Constance McMillen | Dan Choi | Gay Pride | Judy Shepard | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Mississippi Lesbian Constance McMillen to Lead NYC Pride Parade

Nycpride

Heritage of Pride announced today that Mississippi lesbian student Constance McMillen would join Judy Shepard and Lt. Dan Choi as Grand Marshals of the NYC Gay Pride parade on Sunday, June 27.

Said McMillen: “I never dreamed so many people would support my fight to take my girlfriend to the prom, much less that I’d end up being asked to be a Grand Marshal at NYC Pride. I’m really honored and touched to be asked to be part of this celebration.”

Comments

1. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There should be a incredible party/prom in New York that night just for Contance and her date.

Posted by: MarkDC | Apr 13, 2010 1:15:39 PM

2. Great choices, perhaps enough to make me go and cheer, first time in years.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 13, 2010 1:15:42 PM

3. A delightful development. This trio really speaks to a broad range of our constituency and supporters.

Posted by: zenflo | Apr 13, 2010 1:18:50 PM

4. Derrick Martin should be one as well. Bring him to NYC so we can show him what his life should be like among supportive friends.

Posted by: MT | Apr 13, 2010 1:18:52 PM

5. Agree about Derrick Martin, but bravo for Constance, Judy Shepard, and my friend Dan Choi. It's just too bad that months after the error was pointed out to them the organizers still haven't corrected their false claim that he'll be the first openly gay male on active service with the U.S. Armed Forces to participate in their pride march. So much for "heritage."

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Apr 13, 2010 1:27:29 PM

6. I agree - great choices all around!

Posted by: Daniel | Apr 13, 2010 1:46:48 PM

7. Maybe SF or LA or Chicago will invite Derrick.

Posted by: REYnoldo | Apr 13, 2010 2:00:51 PM

8. We would love to have Derrick and his bf lead the parade in Chicago -- we've had some great marshals in the past, like George Takei & his husband Brad, and Eric Alva.

Posted by: Doug | Apr 13, 2010 2:26:44 PM

9. I don't know why, and I hope I'm wrong, but I just get a very uneasy feeling that Constance may very well someday become the latest spokesmodel for the "ex-gay" industry.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 13, 2010 3:16:02 PM