Gay Pride | New York | News

NYC Cuts Gay Pride March By a Mile Due to City Budget Shortfall

Pride

NYC's Gay Pride March on June 27 will be nearly a mile shorter this year because the city is facing a budget shortfall and will step off at 36th Street and 5th Avenue rather than its usual starting point at 52nd and 5th.

Said Arthur Finn, Co-chair of Heritage of Pride, Inc., the non-profit organization that plans the events: "Some people running NYC Pride are disappointed by the announcement, but, we understand the city's need for the change this year. We aren't alone, as the city says it is requiring that every parade make the same sort of reduction as we did for this year."

The parade, which is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, and will feature Mississippi lesbian student Constance McMillen, Judy Shepard, and Lt. Dan Choi as Grand Marshalls, will still pass the spot where the historic Stonewall riots took place.

(image flickr user unstablelandscape)

Comments

1. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! Inch by inch, mile by mile the imperalistic nazi's are attacking the body queer.

I am taking it upon myself to form a consortium that will see this will not STAND.

GUBOM (Give Us Back Our Mile) will soon meet to plan out our fund raising efforts to fly our governing body to New York City (1st class) to investigate this outrage!

What shows should we see while there?

Posted by: Gerald P Thumbutt | May 25, 2010 12:25:43 PM

2. Well, I'll miss getting to yell things at St. Patrick's as we march by, but the parade does take too freakin' long as it is, so I'm not terribly upset.

Posted by: Glenn | May 25, 2010 12:31:07 PM

3. Also, it's not just the gays. NYC is making ALL parades shorter.

Posted by: JeffNYC | May 25, 2010 12:49:20 PM

4. We had heard that this was coming, but 36th street? really? Should have cut HOP some slack and started the parade at 42nd and ended it at 7th Ave and Christopher.

Posted by: qjersey | May 25, 2010 1:21:01 PM

5. is this being done so the parade won't pass st patrick's cathedral please give us a list of any other parade who's length was cut. didn't cut the salute to Isreal parade didn't cut puerto rican day parade didn't cut st patricks day parade why this one.this is bull shit. won't cut thanksgiving day parade.

Posted by: walter | May 25, 2010 1:23:00 PM

6. Do people actually still attend this tacky spectacle??

Posted by: Marty | May 25, 2010 1:41:20 PM

7. Of course NYC does this AFTER the St. patty's parade... I'm sure they'll find some reason why St. Patty's should be exempt from it next year.

Posted by: Vito | May 25, 2010 1:46:38 PM

8. The NYC public library system is facing a budget cut that will cost hundreds of jobs and the closings of multiple branches. Cry me a river about a mile of parade. Why can't cultural events on this scale, which attract tourists and advertisers, ever become financially self-supporting?

Posted by: Clay | May 25, 2010 1:49:20 PM

9. All Parades in NYC were cut short. There is no outrage needed here. Just people making excuses to stir up some stupid stuff. Hatred is not just discrimination its people who voice things in negative ways when peaceful understanding of complex issues should be kept in mind. This was a budget issue. Thats why it didnt make major news. It was announced that all parades would be shrunk. It happened in brooklyn as well for our civic parades.

Do us all a favor, dont carpet bag and protest. It just brings more traffic and overtime to our city's budget.

Posted by: brian | May 25, 2010 2:21:54 PM

10. Marty, I could not agree with you MORE!

Why every year during this mess I always leave town and go to my place in Hamptons.

WELL, last year was an exception. I was in bed with my some time lover, Thad at my Upper East Side residence when the phone rang. I snapped it up and it was a frantic phone call from my man servant Paulo in the Hamptons.

Paulo was in a state. The hot water tank BLEW UP! Just EXPLODED into bits! Thank god Paulo's tight muscular body and adonis-like face wasn't hurt. But my house was a WREAK! No weekend in the Hampton's for Thad and I. Knowing that Paulo could take care of all the issues at the house, I thanked him and insured him that I would reward him next time I saw him.

Well what to do now??? Thad and I were STUCK in the city with the whole "Pride" mess. Thad suggested that we join his friends and roomate at his charming little abode in the Village (which in the 6 years of our on/off relationship, I had never seen) for a smart party and explore the goings on. WHY NOT?

After a light brunch on my Central Park facing deck served by my in-town man servant Diego, Thad and I took a quick shower and dressed for the day. Thad suggested that we dress "hot" for the event. Thad threw a pair a worn 501 jeans, a jock strap, white "beater" tank-top and pair of boots at me told me to "get dressed stud". WHY NOT???

We took the TRAIN down to the Village and all the time Thad (dressed in similar outfit) kept teasing me by pinching my rock hard nipples and rubbing his hand on my ass ... RIGHT THERE ON THE TRAIN! WHY NOT?????

Well we arrived at his apartment and I was plesantly surpised at how attractive it was. His roomate Carl was a CHARMING sort of scruffy looking fellow. The artsy type, you know. Something about him started sending inpure thoughts into my brain and my crotch.

We had a few cocktails and set off to party Carl's boyfriend was throwing. As we walked through the streets I could keep my eyes off all the various men, women, transgenders, drag queens ..... it was almost too much for me. I had to hold on to Thad's muscular arm to keep from fainting. Carl, seeing my state but his arm around my waist (size 30) and helped escort me to the party.

WELL when we arrived it was more that a party ... IT WAS AN ORGY! At first thought was to slap Thad and Carl across the faces and get out POST HASTE! But the I thought to myself ..... WHY NOT????????

Well the house in Hampton's back in order. Paulo was REWARDED ... if you know what I mean.

But what will I do THIS year? Stay in town?

WHY NOT??????

Posted by: Bradley J Tiltnosen III | May 25, 2010 2:40:49 PM

11. This year is actually the 41st March and the three individuals being honored are Grand Marshals.

Walter: The Puerto Rican Day Parade has been shortened as well as the Salute to Israel Parade. You may want to consider fact checking before making statements that can be confirmed.

Clay: The city does not provide Heritage of Pride with funding for the March. For all parades and marches there must be NYPD officers present which is why they are cutting routes across the board.

Brian: I definitely agree. Pride starts in 25 days!!

Posted by: Ada | May 25, 2010 2:44:50 PM

12. The cut in length serves those opposed to it and in favor of it. If you're opposed, it just may get your ass there to protest (esp. all those white gay men - of which I am one, btw - who have sat out the march for many years because you no longer are discriminated against). If you're in favor of a shorter march, perhaps because as a person now well older than your 40's spending upwards of 6 hours in the broiling hot sun and marching 3 miles on hot pavement, was not a medically sound decision, may allow you to participate again! Plus a shorter march will allow more folks to be able to participate at PRIDEfest which closes by 6pm now. The reasons for being in midtown i.e. visibility of LGBT folks no longer is a good enough reason for starting up at 56th Street as it first did in the 1970's as throughout straight culture now you find gay exposure in politics, arts, sports, etc. The Catholic Church is going up in flames all on its own... it doesn't need LGBT folks to piss on it on LGBT Pride Day to put out their fire. All in all, the shorter March length works GREAT for me!

Posted by: Brian O'Dell | May 25, 2010 2:56:08 PM

13. @ Bradley

Lol!

Posted by: Rowan | May 25, 2010 2:57:29 PM

14. LOL@bradley. Marty's like sixty.

Posted by: TANK | May 25, 2010 3:07:17 PM

15. @Bradley: Bravo, dear. Bravo. More comments like that, please.

Posted by: crispy | May 25, 2010 3:08:36 PM

16. Pride parades have gotten very dull IMHO. The same drag queens + shirtless guys on trucks with thumping music + every random city counselor in their own car.

Posted by: tpac | May 25, 2010 3:22:40 PM

17. @Brian - Are you refering to the post by "Gerald P Thumbutt" about the protesting?

Posted by: ronnykmarshall | May 25, 2010 3:29:26 PM

18. Oh, yes Bradley please more stories of white privileged queens whose lives revolve around random sex. More stories of the "colored" who live to service you sexually while they clean your house. More please!! Did you suck off your "darkie" driver as well??!!

If that story didn't scream "old white queen" then I don't know what does.

gross.

Posted by: Marty | May 25, 2010 3:44:25 PM

19. Marty! What's with all the black rage?! Calm down and have some grape soda.

Posted by: TANK | May 25, 2010 3:57:38 PM

20. suck on a matzah ball Tank.

Posted by: Marty | May 25, 2010 4:13:53 PM

21. @ Marty

I hate to break it to you,but a majority of this site's readers are over-privileged old white queens who are mostly out of touch and basking in their own pool of arrogance.This is why I stopped going to the parade years ago.It consist of mostly white men both young and old skinny and fat prancing around to circuit pop tunes nearly naked.I rarely see latino,black,italian,asian,middle eastern,pacific islander men marching in the parade.Its usually all pale skinned white guys.I save my energy for the pre-pride parties and the pride after parties.

Posted by: Rocky | May 25, 2010 4:49:49 PM

22. So you stopped attending gay pride because of all of the white people, rocky? I would have thought it was because it's so fucking boring. Matzoh ball! How dare you, marty! LMAO! Antisemitism from you is soooooo...offenserivismismvvvv! Smoke a menthol!

Posted by: TANK | May 25, 2010 5:05:53 PM

23. "I would have thought it was because it's so fucking boring."

which was my original post, douche. It's boring and tired, kinda like Tank.

Smoke a menthol? sure Tank, but if you don't mind I'll light it from the stove. The oven is being used as a summer home for your mom.

Racism from you is sooooooo...laughable

Posted by: Marty | May 25, 2010 5:15:34 PM

24. @ Bradley: I bow to you, kind sir.

Posted by: Stephen | May 25, 2010 5:25:40 PM

25. So you're implying that you normally light cigarettes from inside of an oven? WTF?! That's just retarded, but not unexpected. Listen, OLD MAN RIVAAAH!, COOL-IT down with some ranch dressing on those wings.

Posted by: TANK | May 25, 2010 5:27:41 PM