China | Nature | News

BigGayDeal.com

Photo: Hunters Trap 'Oriental Yeti' in Chinese Province

Yeti

This sad looking creature which resembles a hairless bear with a kangaroo-like tail was trapped by hunters in Sichuan province in China and now everybody's running around saying it's an 'Oriental Yeti'.

Said hunter Lu Chin: "'It also does not sound like a bear - it has a voice more like a cat and it is calling all the time - perhaps it is looking for the rest of its kind or maybe it's the last one?"

Or maybe it's just scared shitless?

"'There are local legends of a bear that used to be a man and some people think that's what we caught,' he added. Local animal experts now plan to shipped the mystery beast to scientists in Beijing who will perform DNA tests on the beast."

And isn't it obvious they're taking first class care of it? Exotic animals don't have the best record in Beijing. Take a good look. This is probably the last you'll see of the sad creature.

Comments

1. It's so sad that I hope this is a hoax. In this picture it looks, to me, quite simply like a horribly shaved dog.

Posted by: Sqqueak | Apr 6, 2010 7:18:05 AM

2. MY first thought was red panda... not sure if they live in that area, though. Very upsetting - people are so cruel

Posted by: KFLO | Apr 6, 2010 8:01:33 AM

3. Bearcat aka Binturong

Hairless for some reason, (genetic, radiation, chemical exposure, fire) but just a bearcat.

Posted by: SteelToad | Apr 6, 2010 8:14:05 AM

4. REALLY good call. matches height, wt etc. i'm impressed @steel toad.

Posted by: jack | Apr 6, 2010 9:03:53 AM

5. I agree, it does seem to be a Binturong as Steeltoad suggested.

I think the reason it is hairless is that it has mange. There have been a few cases in the past couple years of mystery animals that were in fact mange-eaten common animals...A fox and a bear are two I can think of off the top of my head that got some attention on the blogs.

Posted by: Eric | Apr 6, 2010 9:20:04 AM

6. How long did it last before they ate it? Or some rich Japanese businessman bought it to eat it?

Posted by: Shane | Apr 6, 2010 9:20:53 AM

7. Poor thing.

Posted by: Wes | Apr 6, 2010 10:41:52 AM

8. Exotic animals don't have the best record in China?

China seems pretty good at taking care of the panda. Just a thought. Granted, that is one endangered species, but a little support for the claim China's would be nice.

Posted by: Bahstan | Apr 6, 2010 10:48:13 AM

9. It appears to be an unfortunate creature that has contracted a Mite infection which in the advance stages makes their hair fall out and it is horribly itchy. I have seen racoons, foxs, coyotes, and possoms in this sad state. In Canada they usually freeze to death during the winter and it usually comes from living in close quarters with other infected creatures.

Posted by: Robert Graham | Apr 6, 2010 10:52:49 AM

10. sad

Posted by: sal | Apr 6, 2010 12:05:38 PM

11. OR, it's just a hairless/sick dog/red panda/ whatever.

I swear, they're "shipping it" for "DNA testing"?? Are they that stupid or what?

Posted by: James | Apr 6, 2010 12:17:38 PM

12. I hear if you eat them, they give you virility... oh wait, that's EVERYTHING ELSE in Asia that's endangered.

Posted by: NoSleep4Sam | Apr 6, 2010 3:24:26 PM

13. Another species:Genet is likiest -

Posted by: rick mechtly | Apr 6, 2010 3:43:29 PM

14. Umm, Oriental is an adjective used for objects (such as rugs) and by old people. Asian is preferable. And no, I'm not Asian. So screw these people on many levels.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 6, 2010 4:31:35 PM

15. Paul R: the linked article is from a British publication. In current British usage, "Asian" refers to South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.), whereas "Oriental" refers to East Asia (China, Japan, Hong Kong, Korea...).

Just an FYI.

Posted by: M. | Apr 6, 2010 5:05:12 PM

16. Its a dog with mange... duhhhh =p

Posted by: Michelle | Apr 6, 2010 6:59:26 PM

17. M., thank you. But as an editor for international organizations, I can assure you that "Oriental" is still considered offensive by many. No one ever referred to the East Asian tiger economies (early to mid-90s) as Oriental economies.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but my Chinese and Korean friends would not take kindly to being called Oriental. In most cases (such as Hong Kong) it's a relic of colonialism.

Then again, I hate having to edit British vs. U.S. English, so I respect your point.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 6, 2010 8:01:38 PM

18. i'm fairly sure that this is a poor, unfortunate fossa with mange.

Posted by: Cameron | Apr 6, 2010 9:12:36 PM

19. That's a fossa. Cryptoprocta ferox. With mange, I bet.

Posted by: juanita | Apr 7, 2010 1:28:24 AM

20. Fossas come from Madagascar -- Numerous civets are about this size- definitely has lost its entire coat due to something akin to mange---

Posted by: rick mechtly | Apr 7, 2010 9:50:43 PM

21. Poor baby. It's so sad... It breaks my heart.

Posted by: P | Apr 8, 2010 2:00:05 AM