Alice Ripley | Gay Slurs | New York | News | Theatre

BigGayDeal.com

Broadway Actress Alice Ripley Angers Fans with 'Fag' Slur

Ripley

UPDATED

Tony Award-winning Broadway actress Alice Ripley has enraged fans after reportedly posting a status update to Facebook late last week in which she off-handedly referred to a critic of her performance in Next to Normal with an anti-gay slur:

"QUOTE FROM A NUMB BUTT ON BROADWAY WORLD: "I'VE SEEN N2N 8 TIMES WITH ALICE RIPLEY, WHICH IS 7 TIMES TOO MANY." HA HA HA HA!!! THIS FRUSTRATED ACTOR (I WON'T SAY FAG) IS MY NEW BEST FRIEND! THANKS FOR LOOKING DOWN ON LOSERS LIKE US THAT WORK FOR A LIVING. YOU ARE THE OPPOSITE OF A WONDERFUL AUDIENCE."

While some fans are defending Ripley, many readers of the Broadway World site are not amused, and some are planning a stage door protest at 10 pm on Thursday

Writes one commenter: "Bring your 'Alice Hates Fags' signs a la Fred Phelps to Shubert Alley Thursday night at 10. Homophobia will not be tolerated in the theater community. Spread the word. Queers unite against Crazy."

UPDATE — Ripley posted an apology on Facebook early this afternoon: "Hey guys- I just want to say how sorry I am for my recent post. It was careless and thoughtless and I assure you it is not a reflection of the way I really feel. Anyone who knows me knows that I’ve always supported the gay community and will continue to do so. I’m embarrassed and I apologize."

Comments

1. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Actor's should never be allowed to speak their own words. It's too complicated for them.

Oy Gevalt!

Posted by: Sean | Jun 8, 2010 9:41:23 AM

2. ...is she a moron? What was she thinking?

Posted by: Bear Necessity | Jun 8, 2010 9:47:20 AM

3. How stupid do you have to be to spew stuff like that in the theater community? Is she that dense? Or just so incredibly self-centered she doesn't realize what she's actually saying?

Posted by: Scott | Jun 8, 2010 9:55:16 AM

4. thats the problem... she wasnt thinking...

serves as a reminder that everyone should take a deep breath before pressing the enter key. once its out there you cant EVER fully take it back.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 8, 2010 9:56:17 AM

5. It was a dumbass move on her part, but protesting Alice Ripley at the stage door is hardly the best use of anyone's time and energy. I'm pretty sure she doesn't want us dead.

Posted by: Rodolfo | Jun 8, 2010 10:01:26 AM

6. "I WAS TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT!" in 3, 2, 1...

WHO is defending her? There really should be NO defense of such stupidity. And don't try to tell me that using "fag" to insult, degrade and humiliate isn't homophobic if 1) it's used by certain people or 2) if the person being insulted isn't really gay. It IS homophobic, it IS insulting and it IS offensive.

Rather than say "I was taken out of context" or "I didn't mean it in a homophobic way" I wish SOMEONE would have the balls to say, "yeah, it WAS homophobic, and for better or worse I use gay slurs against people when they piss me off and and want to use the most offensive insult I can think of and I can't think of ANYTHING more insulting than to insinuate that someone is gay and to use the most vile gay slur to make my point".

Just have some balls and OWN your homophobia, even if it's subconscious. Apologize for being a bitch/prick/asshole/dickhead and try to do better, but don't insult us further by denying, or worse justifying, your douchebaggery.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 8, 2010 10:07:18 AM

7. Although she's a terrific performer, she proved with her Tony acceptance speech that she's her own biggest fan. That kind of comment to any critic demonstrates both her thin skin and a self-involved insensitivity. The right way to protest isn't at the stage door -- it's by not being in a seat the next time she's in a show.

Posted by: dm | Jun 8, 2010 10:09:27 AM

8. these people protesting this ...are idiots...why invest time on someone who WE all know is gay friendly, likes us...yet she made a mistake ONCE>

NOW why are these same gays not protesting their goverment??? broadway? really? IDIOTS

Posted by: Bosie | Jun 8, 2010 10:13:17 AM

9. Stick a fork in her.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 8, 2010 10:16:03 AM

10. Wow, talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Posted by: excy | Jun 8, 2010 10:18:37 AM

11. she's a friend.
    I'm a fag.
    seriously...get over yourselves!

Posted by: doug | Jun 8, 2010 10:24:45 AM

12. The comment which spurred Ripley's was actually posted on the Broadwayworld messageboard.

Alice Ripley needs to get a clue - it's one thing to read professional reviews, it's quite another, and even more pointless, to read the reviews of bitchy theatre fans.

And she shouldn't have made that comment, nor dismissed it as referring to a "cigarette butt".

Posted by: Kurt | Jun 8, 2010 10:25:50 AM

13. Doug: Just because YOU'RE friends with her, therefore she's immune from criticism? I would say you're the one who needs to get over himself.

Also, that "get over yourself" is ironic because you're gay and you're defending someone who, when thoroughly pissed off, reached for whatever word she thought was nastiest—and it was fag. Isn't the whole problem with that use of that word that it tells gay people they're not worth anything?

If she were my friend, I'd be telling her to explain herself and apologize, not circling wagons and acting like it was totally fine because she's a great hang.

By the way...she was amazing in that amazing show. Probably why some are all the more offended—it's unfun when someone you'd thought was simpatico isn't.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jun 8, 2010 10:33:43 AM

14. Doug says: "she's a friend. I'm a fag. seriously...get over yourselves!"
    So, Doug, because (a) AR is YOUR friend and (b) YOU are a fag, then (c) she is automatically allowed to call anyone else a fag? And (d) WE are supposed to get over ourselves? Wow. What great logic. You, sir, are brilliant. Oh, one more thing: Following your logic, I'll assume that AR refers to your mutual black, Asian, and Jewish friends by their respective slurs? Just wonderin'.

Posted by: David | Jun 8, 2010 10:38:29 AM

15. I just think it's wrong. She's a good person. (a little loony...yup) We have real enemies. She is not one of them.

Posted by: doug | Jun 8, 2010 10:39:23 AM

16. oh...I didn't love the show. I remember her old voice. It was glorious.

Posted by: doug | Jun 8, 2010 10:41:17 AM

17. @TampaZeke: Different people use the word in different ways. My straight friends know better than to use it in front of me, but maybe her gay friends don't care and they use the word as a joke. (If you work in theatre, especially on Broadway, you live in a world far, far removed from reality.) So she was posting on FB the way she talks. And using the word as a joke robs it of its power.

@DM: She's an actress in musical theatre. Of course she's her own biggest fan.

The real question here is why was she reading BroadwayWorld in the first place? And why did someone who hated her performance see it eight times?

Anyway, I just read the entire protest threat Andy links to and I don't think anyone is taking the "demonstration" seriously. Halfway through, the thread turns into a comparison of various M&Ms varieties.

Posted by: Rodolfo | Jun 8, 2010 10:42:45 AM

18. Doug and Bosie, you are dead wrong on this. Part of the reason kids continue to get bullied and taunted at school with the slur fag, is because people like Alice Ripley signal that it's still ok to use it. She said it and she needs to be called out on it; it's that simple.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 8, 2010 10:43:27 AM

19. In not in theater or any type of performing arts. However, isn't it understood that your performance, album or whatever will take a certain amount of criticism, constructive or otherwise? Seems to me, the best course of action is to either not read reviews at all or let them blow over your head.

I run a blog and have had my share of criticism. Come to think of it, maybe I should take my own advice.

Posted by: Keith | Jun 8, 2010 10:45:11 AM

20. RODOLFO, most gays who don't mind their straight friends using the word with them don't mind them using it WITH THEM as a term of endearment, the way some women don't mind close gay male friends calling them a "bitch" in joking, endearing, very personal way.

That is another thing entirely than using the word as a slur, out of that personal friendship, joking, endearing atmosphere. I doubt that she will claim that she is personal friends with the critic and meant it in a friendly, endearing way.

Your argument is a red herring comparing apples and oranges.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jun 8, 2010 10:58:30 AM

21. To my mind, referring to a gay person as a fag or faggot is the same as using the N-word about a black person.

We must remain vigilant and militant about this kind of denigration.

The use of the word fag in public media like Facebook is a slur, and it is indefensible.

Posted by: Not An Uncle Tom | Jun 8, 2010 11:16:53 AM

22. Behind the facade of friendliness of any haterosexual is hate. Moments like this is when that hate is revealed.

She clearly referred to gay men yet she tried to escape any critism by saying she meant cigarette butt. Get out. Anti-gay language is common among haterosexuals.

Posted by: Bill | Jun 8, 2010 11:25:42 AM

23. ALICE RIPLEY:

"Fag"? Really?

Stop generalizing from personal experience.

The truth is heterosexuals freely embrace the comforting predictability of homophobic stereotypes mistaking such "acceptance" as "progressive". Unwittingly becoming stereotypes themselves. Whether all this is unconscious or self-conscious it is misguided. The soft bigotry of low expectations.

Your limited knowledge and experience of your "Gays" is at best partial and, I emphasize, irrelevant to the individual and collective specificity of all homosexuals and homosexuality worldwide.

The Gay "minstrel show" of "fags" you love is a lazy construction of your own uninterrogated delusions which you, consciously or unconsciously, continue to impose on The Gays...unironically.

Your attitudes are pedantic. Not all Gays conform to those comforting stereotypes you so freely and uncritically swallow. The claustrophobic "Gay Box" comforts only you.

Posted by: MarkDC | Jun 8, 2010 11:28:38 AM

24. There it is.

Heterosexuals are all homophobic bigots just like most White people are just a little bit racist.

If you wait long enough it comes out. As a man-who-has-sex-with-men who is not "perceived" by most straight people as a homo I know heterosexuals talk shit on The Gays when they think there are no Gays around. In fact I've NEVER met a heterosexual who "gets it".

Ripley must have a HUGE sense of hegemonic privilege to think she throw "fag" around in public, online.

Posted by: MarkDC | Jun 8, 2010 11:34:45 AM

25. She's a thug and people should boycott her show!

Posted by: MickW | Jun 8, 2010 11:37:13 AM