Harold Ford Jr. | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Harold Ford Jr. Not Running for U.S. Senate in New York

Marriage equality flip-flopper Harold Ford Jr. will not be running for U.S. Senate in New York. He explains why in a New York Times op-ed:

Ford"I’ve examined this race in every possible way, and I keep returning to the same fundamental conclusion: If I run, the likely result would be a brutal and highly negative Democratic primary — a primary where the winner emerges weakened and the Republican strengthened. I refuse to do anything that would help Republicans win a Senate seat in New York, and give the Senate majority to the Republicans. I realize this announcement will surprise many people who assumed I was running. I reached this decision only in the last few days — as I considered what a primary campaign, even with the victory I saw as fully achievable, would have done to the Democratic Party. I am a Democrat. But I am an independent Democrat. I am not going to stop speaking out on behalf of policies that I think are right — regardless of ideology, party or political expediency."

Buh-bye.

Comments

1. It's about time he bows out.

Posted by: Harvey Walker | Mar 1, 2010 8:20:22 PM

2. Right decision.

Posted by: db | Mar 1, 2010 8:41:03 PM

3. Hooah!

Posted by: TANK | Mar 1, 2010 8:53:01 PM

4. Is it just me, or does this guy have the creepiest smile ever? Like he's got the gnawed-on bones of a dozen backpackers in the crawlspace of his house?!

Posted by: wirrrn | Mar 1, 2010 8:59:32 PM

5. In that picture his smile is creepy, but I've seen him in person and unfortunately, the man is very handsome.

That being said, good riddance asshole.

Posted by: Cory | Mar 1, 2010 9:08:08 PM

6. Probably realized he hadn't paid his taxes there either. Hopefully he will move on to somewhere other then returning to Tennessee with all of his criminal relatives.

Posted by: TyInTenn | Mar 1, 2010 9:15:11 PM

7. he has an inflated opinion of himself if he really thinks he has enough constituency in NY to make the primary "brutal" and I can't believe his unself-awareness when he declares that the campaign will be "highly negative". This is the way that a carpet-bagger introduces himself to the people of NY by going negative? Good riddance. Go back where you came from dude.

Posted by: andy | Mar 1, 2010 9:20:05 PM

8. What a creep! He could have bowed out gracefully, but instead he puts out a whiney op-ed complaining about being bullied by the party leadership and lying about the health care bill imposing "billions in new taxes on New Yorkers." He's the last person we need in Washington. Good riddance.

Posted by: Boxerdad | Mar 1, 2010 9:30:00 PM

9. He shouldn't have entered in the first place, but I'm certainly glad he bowed out.

His vote for the Federal Marriage Amendment was, is, and always will be unforgivable.

Posted by: Upstate | Mar 1, 2010 9:49:35 PM

10. na na na na
    na na na na

heeeeey, to-do-lu, Harold.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Mar 1, 2010 10:09:45 PM

11. I'm convinced Harold's recent appearance in front of the Stonewall Democrats is what did him in. Nice work New York Gay activists!!

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 1, 2010 10:26:34 PM

12. HF Jr is like Cancer, you cut it out in one place (NYS) it suddenly appears in another!! Watch him "Suddenly" re-discover One Man One Woman Marriage where ever he appears next!! I would bet my left Nut on this happening in the next election cycle! Seriously CT, NY, PA you are next on his hit list since he can commute to your locales and still work in NYC.. He is scum and scum always rises to the top of the garbage heap!!

Posted by: AlexInBoston | Mar 1, 2010 10:43:14 PM

13. Good riddance. We already have enough fake allies, we don't need another.

Posted by: Zach | Mar 1, 2010 11:16:53 PM

14. Bye, asshole. I've always loathed this guy...wonder what state he'll try next?

Posted by: LAXJFK | Mar 2, 2010 12:09:00 AM

15. "Because I knew I would lose and it wouldn't be fun or self-aggrandizing, I have decided not to run..."

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 2, 2010 3:19:35 AM

16. I wonder if all the boo's at the LGBT center influenced his decision?

Posted by: John Normile | Mar 2, 2010 8:03:13 AM

17. No, it's true. He looks like Reverend Kane's son. Or grandson, whatever, Tangina can't save us anymore.

Posted by: antisaint | Mar 2, 2010 6:30:45 PM