Florida | George Alan Rekers | News

Rekers Seeks Spiritual Help Over Gay Lust for the 'Long Stroke'

George Rekers isn't giving phone interviews, he tells Christianity Today, but he is spilling a lot on email. Read the new ridiculous rationalization of his time spent with "rent boy" Lucien:
Rekers

In a follow-up e-mail to Christianity Today, Rekers said that his wife will be retiring soon and will accompany him on trips when their sons are unavailable.

"I confessed to the Lord and to my family that I was unwise and wrong to hire this travel assistant after knowing him only one month before the trip and not knowing whether he was more than a person raised in a Christian home," Rekers said. "I also confessed to the Lord and to my family the sin of thereby putting myself into a vulnerable situation where I tragically became subject to false allegations."

Rekers said that he regrets "unanticipated harm" for his "unwise decision," and briefly mentioned part of the trip. "One thing for which I am grateful is that my travel assistant openly shared his spiritual doubts with me during the trip and he did let me share the gospel of Jesus Christ with him with many Scriptures in three extended conversations." Rekers said he is being advised by a team of three Christian counselors. "And I have committed myself to ongoing meetings with an experienced pastor and counselor from my church, so I can more fully understand my weaknesses and prevent this kind of unwise decision-making in the future."

Rekers declined a phone interview with CT. "Because this has become a legal matter concerning defamation, Professor Rekers has been advised not to grant interviews," an unnamed respondent said in an e-mail from his website.

Wow. Textbook.

In related news, the Florida GLBT Democratic Caucus has called on Attorney General Bill McCollum to pay back Florida taxpayers for the $120,000 paid to this fraudulent boob for his testimony in support of the state's gay adoption ban.

The Palm Beach Post questioned McCollum about the hiring of Rekers in a video interview.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Troll!

Posted by: Jack M | May 13, 2010 8:56:10 AM

2. Pray away the gay- because we know that is a sure-fire method-
    self-loathing liar

Posted by: Nick | May 13, 2010 9:06:30 AM

3. Goddamn he's vile: "I was unwise and wrong to hire this travel assistant after knowing him only one month before the trip and not knowing whether he was more than a person raised in a Christian home." He blames the boy! What a miserable fucking asshole.

Posted by: Michael W. | May 13, 2010 9:09:07 AM

4. All of this is obvious code for "I've been told by the organizations I work for to deny everything and clean up this mess I've made. I have chosen to crawl deeply back into the closet and try to deflect any attention to the fact that I'm a disgusting hypocrite by invoking the name of Jesus. I am also hiding behind the possibility of filing a defamation lawsuit but I never will because then all the facts would come out and I would prove to be a bigger hypocrite and liar than I am thought to be already. I make a lot of money trying to keep gay men and women from receiving the same rights as every other American and I need to protect that money train which serves both me and many other bigots. I'm in misery because I've never lived an authentic life and have never been honest about who I am but that's okay because I've had a great deal of practice lying to others and crawling around on the bottom of the slimy pool of self-hatred and religious charlatanism. So please leave me alone and let me spend the rest of life devoid of true human feelings for the sake of reputation and money. For I also know that my at the end, when I stand in front of God in judgement, won't be mercifcul. So, I will try to enjoy all the money I make hurting others and sneaking around like the pervert liar I am with young men I pay for sexual pleasure."

Sad man. If he hadn't done so many horrible things to other people maybe there would be some sympathy. But it's hard to find forgiveness. I'll let his God handle that because this pathetic bastard has enough to deal with just being as creepy and disgusting as I'm sure he knows he is.

Posted by: BART | May 13, 2010 9:11:42 AM

5. Will his recovery include having to re-read his own books and articles?

Posted by: Rick S. | May 13, 2010 9:19:15 AM

6. YOU'RE GAY!!!!!

The sooner he accepts that the sooner he can start on an ACTUAL road to recovery.

And this part is a bit scarey:
    "his wife will be retiring soon and will accompany him on trips WHEN THEIR SONS ARE UNAVAILABLE"

Posted by: ravewulf | May 13, 2010 9:27:43 AM

7. the man went to the website what the fuck did he think he was getting mother theresa.it is still everyone elses fault but his.bullshit you are gay admit it and move on .he is looking for a defamation lawsuit i hope so. all the other baggage handlers will come foward and really this piece of shit. and also notice another wife standing by her man. she may go on these trips if their sons are not available. who travels with thir son before their wife?
    as to bill mccollum he is another lying piece of shit and shouldn't be elected governor of florida. but if people elect him
    they get what they deserve

Posted by: walter | May 13, 2010 9:33:20 AM

8. This is turning into McCollum's worst nightmare as he runs for Governor.

Posted by: jake | May 13, 2010 9:34:36 AM

9. He has a wife? All this coverage and I never read that before.

Posted by: JeffNYC | May 13, 2010 9:42:05 AM

10. Yes right!!
    ........and the Lord is gonna believe him?
    This religious crap is just getting beyond a joke.

Posted by: DavidW | May 13, 2010 9:49:20 AM

11. Ahh Poor Dr Rekers...now for that INTENSIVE Hetero Indusive therapy....

1)in the future always eat JUST the HOTDOG Roll, NEVER the HOT DOG
    2)NEVER pick up a flashlight,as the circumference will FEEL to familiar
    3)IF you enter a staircase NEVER Hold/grasp onto Railing IF its ROUND,same goes for any type of handrails (Round = Nooooo)
    4)No partaking of Sausages,hotdogs,Cumcumbers or any foods resembling said male member
    5)NEVER use Fleets enemas,unless perscribed by a authorized Christian Dr.
    6)Do NOT use any wide handled yard tools,as they too tend to be rounded.
    7)IF you use a public mens room...NEVER Tap your feet,and IF there is a mysterious HOLE between stalls...do NOT use - RUN away as fast as you can....
    .....more rules to follow...

Posted by: Disgusted American | May 13, 2010 10:04:05 AM

12. Gobsmacked too, JEFFNYC. He has an adopted son who's the same age as Jovanni. Never knew there was a wife.

I expect Oraph's calling her to come on the show even as I post.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 13, 2010 10:07:34 AM

13. You bet your booties it's a nightmare for McCollum

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/11/1623961/bill-mccullom-requested-hiring.html#ixzz0nfdZ37xs --

"The Arkansas judge, Timothy Fox, said Rekers’ testimony was worthless as evidence because it was only his personal view," according to an editorial this week in The Arkansas Leader.
    The Arkansas Supreme Court also concluded Rekers’ testimony "was pointless'' and declared the state’s antigay adoption rule unconstitutional, the editorial continued.
    A 2008 Florida purchase requisition states that no payment to Rekers should exceed $60,900.
    Florida paid Rekers $60,900 in 2007 and $59,793 in 2009 for his testimony in the case of Frank Gill, a gay foster parent seeking to adopt two young brothers. Florida is the only state that bans all gay people from adopting.
    Among Rekers' charges to the state of Florida:
    • $27,000 (90 hours) to "evaluate and critique'' new research.
    • $5,400 (18 hours) to meet with staff at the Attorney General's Office to prepare for deposition.
    • $6,000 (20 hours) to standby at trial and deliver expert academic opinions.
    McCollum said Tuesday he would not have recommended Rekers "if I knew what I know today."
    "Would I ever recommend him again? No," McCollum said. "But he was the best available at the time."

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 13, 2010 10:10:33 AM

14. When will all these closeted, pious, hateful "christians", remember the commandment "Thou Shalt Not Lie" when they 'give in to their gay lust'......and start telling the truth? Isn't that what a REAL Christian would do?

Posted by: Geoff M | May 13, 2010 10:17:53 AM

15. Most "religious" right wingers are much better liars than this guy.

Posted by: JusticeontheRocks | May 13, 2010 10:25:05 AM

16. Wife? That's the first I've heard of her.

This is actually funny - in a really pathetic way. After all this, he's *still* not fessing up? Does he realize what a laughing stock this makes him? The fall will come - believe me.

Posted by: Steve | May 13, 2010 10:25:59 AM

17. What's this about being raised in a xtian home not a sufficient reason to have sex with someone? Does he only have sex with born-again xtians? My universal translator isn't working.

Posted by: Karl | May 13, 2010 10:28:50 AM

18. I'm laughing so hard!! Hypocrite!

Posted by: Roseann | May 13, 2010 10:29:15 AM

19. "I also confessed to the Lord and to my family the sin of thereby putting myself into a vulnerable situation where I tragically became subject to false allegations."

He's a victim? I don't even know that they have a name yet for this kind of psychotic denial.

Posted by: fhrblig | May 13, 2010 10:30:06 AM

20. you could not make this stuff up, really tragic in its own way though, this fellow is so screwed up and God only knows what his wife must think - are they both in denial?

Posted by: arch | May 13, 2010 10:36:27 AM

21. he is FULL OF SHIT! i almost feel sorry for people like him.

Posted by: john in denver | May 13, 2010 10:45:52 AM

22. If he did nothing wrong, as he has claimed again and again, why does he need counseling to "fully understand [his] weaknesses"? According to him, this "weakness" was making a bad employment decision. What's to "fully understand"? What's to "counsel"?

No. Sense. Whatsoever.

Posted by: Mona | May 13, 2010 11:09:21 AM

23. >>so I can more fully understand my weaknesses and prevent this kind of unwise decision-making in the future."<<

Wait a minute. You can't have it both ways. First you want to sue someone for slander and the next you're basically admitting you did something wrong, which really wasn't. It's called "sins of the flesh."

The sooner you come to the realization you love young hard cock, the better your life will be.

One of many things I have never appreciated about religion is that you ask for forgiveness, say ten hail marys and all is forgiven. Then, you go back and repeat the process again. What a fucking sham!

Posted by: Keith | May 13, 2010 11:44:58 AM

24. Why would ANY gay person feel "sorry" for this monster? He hates gay people. One of his goals is to stop qualified gay people from adopting children who need homes. He should do the world a favor and commit suicide.

Posted by: elg | May 13, 2010 11:51:52 AM

25. The hole point of NARTH is that they can cure unwanted homosexuality, I don't get why they would abandon Rekers when he is their perfect candidate. Unless it is all BS and they can't cure the GAY out of anyone! Hypocrites.

Posted by: Gast | May 13, 2010 12:19:07 PM