and I don’t care HOW many trolls out there flame me: FUCK REPUBLICANS, FUCK REPUBLICANS, FUCK REPUBLICANS, FUCK REPUBLICANS, FUCK REPUBLICANS! They, along with that evil shitface traitor to us all, Diaz, are a blight on society!

Diaz should be thrown out of office because of his conflict of interest. He has long ignored and railed against separation of church and state. Well, here’s a new cause that’s needed since he does not understand that: Separation of Diaz from his office!

36. says

“Are we moving backwards or are we dancing?” I am still on the fence as to how we are handling the Marriage issue. I have always believed that Ivana Trump said it best when she stated,.. “Don’t get mad. get everything”

We gay people have been going about this the wrong way. Straight people will NEVER accept gay marriage,.. so what do we do? I’ll tell you. I have a plan that will bust the doors of Marriage wide open. We win! Go to my site and learn. Spread the word. http://www.dear tommy.com

37. robert says

I’m disgusted right now! I’ve decided that I wont be attending any weddings from now on until I can legally marry my partner of twenty years! I refuse to celebrate the straight marriage when I’m denied the same right! Fuck you all!

38. robert says

We need to go to the courts! Take this fight to the courts! We can’t expect our elected officials to do the right thing because they look to see which way the wind blows and then they vote. The courts will have to decide. Clearly, it is unconstitutional to deny a fundamental
    right like marriage simply because both partners are the same sex.

39. says

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE GUTLESS
    CNN reports that the Marist College poll released the same day as Senate vote finds that a majority of New Yorkers support marriage equality at 51-42%. It is quite ironic that their representatives left their spines at home the day of the vote. They chose to vote NO contrary to their supposed democratic ideals, regardless of fairness for their constituents, and in defiance of colleagues. What can they be afraid of if they are not fearful of re-election? Their ‘no’ votes will not please constituents, given the polls. Could it be a concomitant of their respective personal beliefs – anti-gay; anti-equality; church bonded, some bog donor dangling some big carrot? I suggest that all the 51 % pro same-sex marriage supporters censure this disdainful crew, through the withdrawal of all support, to the point of bye-bye political careers. Instead of assisting to make history in the interests of equality this group of schmendricks are now ensconced in the RAINBOW HALL OF SHAME