GOProud | News | Republican Party

Watch: CNN Visits Gay Republican Group at CPAC

Goproud

CNN paid a visit to GOProud, the Gay Republican group taking part in CPAC. In the clip, the group gives a friendly handshake to NOM.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I have tried to understand the reasons behind the correlations between Republican and queer without success. The real question: is there only two types of hair styles for these people?

Posted by: DG | Feb 19, 2010 8:54:09 AM

2. Who says news is fair and balanced? Just listen to the correspondent call the folks from GOProud "gay activists" and somehow the National Organization for Marriage aren't activists.

I can't even imagine why GOProud would spend their money to co-sponsor an event where their very presence is met with hostility.

And the staged meeting between the two groups? Puhlease!

Posted by: Al | Feb 19, 2010 9:08:53 AM

3. there is NOTHING sleezier than a Gay Republican or a Gay Black Person --- they are fighting to get in on "the elitist" gravy train --- and leave all other people gay, straight, white, black behind.

DISGUSTING --- esp when they know the party they are a part of scapegoats gay men for power.

LOWEST FORM OF GAY LIFE

If you can not understand it -- you must not know elitist narcissists who believe they are ACTUALLY better than most people - just seek out some money and career freaks.

Posted by: Walter | Feb 19, 2010 9:13:47 AM

4. "there is NOTHING sleezier than a Gay Republican or a Gay Black Person"

Walter, my first guess is to assume that's a typo and you meant something less unreasonable.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 19, 2010 9:46:10 AM

5. Note that the so-called accepting young conservative said people have a right to what they want in their private lives "and take the consequences, too."

Just what are the "consequences" of being gay, Miss open-minded conservative?

Posted by: sam | Feb 19, 2010 9:47:44 AM

6. They like their bank accounts and clubby whites-only
    life more than anything else. Their entitled-we are not. Self-loathing and hypocritical come to mind when they breathlessly bypass the hatred for gay people which is a hallmark of the republican party-limited government except in your private lives and unrestricted greed and arrogance- goes well with these folks.

Posted by: Nick | Feb 19, 2010 10:17:53 AM

7. Gay Republicans?

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer traditional S&M.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 19, 2010 10:21:39 AM

8. It's all about pleasing conservative Mommy and Daddy for these fuckwads. "I may be a faggot but I'm a Republican! Please love me." Oy.

Posted by: JohnInManhattan | Feb 19, 2010 10:42:40 AM

9. These so called Gay Republicans are a joke. I am laughing so hard!!

Posted by: Roseanne | Feb 19, 2010 10:48:33 AM

10. Maggie Gallagher at her appearance at the Cato Institute earlier this week claimed to have gay people as volunteers for NOM. When challenged to provide their names she refused to do so, however, claiming that if she did they would never get dates again. She also said they would be welcoming of transgendered people who want to volunteer to support traditional marriage. She also claimed that many gay people voted for Prop. 8.

The video is on line at http://www.cato.org/event.php?eventid=6987

Posted by: Charlie | Feb 19, 2010 11:01:12 AM

11. "Poker (poke her) is not a crime" sign behind him is just another propaganda tool trying to turn all gay people straight. Those jerks.

Posted by: Andrew | Feb 19, 2010 11:16:53 AM

12. Im sorry, and YES I will USE the "over-used" analogy - JEWS FOR HITLER is what the Gay GOP'rs are....You want to be republican, then WAIT 5/10 or more yrs until these religious wack jobs are gone...you think there would be a "Pro-Choice" booth there,and sponsering this fiasco? They stand there while being the "Laughing stock"..even the reporter treated them with disrespect and as another commentor stated called them "Gay Activist"....as a OUT 49yr old Gay man (been out for 30yrs) I can not for the life of me understand thier reasoning ,other then typical GOP GREED! Ever notice on Gay sites..many people state in thier ads..IF YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN, DON'T BOTHER ANSWERING MY AD ...I myself do NOT associate with any Gay GOP'rs knowingly, and will not!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Feb 19, 2010 11:34:21 AM

13. Not to bash on gay republicans, but I totally get the concept of trying to change the minds from inside the party. However, the history of Log Cabin and now the neoconservative off shoot GOProud shows that they really don't acomplish their goals.

The problem here is that GOProud nor Log Cabin will ever call on the carpet a Republican for hateful legislation or comments.

Posted by: Admiral Ackbar | Feb 19, 2010 11:34:38 AM

14. Unfortunately, Charlie, I'm hard-pressed to disbelieve her. The world is a strange, strange place.

Posted by: JeffRob | Feb 19, 2010 11:42:42 AM

15. Walter, you are a racist pig for saying there is NOTHING sleezier than a Gay Black Person...I hope some homophobic person beats the snot out of you one day.

Posted by: MickW | Feb 19, 2010 11:45:30 AM

16. Traitors. Plain and simple.

Posted by: Sgt. Sausagepants | Feb 19, 2010 11:46:17 AM

17. Hey MickW - I believe he meant - Gay Black Republican.....

Posted by: Disgusted American | Feb 19, 2010 11:50:56 AM

18. I look at what the governor of Virginia did this week in rescinding employment protection for gays and lesbians for state workers and I have to wonder what gay Republicans think they're accomplishing. And this guy was supposed to be a moderate! I understand if you have policy differences with the Democrats on non-gay issues -- the Democrats have certainly been a big disappointment on those as well, although they aren't trying to turn back the clock. But you don't have to ally yourself with a party that treats us like the enemy.

Posted by: BrianM | Feb 19, 2010 11:52:44 AM

19. @Walter

I think you had better hurry up and amend that statement about "gay black person," really...

because I really wouldn't want Andy to ban me from this blog.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Feb 19, 2010 12:03:39 PM

20. Apparently "diversity" in the liberal gay community means "people who think just like me."

If you're gay and you dare to have conservative viewpoints and wish to associate with others who share those viewpoints, then somehow you're self-loathing. The anti-Semitic among us even compare them to "Jews for Hitler" which diminishes the unique horror perpetrated against Jews by Nazi Germany.

What's interesting is that the Democratic party doesn't really have that great a track record on gay issues either, as witnessed by the increasing number of gay people who say they refuse to donate to Democratic political groups.

Call the gay conservative groups what you like but at least they have the courage of their convictions and are attempting to make actual change.

Also, remember that it was the Democratic party that was once the party of racism and Jim Crow and the Republican party that was the party that the vast majority of freed slaves belonged to. Political parties can and do change.

Let's see if anyone on Towleroad can actually respond to me without hurling personal insults. If you have a good argument, you don't need to. If you have to resort to personal arguments, then you've already proven you've lost the debate.

Posted by: GrabbinNewscum | Feb 19, 2010 12:09:30 PM

21. Walter. I hope too like many of these readers that statement was a mistake although i don't know how you could make an error like that.So i would like it very much for you to explain yourself or damn you are no better than the same Go Proud ppl.

Posted by: G | Feb 19, 2010 12:15:42 PM

22. @grabbinnewscum: you are 100% right (well, almost, i don't share your viewpoint that people are anti-semitic b/c they make easy comparisons).

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Feb 19, 2010 12:22:07 PM

23. Since sexual orientation is a "non-issue" according to the Republican Unity Coalition's own manifesto, perhaps they should disband and join other GOP caucuses. I've also heard many Log Cabiners utter comments to the same effect. That sexual orientation isn't "important" and Republicans are great on all those other, non-LGBT related issues.

Fair enough, but the reason you have a sub-party organization is to lobby for recognition. If you say you are already well represented in your own founding document, then what is the point of even having the caucus?

In other words, it is odd to assert that gay rights is not an issue of national interest. And then turn around and claim your advocacy for it is having a significant impact within the Republican Party - a federal political party.

Posted by: John | Feb 19, 2010 12:31:22 PM

24. Walter I think you need to rephrase your statement. There is nothing sleezier than a gay black person? WTF??

Posted by: Alexander | Feb 19, 2010 12:36:12 PM

25. This is a great opportunity for me to say something I've been thinking for a while as a CNN viewer... Brianna Keilar is a great reporter! I've seen her cover a lot of diverse stories and she always comes across as well informed, authoritative, and smart. Go Brianna!

Posted by: arundel | Feb 19, 2010 12:40:39 PM