Christine Quinn | Crime | Gay Slurs | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Gay Attack by 5 Reported in Carroll Gardens Area of Brooklyn

Carrollgardens

Police are investigating a possible hate crime by five men on another man in the Carroll Gardens section of Brooklyn, local news outlets are reporting.

"A young man was severely beaten by five men shouting anti-gay slurs. It happened in the Carroll Gardens section at Luquer Street and Hamilton Avenue. It was shortly after 8 p.m on Tuesday, March 2, when the five suspects jumped the victim, punching and kicking him. The 22-year-old victim suffered severe bruises and a head laceration."

Writes the NY Post: "The 22-year-old victim had just left a gay and lesbian event at a pizzeria in Carroll Gardens at around 12:50 a.m. on March 2 when he was followed..."

Watch ABC7's and FOX's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Said City Council Speaker Quinn: “I was appalled and sickened to learn of last weeks anti-LGBT hate crime in Carroll Gardens. New York City’s greatest strength is our diversity. All New Yorkers should be free to walk our streets without fear of being attacked for who they are or who they are perceived to be.” “The victim of last weeks attack was simply walking on the street when he was beaten by a group of men while being called anti-gay epithets. This is outrageous and unacceptable. We thank the NYPD for their swift response to this case, and urge the alleged perpetrators to turn themselves in immediately. They and any other bigots need to know that the NYPD responds in full force to any and all hate crimes.”

Added Councilmember Brad Lander: “Carroll Gardens is a diverse community. We have no room for hate in our community. We embrace every race, religion and sexual orientation. We will not tolerate hate and violence in Carroll Gardens or anywhere else in New York City.”

Watch ABC7's and FOX's report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm pretty sure almost every Hispanic I know would consider five guys beating up one as pretty cowardly.

Posted by: JT | Mar 10, 2010 7:21:44 AM

2. That's not far from me . . . and I've gone to that event (albeit on a very off and cold night, so I left having eaten some spaghetti) . . . terrifying. But I have to say, that part of Carroll Gardens felt more old school Brooklyn to me (very tough, working class Italian neighborhood) and I felt my NYC defenses instinctually go up when I walked over there.

I hope those 5 guys are met with some serious consequences for their actions.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 10, 2010 9:43:55 AM

3. I am the guy that was beaten, I'm a very private person and have been cooperating with the police thinking it was the right thing to do. Now with out my permission its all over the news. I feel betrayed and out'ed by the police and media. This attention is just making this whole thing worst.

Posted by: jayson | Mar 10, 2010 10:01:44 AM

4. Jayson, wouldn't you want people to know so that they can be alert and protect themselves? I'm not one for making you uncomfortable or putting you in the spotlight, but actions as violent and senseless as these need to be reported on and not swept under the rug.

You wouldn't ask it from any other victim, would you?

Posted by: Viewer | Mar 10, 2010 10:34:27 AM

5. Why does it ALWAYS take four or five big ole strappin' HE-men with weapons to show a single gay man how weak, effeminate and defenseless he is?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 10, 2010 10:47:38 AM

6. Don't be scared, Jayson. Be mad! I wouldn't wish this upon anyone, but I would wish that you don't allow yourself to be a victim. We've all read about, in disgust, about this happening to our brothers and sisters. Stay strong, brother.

Posted by: Alfonso | Mar 10, 2010 10:49:08 AM

7. I was alert and carefully, and it still happened. I think the amazing things gay people do should get more news then something like this. Going public will not stop this type of thing from happening. It's ignorance that caused this. It's the same as racism. Hate is hate. I just wish the choice to go to the media was mine and not the NYPD.

Posted by: jayson | Mar 10, 2010 10:53:20 AM

8. I hope you recover quickly, JAYSON. I am very relieved that you know that you didn't do anything to deserve the attack from those savage cowards. Too many gay people feel they could have avoided this kind of incident, and they blame themselves. Thank you for not making that mistake.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 10, 2010 11:08:06 AM

9. Jayson, As someone who grew up in the neighboorhood I understand how you feel. On the other hand, these crimes need to be reported so everyone remains vigilant in the area, which is very remote any time of day. You did the right thing in reporting this crime. You should be proud and empowered. Also note, those cowards are just that and they will be caught. They won't be able to keep their traps shut because they have to prove how "macho" they are and brag to their friends.

Hope you have a speedy recovery and don't forget to talk this out with your friends and family.

Posted by: Maverick69 | Mar 10, 2010 11:30:24 AM

10. Without question this is an anti-gay attack. I hope the victim can recover.

Unfortunately gay people need to be always prepared for an attack by haterosexuals.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 10, 2010 12:29:28 PM

11. Wait... did this happen at 12:50 AM on March 2, or later that day at 8 PM? The stories don't match.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 10, 2010 1:58:10 PM

12. Jayson: Thanks for reporting this to the police.

Unfortunately, the more we keep anti-gay crimes "private," the more they will continue. The only way to stop this is to publicize the frequency of these crimes and pressure our law-enforcement groups to protect us too. We're taxpayers. We deserve to feel safe in our neighborhoods too.

Thank you for posting.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 10, 2010 2:08:43 PM

13. All those who live near Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn should go to South Brooklyn Pizza on Monday nights (That's their "gay night"). Show support and solidarity. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mob and/or the local Police were involved in the attack.

Posted by: Carter McDaniel | Mar 10, 2010 2:11:22 PM

14. With all the regular business going on in Carroll Gardens, why would the "Mob" or local police hire five Hispanic guys to beat up a gay one?

Posted by: JT | Mar 10, 2010 2:34:29 PM

15. What else can you expect from Texas, a state full of backwater redneck hillbilly yokels? I make it a point never to spend ANY money when I'm unfortunate enough to pass through that--

Oh, this was in Brooklyn?

Posted by: rafi | Mar 10, 2010 3:15:12 PM

16. How "tough" is it for 5 guys to single out, isolate and follow 1 guy and attack him. Would they have followed 5 Gay guys and tried the same?

Posted by: MarkDC | Mar 10, 2010 6:41:35 PM

17. Jayson, the NYPD let this story out in the media hoping for a break in the case. The disgusting creatures who assaulted you need to be caught and punished severely. I understand and respect your desire for privacy, but consider, too, that your LGBT neighbors are not safe from the criminals who beat you. I hope you make a speedy and full recovery from your injuries, and see your attackers brought to swift and stern justice.

Posted by: Nathan James | Mar 10, 2010 9:29:31 PM

18. i don't live too far from their and i've always felt safe. there are gays everywhere. makes me a little more cautious now :(

Posted by: TIM | Mar 10, 2010 11:38:47 PM

19. I am a gay man. I live ON this block (Luquer St. between Clinton St. & Hamilton Ave.). While I'm outraged, I'm far from shocked.

Please check out the comment I posted on a Carroll Gardens blog today regarding this incident, and some likely perps: http://pardonmeforasking.blogspot.com/2010/03/comment-of-daythe-luquer-street-boys.html

By the way, having lived here for quite some time, I can honestly tell you that the actual pronunciation of the street is Lou-Queer. No joke. Ironic that such vile homophobic thugs hang out here.

Posted by: An Actual Queer On Luquer | Mar 11, 2010 1:07:56 AM

20. To all my fellow gay brothers and sisters. Although I appreciate the support I am not an openly gay man and I am not out at work nor am I out to my neighbors or some of my family. And the media, council woman and the NYPD feels its ok to use what has happened to me as an example. Now all these gay activist want to hold events and rallys. I just want life to go back to normal. Being outed like this is more traumatic than being beaten.

Posted by: jayson | Mar 11, 2010 6:32:45 PM

21. Jayson,

I did not know your name until you posted so you are remaining pretty anonymous to someone like me from the general public.

I was the victim of rape 2 years ago, and I reported it to the police. The process of reporting the rape brought up flashbacks of the event-- I felt more trauma going through the process of reporting the crime than I did during the crime. I can't even imagine what it would be like to see my rape reported on the news like this. I am so very sorry that you are having to go through that; my thoughts are with you.

I am choosing to attend one of these protests because I believe that more visibility will make the streets safer in the long run. I am choosing to attend the rally because of what has happened to me, not because of what happened to you-- I hope you can find some sense safety and comfort in that.

Thank you for reporting it to the police, brave soul. I am so very sorry that there are reminders everywhere and that you are feeling the threat of being outed before you are ready-- that sucks.

In my experience, it will get better.

Love to you.

Posted by: Amanda | Mar 14, 2010 9:04:11 PM

22. For those of you in the area, a vigil in protest of the attack is being held tonight (Monday, March 15th) at 8:30PM on Luquer St. between Clinton & Hamilton.

Posted by: A.M. | Mar 15, 2010 11:32:31 AM

23. the people that did this are called the Luquer Street Boys.

Posted by: fightingback | Sep 9, 2011 5:29:45 PM