Larry King | Music | Religion | Ted Haggard

Christian Singer Talks To Larry King About Her Coming Out

Jennifer knappOne-time popular Christian rock singer Jennifer Knapp has been away from the music scene for several years but she's back with a new album. Much to the surprise to her original fan base, she's recently revealed that she is a lesbian and appeared on Larry King last night to discuss her faith as well as her coming out.

Also on the show was Pastor Bob Botsford from the Horizon Christian Fellowship, who has referred to Knapp's homosexuality as "self-destructive behavior." Botsford has known Knapp on a personal level for years and has also been aware of her sexual orientation for some time.

He said to King and Knapp on the program: "I prayed for a lot of years having been told of Jennifer's same-sex decision and relationship. And so, I didn't say a word to anybody, kept it quiet, did not go public with anyone except the Lord in my prayers for Jennifer until it came public last week in the articles that she just mentioned to you that she gave. And then I said, well, hey, this is not right."

Ted Haggard also popped up to give his two cents. Full transcript here.

Watch a clip of the show, including a moment where King asks Botsford if he thinks Knapp is going to hell for being gay, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Why is Knapp coming out just before the release of her new album? This has got "commercial marketing ploy" written all over it. I also don't believe that she's gay. In a couple of years, she'll do an Anne Heche on us.

Posted by: jason | Apr 24, 2010 8:52:35 PM

2. What an awesome woman

Posted by: Bryann | Apr 24, 2010 9:09:10 PM

3. wow...Kansas is to this day one of my favorite albums...

Posted by: eric | Apr 24, 2010 9:31:13 PM

4. I used to listen to Jennifer Knapp in High School. This is a great story, and I'm very proud of her.

Posted by: Dan44444 | Apr 24, 2010 9:35:50 PM

5. I applaud this woman's courage, particularly in the face of cynical comments here. I wish her all the best on her journey.

Posted by: Tone | Apr 24, 2010 9:38:36 PM

6. I'm sure there's a commercial element to it because, let's face it, if you're shooting for commercial recording success ANYTHING you do has to have an element of self-promotion in it. But as she's been in a committed same-sex relationship for 8 years, the notion that this is just a marketing ploy and that she'll "Heche out" seems unlikely.

Good on her.

Posted by: Quakerjono | Apr 24, 2010 9:39:24 PM

7. Just once, I'd like to see a high profile, newly out queer artist +Christ emulator (like JKNapp) confront these willfully ignorant evangelical rubes on national television. I would rejoice if he/she declared unashamedly: "the form of Christianity you practice is the spiritual and physical enemy of every self respecting gay person in this country. It is also the enemy of our loving allies and we number in the millions. On behalf of these decent Americans, I declare war on your religion at the ballot box and will drive your ignorant cult from the public squares, back into the prayer closets where it belongs."

Posted by: Josh | Apr 24, 2010 9:40:23 PM

8. I love when assholes like that 'pastor' talk about someone else claiming to be a Christian. That's HER fucking business if she does identify as Christian and who made him, or anyone else, the gatekeeper for who describes him/herself as a Christian?! Would he go to a prison where some serial killer has converted to Christianity and say, "Well, since I see you have sinned, you can't be in our club/faith?" Fuck no, he wouldn't! He'd run back to his church and to the press raving about the new convert in town.

Why is homosexuality elevated to an almost unforgivable sin with these Bible-beaters? What are they so afraid of?!

Posted by: princely54 | Apr 24, 2010 9:42:28 PM

9. Jason's issues regarding women seeping out once again. I'm honestly not saying this to be a bastard, but I really do think therapy would do you good Jase.

As for Jennifer coming out, good for her! I don't care if there were commercial motivations, more out stars can only be a good thing.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 24, 2010 9:52:02 PM

10. Ted Haggard is not one to talk.

Anyway, congrats on coming out Jennifer!

Posted by: ravewulf | Apr 24, 2010 10:31:53 PM

11. There is a real problem with Modern Christianity's translation of the original Koine Greek word Malokoi...as Knapp tries to convey.

The Christians of the world have mis-translated the words and twisted them to mean 'homosexual' for their own hate filled, genocidal agenda for the 21st century.

Drop your bibles and step away from the religion!

Disgraceful!!!

Posted by: New Jersey Girl | Apr 24, 2010 10:40:01 PM

12. @ New Jersey Girl

EXCELLENT point! Thanks for bringing that up.

Posted by: SB | Apr 24, 2010 11:02:53 PM

13. Jeez, that guy's arrogance is rampant.
    "...who understand the bible as sacred text"
    "I don't think they do."

I'm speechless. That alone must be the single most arrogant, self-righteous, self-serving and violent thing I've heard this week (you know, when you let it marinate for a while).

Posted by: topher | Apr 24, 2010 11:28:40 PM

14. ted haggard isn't gay he just frequents call
    boys for the conversation and drugs. he is doing gods work healing from the inside. protect us from these fucking hippocrits.they all forget the teaching of Christ was love not hate. what makes them better than Christ

Posted by: walter | Apr 25, 2010 12:21:45 AM

15. Typo---that "sex" outside of marriage is wrong.

Posted by: Jim | Apr 25, 2010 12:53:45 AM

16. This isnt about one sin versus another sin or judging one another. The word of God is what is at stake here. It comes simply down to this. Either the word of God is true or it is a lie. Jennifer Knapp has decided it is a lie, written long ago and misinterpreted. WHether that be a homosexual or a liar, murderer, or an adulterer that would say “there” given part of sin that is mentioned in the Bible is erroneous and other people start to believe, “well if that part is old and misunderstood than so is that part and all the way to, so is the part about Jesus being the only way, truth, life”. WHere do we stop dissecting it for “our own Way”, “our own Truth” and “our own Life”. This is NOT about homosexuality!! WHat is on trial is the word of God! Yes we all sin but I don’t exalt my sin and say it is ok and God’s word is a lie. That is what makes me sick. So come out if you feel the need to come out but don’t attack the Word of God! People, don’t go blind just cause someone is blowing smoke in your eyes!

Posted by: sherri | Apr 25, 2010 4:29:45 AM

17. Sherri - Your argument isn't quite sound. We know that the Bible was not written in English, but you presume that it's meaning was accurately translated. You also presume that things don't change in the Bible. They do - Mark 7:18-19 suggests that Jesus declared all previously things "unclean", clean.

Each and every alleged reference to homosexuality (and there are only a handful), when put in context, are a non-issue. God is far more concerned with murder, adultery, theft, and - wait for it - incorrect religious teachings (Revelation 22:18, 19)

You suggest that declaring that homosexuality isn't a sin, is exalting a sin and saying God's word is a lie. God's word isn't a lie, unfortunately what you read - assuming you are reading, rather than listening to someone's "interpretation" today is not exactly God's word. I suspect theologians will ponder this question every day for a while to come, but those of us who have come to peace with our sexuality orientation, and God's love (and justice) know that we are not to be condemned for being gay. I, like every other gay man and woman, was made like this, and God's creation is perfect, and He see's that it is good. I sin, like everyone else, but being in love with my partner is not one of those sins.

Posted by: Henry | Apr 25, 2010 7:27:39 AM

18. I wonder how understanding the gay community will be if one of the most out there ACT Up leaders become a evangelical Christian... the hypocrite you want to bash is probably looking back at you in the mirror. Christian music gave Jennifer Knapp her platform, she is now crapping on. I wish the Pastor would have looked at Larry King and said.. Larry everything might be relative or what ever you feel, but how does your wife feel about your adultry with her younger sister? Larry is senile.. This was a PR stunt to sell records for Ms Knapp, to sell a few CDs .. otherwise the now enlightened Jennifer would have come out 4 years ago with no projects on the horizon. yes it's real brave... before you discount my post- I have worked with HIV/Aids patients, so this isn't some narrow minded view, with out some real experiance. I love all people but truth is truth.. even Act Up would agree on that..

Posted by: Knapp time | Apr 25, 2010 9:58:36 AM

19. You know what? Is is SO fucking rude of CNN to bring someone on to tell her to her face how evil she is. That is AWFUL! I'm sick of this shit.

Posted by: KFLO | Apr 25, 2010 10:26:03 AM

20. Who gives a shit what anyone says about their personal interpretation of the bible or their understanding of religion? It's all a buch of hogwash. Nothing in the books of faith is original and anyone with an elementary school education should be done with all of it. If it's the word of a perfect god, why are there so many better writers, before and since? Why all the confusion and conflict over the content? Why is the whole thing predicated on not asking questions? I guess if Adam and Eve had just shut the fuck up, we'd still be in Eden? Fucking our mother to populate the earth? There are shitloads of ideas that were bad that have been discarded through time. Why do we insist on holding on to this one?

Posted by: lonjamin | Apr 25, 2010 11:23:58 AM

21. Christ taught love not hate. Anyone who preaches hate is an anti-Christian. The Anti-Christ is alive and on the earth in the form of these false prophets, because everything they stand for is anti-christian!

Posted by: geemo | Apr 25, 2010 11:29:39 AM

22. I have to say, she totally called him out on his bullshit. She is a brave woman who if she's like a lot of other evangelical christians who come out, risked losing her entire social constellation when she told the truth. She's done her biblical homework and isn't afraid to hash it out on national television, even though she's an artist and not a theologian.

I've had this same conversation with a pastor who was also one of my best friend until I came out. It's humiliating, hurtful and depressing. But it sounds like she's surrounded herself with a new positive network. Too bad she had to, and too bad they didn't have her current spiritual leader on to affirm her.

Posted by: Troy | Apr 25, 2010 11:31:30 AM

23. Why is it some (certainly not all) Christians think that being gay and being Christian are antithetical to each other. I'm both. I know the word of God. I know the Old Testament (quite shocking, some of the commentors here love to say either the word of God is true or it's not...yet, I wonder how many have their big asses stuffed into a booth eating crab, lobster or shrimp when they can, or wear clothes of blended material, or would stone their children if their children cursed them... I mean if it's the word of God, why are we not doing that? Come on, if your faith is that strong, lets start stoning the insolent children.)

But when it comes to being gay -- which I don't believe is a "sin" because the "sin" part of this has been misinterpretted by MAN to fit their need not God's. Don't even get me going on the context of which things were written...can these judgemental Christians tell you to whom and why Leviticus was written? Doubtful. In fact, I know most can't.

I'm a Christian, I don't apologize for it and I relish in the fact I am saved in Jesus Christ. I'm also gay. It's my sexuality...just as God made me.

My suggestion to most of these so-called Christians, who seem to know nothing about Jesus Christ, the man and his mission on earth...stop calling yourself Christians. You're not. Call yourselves Old Testamites, Judgementalists, or Leviticites. Because you're not Christians.

Posted by: BART | Apr 25, 2010 11:56:21 AM

24. I started watching this program, but then thought why am I watching yet another dense TV interviewer thinking it's okay to debate my right to exist. Kudos to Knapp, but the way this was framed was offensive at the most profound level. The interview should have been about her and not the morons King had on with her. And Haggard?! Why would anyone think such a total failure would be an authority on anything? When you screw up that badly, you keep your mouth shut and your head down.

Posted by: romeo | Apr 25, 2010 12:06:41 PM

25. hey, that's pastor's not a REAL christian...or rather, knapp isn't a REAL christian...or neither of them are REAL christians. They don't know the jesus I know based on their "mistranslations" of the stories of other human beings.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 25, 2010 1:02:06 PM