Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News | Patrick Murphy | Rachel Maddow

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Rachel Maddow Talks to Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-PA) on 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Repeal

Murphy

Rachel Maddow summarized events surrounding DADT repeal last night and spoke with Rep. PAtrick Murphy (D-PA) about his repeal amendment.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Rachel Maddow is a self-serving, propagandist hack who has been awol on this issue until she got her marching orders from the administration to promote this horrible "compromise". Notice how she implies that passage of the repeal has been blocked by Republicans. That's not even possible since Dems have an overwhelming majority in the house. Then she pushes the lie that the WH has been helpful in whipping the vote. She knows that Murphy isn't going to diss the white house. She is a complete and utter disgrace.

Posted by: gaylib | May 26, 2010 9:14:31 AM

2. I really like Patrick Murphy and hope we see a lot more of him... reasonable, rational, & ACTUALLY served in the military.

Posted by: stephen | May 26, 2010 9:29:08 AM

3. One the that Murphy said that really rubbed me the wrong way, even though I know why he said it and why he said it the way he said it was (and I paraphrase):

"The reason we need to repeal this law is because gay people are willing to fight and die for OUR families".

I think this is exactly the reason that even homophobes and people who don't support full equal rights for gay people support the repeal of DADT. They don't have a problem with the gays fighting and dying for THEM and THEIR rights, just as long as we don't expect to get those rights that we fought for when, and if, we make it back home. It like a two for the price of one deal; they get their rights fought for without having to lift a finger for themselves and a few less queers in the world is icing on the cake.

Posted by: TampaZeke | May 26, 2010 9:52:48 AM

4. Murphy is a great ally, as is Maddow. Not sure why you have a hardon for her GAYLIB, but I have seen several shows on DADT with Maddow, more than any other journalist.

Posted by: patrick nyc | May 26, 2010 10:01:56 AM

5. Murphy seems to be reading from a teleprompter his talking points. I'm not saying he's wrong or anything. In fact, I'm on board with MOST of what he said. I'm just saying he should stop trying his best to hit "talking points" and actually TALK to her.

Meanwhile, my boy-girl-gay-whatever crush for all things Rachel maddow continues unabated...

Posted by: Stephen | May 26, 2010 11:06:38 AM

6. How clever of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter to come on this site and post using the screen name "Gaylib." Really throws us of the scent.

Posted by: Thomasina | May 26, 2010 11:12:12 AM

7. hey, Rush and Ann are propagandists too. It just sucks that Rachel felt like the only way to make a name for herself was to emulate them. BTW, name calling might bother someone as shallow as yourself. As for me, bring it on. As far as the "hardon" for her. I'm not sure I get that one, really.

Posted by: gaylib | May 26, 2010 11:38:33 AM

8. 1. WHY is such a smart woman serving the Kool Aid that this guarantees an end to discharges when it DOESN'T?

2. There are some great gay and nongay people, like Murphy, behind this but there support is built entirely on religious faith in three men...POTUS-SECDEF-CJCS...who have repeatedly demonstrated that they CAN'T be trusted when it comes to gays in the military. Just ask the 600 or so who have been shitcanned since Obama was sworn in and has the power ever since to UNILATERALLY, without the approval of Congress, without the Pentagon's approval, TO STOP ALL GAY DISCHARGES!

3. She invokes Dan Choi's name [and she is to be thanked for hosting him several times, giving him his first platform to out himself] but doesn't have him on to talk about THIS????

Could it be because he's DENOUNCED IT as a phony surrender to the Pentagon???

Here's HIS statement again:

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | May 26, 2010 12:25:03 PM

9. Well, I'm glad to know that Sestak may be supporting this amendment which will set us back 20 years. That tells me I won't be voting for him in November.

I don't understand how Gay, Inc. is in such a rush to secure a few crumbs that they are completely and totally ignorant to the long-term impact this will have on our community. Between the non-discrimination clause not being included, the fact it can be undone in the future since it won't actually be a law, the fact that there is no real time frame for a real repeal, the fact that everything is conditional upon some study and the Sec'y of Defense and Chairman of the JCOS signing on....

This is a disaster, and I am sad to see that Murphy, a staunch friend, is willing to compromise the GLB military community's rights away with no real benefit to US. We'll be hounded and harassed, just like we were before this was passed, and there won't be a damn thing which can be done to help us. We're going to end up with another compromise which involves us getting the short end of the stick.

Posted by: DR | May 26, 2010 12:25:35 PM

10. Ha ha! A straight Irish Catholic man sticking up for gays. Take that you gay bigots (or, as usual, just pretend it never happened).

Posted by: JT | May 26, 2010 6:02:06 PM