Advertising | Giorgio Armani | News

BigGayDeal.com

AFA Moms Group Protests 'Predatory' A/X Campaign Featuring 'Scantily Dressed' Gay and Straight Couples

Ax

A group called One Million Moms (which is a project of the American Family Association), is protesting a Valentine's Day campaign by Armani Exchange featuring three sets of couples showing affection to one another.

Writes the group: Ax5 "Malls, where teens hang out, have retailers whose window displays poison our children with 10-foot posters that are nothing but soft p*rn. In particular, Armani Exchange has recently displayed Valentine's posters with partially dressed 'couples' holding one another. These couples consist of two men, a man and woman, and two women. The women are scantily dressed while it is questionable if the men have any clothes on at all. Two of these models are used a couple of times to represent bis*xuals. If it could get any worse the text written is 'SHARE THE LOVE.'"

Sharing love! How...horrible!!!!

The group has begun a letter and phone campaign.

Fox4 Kansas City reported on the campaign.

Clucked Phillip Cosby of the National Coalition for the Protection of Children and Families: "It is not just commercialism and unfortunately it is predatory in its nature. If people are offended by those ads they can go to their local prosecutor and file a complaint for promotion of obsenity to a minor."

Watch their report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I've never spent money on expensive stuff like Armani, but now I'm going to just to piss off the AFA!

Posted by: Hank | Feb 5, 2010 8:34:05 AM

2. Won't someone think about the children!

Posted by: Helen Lovejoy | Feb 5, 2010 8:41:25 AM

3. So I'm wondering if One Million Moms is analogous to the Catholic League?

Posted by: clemsonaj | Feb 5, 2010 8:52:20 AM

4. SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR Armani Exchange

Posted by: David T | Feb 5, 2010 8:59:28 AM

5. @ clemsonaj It appears to be. No Wikipedia entry and the website is password protected. (WTF???) The one current information available appears to be related to this story.

Posted by: lessthan | Feb 5, 2010 9:09:04 AM

6. I don't think that I have ever heard of anyone being "hunted" by the so called predatory A/X ads. However I do seem to recall numerous children being preyed upon by men of the cloth. So maybe these groups might want to (in the words of my grandfather) clean up the dog s$#t in your own backyard before you go looking in someone else's backyard.

Posted by: scott | Feb 5, 2010 9:16:56 AM

7. Imagine how sad and full of imaginary evil the world is for these monsterous people who fear a world with FREEDOM OF CHOICE when it comes to sex and affection.

Posted by: Walter | Feb 5, 2010 9:17:52 AM

8. Promotion of obscenity?!

Have they seen their daughters' cheerleading uniforms? Have they seen their sons' wrestling uniforms? Have they seen WWE? Or music videos? Or most any magazine that advertises clothing or perfume? Or the friggin Hot Topics store in their mall? Or any primetime sitcom?

Sorry, but kids are exposed to sexualization of the human body in more significant and profound ways than seeing these posters in the mall.

Posted by: Dave | Feb 5, 2010 9:17:55 AM

9. Wait...the women are "scantily dressed"? A tank top and shorts are now too risque for women?? Since when did we become a Muslim country adhering to Sharia Law?

I think AFA Moms is a secret Al Qaeda cell.

Posted by: G | Feb 5, 2010 9:18:48 AM

10. I don't know much about this American Family Association, but they sound like a bunch of well-financed, sexually repressed, Nazi bigots.

Posted by: Hunter | Feb 5, 2010 9:29:46 AM

11. Why can't these fucking just say "they" don't like the ads...why do they always have to bring the children into it? Fucking assholes!! Its a fucking ad...get over it!! Maybe because they are turned on by ads...I mean look at that guy from some child advocacy group...he looks like a child molester!! I am sick this right-wing country with its mixed up values as if the country belongs to them. Well, I am a tax payer G*d damnit!!

Posted by: Paul | Feb 5, 2010 9:32:10 AM

12. I reworked the AFA Moms inappropriate response:

Dear President Irvine:

I COMPLETELY SUPPORT your company's decision to cover your window displays with posters of scantily-clad models. Your decision is RESPECTFUL to me personally, and to my family. If A|X continues to use such ARTISTIC and CREATIVE marketing choices, I will make a conscious effort to shop THERE MORE OFTEN.

Your current posters are BEAUTIFUL and I find them extremely TASTEFUL.

I implore you to publicly CONGRATULATE YOURSELF and immediately INCREASE the AMOUNT of "artwork" at your stores and website.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding my ACCOLADES.

You can send it here: (thanks, david t)

Posted by: David in Houston | Feb 5, 2010 9:32:10 AM

13. I wonder how many of these people have dressed their young daughters in sequined bathing suits, put some feathers or glitter in their hair, and had them dance or twirl a baton on stage.

Seriously. And they call it a recital.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 5, 2010 9:32:53 AM

14. The women are "scantily dressed"? PLEASE! That's like day wear!

I love how they are too horrified to use the word "bisexual" because the word "sex" is in the middle. Sooo lame!

It would be an AFA project *eyeroll*

Posted by: ravewulf | Feb 5, 2010 9:34:56 AM

15. THE CHILDREN!!!

You know, the ones they send to see Saw and other horror flicks where people are tortured but God forbid they have sex. Fuck off you uptight Christian assholes.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 5, 2010 9:38:55 AM

16. Thank You David T, for providing the link to Armani's customer service. I sent a letter explaining that I am a customer and that those ads mean a lot and the people critizicing the ads are homophobes and are NOT customers. Real Armani's customer's will still come to the store and now they may get even more business!! I told them the pendulum swings both ways...if they remove the ads...they will lose customers. I am going to make it a point to buy my bf something at Armani exchange today!!

And where are the Jersey Shore guys when you need them...I mean, isn't that where they get their T's from? just a thought. People love them.

Posted by: Paul | Feb 5, 2010 9:41:22 AM

17. "Sharing love! How...horrible!!!!"

I know, right? The world DEFINITELY needs less...LOVE! Just awful...

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Feb 5, 2010 9:47:04 AM

18. "The women are scantily dressed while it is questionable if the men have any clothes on at all."

Left model guy's wearing a watch, right model guy's wearing a necklace - that's clothing enough in my book. ^_^

Posted by: PM | Feb 5, 2010 9:49:04 AM

19. It's pointless to be angry at these clutches of bigoted assholes. Focus energy on the advertisers, so they won't cave in to the brownshirts.

Posted by: Clay | Feb 5, 2010 9:51:08 AM

20. Here, once again, we see the very effective right-wing tactics at work. Making up a group that speaks in the voice and jargon pattern of "working moms" (Sarah Palin anyone?). Putting an asterisk in the word "bisexual" as though it were a curse. And a demand for the images of homosexual affection to be erased from the public sphere.

These people know that if you control the images and symbols, you control thought. They can put all the asterisks inside of prefectly fine words all they want; they can erase images from public viewing. They can try, but stil can't control are our bodies yet, no matter how many hate crimes and false arrests are perpetrated.

This is why coming out and being out and, yes, MAKING out, is imperative. If you have a partner or lover, and you're shopping or just strolling around in public, please please don't shy away from holding hands or being affectionate. Don't cede control to these cave-people.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Feb 5, 2010 10:02:04 AM

21. BTW, did everyone see how the bodies of the couples in these photographs loosely form the shape of hearts? It's quite cute.

Posted by: Andalusian Dog | Feb 5, 2010 10:05:01 AM

22. Some interesting commentary on the site that it came from. Anyone up to a debate?

Posted by: Matthew | Feb 5, 2010 10:18:11 AM

23. Freedom to love is a threat to the bigots. Funny how the right wing always steps up and cries freedom when they object to the wealthy or corporations paying even one penny more in taxes. They claim it is a threat to their freedom. But freedom to shop where you desire? Freedom for a store to project a message of inclusion? That requires threats and a boycott from the knucle draggers! Truly pathetic, but entirely predictable.

Posted by: Brian from Tucson | Feb 5, 2010 10:33:49 AM

24. and the complaints coming from Fake-Christians..most likely OVERweight / built like upside down lightbulb moms..who's husbands long ago stopped touching them...who, never would shop Armani to begin with...they are out & out WALMART moms no doubt! Hey AFA - STFU!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Feb 5, 2010 10:39:16 AM

25. For any organization with the word 'Family' in the title, read instead 'Christian Pharisees.'
    eg. American Christian Pharisee Association, Focus on the Christian Pharisees, Christian Pharisee Policy Council, et cetera, et cetera.
    These people need to find a hobby. They must have barren lives.

Posted by: sjorgl | Feb 5, 2010 10:42:09 AM