Whoopi Goldberg Can't Believe Mike Huckabee Defamed Gays

Whoopi

In a segment on The View this morning, the ladies discussed Mike Huckabee's recent remarks comparing same-sex marriage with incest and polygamy and warning gays who want to parent that "children are not puppies."

Whoopi Goldberg expressed disbelief that Huckabee, "a smart guy," would say such a thing. Well, she obviously doesn't know Huckabee too well then. In short order, Joy Behar and Sherri Shepherd pointed out the hateful nature of his religious bigotry.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Huckabee responded to the headlines the recent interview with the College of New Jersey's paper The Perspective has brought him by releasing a statement trying to discredit the student journalist who did it.

Huckabee  Said Huckabee: "The young college student hopefully will find a career other than journalism. I would ask that he release the unedited tape of our conversation. I believe that what people do as individuals in their private lives is their business, but I do not believe we should change the traditional definition of marriage. Not only did he attempt to sensationalize my well known and hardly unusual views of same-sex marriage, he also inaccurately reported my views on Michael Steele as GOP chairman - I offered my support and didn't 'Rip into Steele' as his article asserted. I had a candid and frank conversation with the group about health care, education, the economy and national security while the young journalism student, instead, chose to focus on the issue of same-sex marriage and grossly distort my views."

Huckabee has apparently no qualms with the statements he made advising gays who want to be parents that "children are not puppies."

In response, The Perspective released the tape of the Huckabee interview, saying, "Huckabee’s problem seems to lie more in the focus of the article, which is centered partially on LGBT issues. We feel that same-sex marriage, laws prohibiting gays and lesbians from adopting children, and ‘Don’t Ask Don’t Tell’ are legitimate policy concerns about which to question national political figures. Gov. Huckabee may disagree. But regardless, his words speak for themselves, and it is a shame that he is now so quickly embarrassed of them. Further, Huckabee’s claim that he defended RNC Chairman Michael Steele is simply not true. Have a listen. (Things are a bit out of order — in the interest of getting this out there, we had to improvise.) If you can tell what was “grossly distorted,” please let us know."

Watch the segment from The View, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. dutty dutty liar!!!disgusting fool this guy is

Posted by: sal(yes the original) | Apr 14, 2010 9:29:24 PM

2. God knows I love Whoopi and know her heart is in the right place, but she is really clueless about some things. She has unknowingly said anti-gay things in much the same way that whites often say anti-black comments without meaning to and without realizing it. I know homophobia is repellent to her, but it has unwittingly slipped out of her mouth from time to time.

Posted by: hephaestion | Apr 14, 2010 10:06:04 PM

3. Clueless? Whoopi's a complete fuckin' moron. And, she's not funny. Of course she's unknowingly said homophobic things...she's retarded.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 14, 2010 10:57:50 PM

4. Further, anyone that would say that mike huckabee's a smart guy is less intelligent than he is...and he's very stupid. Any way you look at it, whoopi goldberg is retarded who fell ass backwards into her career.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 14, 2010 11:01:51 PM

5. I, for one, don't know much about Whoopi's history of remarks regarding gays people, but I do not doubt that it has happened like Hephaestion mentioned. However, I think that it's much more important for us to have a supporter, who is ignorant of some things, than a detractor who is ignorant of some things. I think it is very difficult for a straight person to completely understand what a gay person thinks/feels, but at least she is on the supporting us rather than fighting us.

Posted by: PMWOKC | Apr 14, 2010 11:27:21 PM

6. Whoopi has been there for our community many, MANY times. Her comments about Huckabee isn't really a reflection on her but on how Huckabee tries to cultivate a phony image. Notice every time he talks about lgbts, he tries to turn the argument against us to make us seem like the aggressors. My guess is that he forgot himself during that interview and showed his true face.

Posted by: a. mcewen | Apr 14, 2010 11:36:58 PM

7. Hephaestion - Are you equating the filth that spewed from Huckabee's mouth with anything Whoopi may have said? Your post implies that our friends sometimes unwittingly say something and so what Huckabee said was ok.

Tank - before you call anyone "retarded," I suggest you read the third and fourth comments posted. Based on your comments, Whoopi Goldberg has been a supporter of the LGBT community longer than you've been a member. Her humor and comedy have always been based on satire and irony and occaisionally goes over the heads of people who don't "get it."

Posted by: Donald | Apr 15, 2010 12:41:59 AM

8. The attempted comedic stylings of one whoopi goldberg or rectal cancer...hmmmmm, a question for the ages.

Yes, her comedy is very nuanced and complicated, donald...mmmmmmmmmah if you're retarded.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 15, 2010 12:52:04 AM

9. Whoopie is a great supporter of the gay community. This isn't about here it is about Huckabee; and frankly I was shocked he said such an idiotic thing. As one comment said, he probably let his guard down for a moment and let out the truth. Sucks to be him!

Posted by: Mike | Apr 15, 2010 1:53:18 AM

10. Guys, Whoopi said Huckabee was "a smart guy" to cover her ass on national TV so she could safely go in and denounce his ignorance to the country. That way she could even get the mindless people that follow him to agree with her and recognize his ignorance.

At the very least it kept Elizabeth from crying like a shrill witch at her for attacking him.

Posted by: TheOtherMark | Apr 15, 2010 5:39:12 AM

11. Just because Whoopi is incredulous that Huckabee could say such heinous things doesn't make her homophobic. The View is a talk show, not a political show. Talk shows hosts express feelings and points of view. Her view at that moment was that it was hard to believe Huckabee could say such things. Believe me, Whoopi has been the VICTIM of things she has said being twisted and reported out of context. Seems to me she thought what was being reported about Huckabee might be similarly twisted. She didn't agree with his statements for Gods sake.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 15, 2010 6:23:32 AM

12. I've got nothing but love for Whoopi. She's spoken out for equality and gay rights numerous times.

Posted by: daws | Apr 15, 2010 7:03:38 AM

13. Whoopi is right. Huckabee isn't stupid. He's ignorant because of his religious upbringing. It doesn't excuse what he said, and it's totally fair to call him out on it. His rebuttal made him look even more pathetic, which is a good thing.

Whoopi has been a supporter of LGBT issues from day one. Those slamming her, might want to shift their focus to our real enemies. Ya know... like the homophobic dude she was talking about. Idiots!

Posted by: David in Houston | Apr 15, 2010 8:02:30 AM

14. Mike is looking for PR any PR. Mike got PR. Mike is happy.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Apr 15, 2010 8:30:41 AM

15. Huckabee is a smart guy. He knows exactly what he's saying and how it will be received by the people who support him. Why should he care if gay people are offended by his remarks? We aren't ever going to vote for him or watch is Fox TV show anyway. He knows exactly what he's saying. He didn't get to where he is from being a preacher of a medium-large Baptist church in a mid-sized city by being stupid. If he says stupid things, they are on purpose to appeal to the stupid people who agree with those things. Don't ever be fooled that people in the media (at least 99% of them) actually mean the things they say.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Apr 15, 2010 9:19:37 AM

16. I was actually surprised that he said it because in recent years he seemed to be (SLOWLY) changing his views on gays. I was hoping he would put some thought in the matter and realize that we are all a part of God's creation and God don't make no junk!

Unfortunately, he's just another politician pandering to some idiotic base that only feels good when they are pointing out what they perceive are the foibles of others.

And yet...for all of Obama's "support" for gay rights he's actually done nothing. Hmmm, I think I'm talking myself into the "all politicians are the same" argument again.

Anyway, as for what Whoopie said in the past...I don't know. I've never head a homophobic remark out of her, but then I don't watch Whoopie Goldberg 24/7.

Posted by: Rin | Apr 15, 2010 9:22:35 AM

17. THEOTHERMARK - bang on.

Posted by: barilla | Apr 15, 2010 9:27:31 AM

18. Tank is a troll.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 15, 2010 9:33:58 AM

19. I'm sorry to say it, but, even as a homosexual, guys, though he mentioned polygamy and incest in the same sentence, he didn't really say being gay was the same thing, and also, he's right, children *aren't* puppies. We need to look at what he's saying, take it at face value, and think about it, instead of reacting aggressively.

Believe it or not, the idea of gay parenting is risky and new. So it doesn't surprise me that people are talking about it in those terms. At least he didn't condemn gays to hell.

It may be that all that is needed to discredit the idea that gay parents don't make wonderful parents is to just walk the walk.

Posted by: Roger | Apr 15, 2010 9:36:16 AM

20. Wow, Roger. Huckabee didn't specifically condemn us to Hell, so he mustn't be so bad after all. Is your last name Huckabee?

He said that accommodating gay "behavioral patterns" (whatever they are?) was akin to accommodating incest, drug use, and polygamy. Sounds like a pretty direct comparison to me.

As for your idea that gay parenting is "risky and new," actually it's not really either. There are numerous studies showing that children of gay parents thrive. What's risky are parents who don't want children and have them anyway. Gay parents want their children.

Huckabee IS a smart guy who's used his "charm" to fool people (including Whoopi, apparently) into thinking he's not an extremist. This interview showed his true hateful colors, and he can't back away from them however hard he tries. Fortunately, it's highly unlikely he'll ever be President, but if you think all politicians are the same, Rin, think again: Supreme Court, "do nothing" replaced by actively anti-gay policies enacted into law . . . all politicians are not the same.

Posted by: Ernie | Apr 15, 2010 10:32:02 AM

21. In the 2008 campaign for president it came out that Huckabee's son David was let go from a job at a summer camp for hanging a stray dog. Huckabee is the last one to be saying that 'Children are not puppies', his kid kills them.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 15, 2010 11:09:28 AM

22. As a gay man with two adopted children I can say quite directly that Huckabee is pandering, regressive and ignorant. I can say from experience and from being around both gay and straight parents, that gay parents don't treat their parenting as a social experiment. We are raising our kids, getting them up in the morning, getting them off to school, helping them with work, coaching their teams, reading to them at night, and loving them with the depths of our souls. Like ALL good parents.

Roger, for every new parent parenting is "risky and new" because no two children are alike and you're learning as you go. I raise my children just like most parents - straight or gay - we're parents first to our kids. This gay/straight thing is ridiculous and specious at best. Quite honestly, I know more bad straight parents than I do bad gay parents. And the facts would prove that to be a fact.

And as far as saying the ludicrous Huckabee who was pandering to his also-ignorant base, was right when he said children aren't puppies, is akin to me saying, "Well, at least Huckabee isn't Satan." Is that a compliment? No, not really...by being so literate, Roger, you have only fooled yourself and diluted the truth. We all know what Huckabee said and we all know what he MEANT. And I can say for a fact, that the man is an douchebag idiot who speaks out of his ass and seems to not to have heard of Mark Twain who said it is smarter to remain silent and be assumed a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. I have no doubt Huckabee is a fool. Thankfully, he has no power and only minor influence over people who are just as backward and ignorant as he is.

Posted by: BART | Apr 15, 2010 11:11:31 AM

23. @Ernie

You are right, an anti-gay bigot on the Supreme Court would be worse than a do-nothing on the court.

Still, I don't think any politician is going to give gays rights. I have been reading primitivo anarchist writings lately (don't chuck stuff at me) and the fact is that someone giving you rights is an illusion. You have rights, other people are just not acknowledging them.

What needs to happen is to fully utilize a grass roots campaign in order to make your neighbors see that you do have these rights and the bottom will eventually effect the top.

You are not just a citizen of the United States. You are a human being on this planet. You have every right to marry, to share a life with whomever you choose. Anyone that tells you different is using an illusion to make you feel less than what you are.

Yes, I know it seems like I am making light of it, but I'm not. Lately, I think that all of the problems foisted on "We the People" are not of our making but theirs. They market their polarizing bullshit on us. They tell us what we think. The create conflict so that they may run off and do as they please. Our economy could improve if we relocalized, got small, and lived as we ought to.

New Hampshire has the free staters. Maybe (thinking outside the box) pull a gay stater and move to Vermont, support that economy, show how prosperous and peaceful and NORMAL it is and other states missing the tax dollars **cough California cough** will fall in line.

Or maybe I'm dreaming...

Posted by: Rin | Apr 15, 2010 11:50:33 AM

24. totally agree with you, Rin. Furthermore, I think it's time we stopped acknowledging those who 'refuse us' our rights. They simply don't have that authority and we need to recognize this. "Fighting for our rights" is a joke and only validates the power these people are assuming they have. The rights are already ours. They always have been. Just live your life and pay no attention to the small people who don't want you to - trust me. It's happier and healthier...

Posted by: jvogel | Apr 15, 2010 12:13:18 PM

25. @jvogel Well said, Sir. Well said.

Posted by: Rin | Apr 15, 2010 1:22:38 PM