Charlie Crist | Florida | Gay Adoption | Gay Marriage | News

Charlie Crist Supports Court Striking Down Gay Adoption Ban, Has No Problem with Gay Couples Living Together

Crist

TIME magazine sat down with alleged closet case Florida Governor Charlie Crist and asked him why he doesn't support same-sex marriage and a repeal of Florida's Defense of Marriage Act. Crist answers that he's for traditional marriage but has no problem if gay couples want to live together (gee, thanks!).

He then discusses gay adoption and says that a judge is the best to decide it, which is interesting because all the latest decisions by judges have struck down the state's ban. Crist has always expressed support for retaining the adoption ban in the past, although last July, when asked about the issue, he said he'd "have to think about it."

Says Crist to TIME (my transcript):

"Well I've always felt that as it relates to same-sex marriage, marriage in my view is a traditional sense between a man and a woman. You know I think that if you want to have couples or partners who want to reside together, I don't have a problem with that...I think it's important that you have a live and let live attitude as it regards adoption. I think probably the best decision maker would be a judge. Currently we have a law on the books in Florida that precludes that from happening. I'm sure that a future legislature and maybe the next governor might address that issue...I've always supported civil unions. I think that's a good way to go, and I think marriage in the traditional sense is what I believe in."

Watch the clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. So he has the same public position as President Obama --- meaning he would like to give gay couples recognition and rights ---- but he also wants the votes of the Straight Supremacists who want to retain their elevated status over gay people.

Posted by: Walter | Jun 16, 2010 9:12:07 AM

2. Charlie Crist supports Charlie Crist.

He must thank the gods every night for the oil spill that brought cameras to his door, because otherwise, no one cares.

In fact he's vilified by conservatives, which is why he's so cozy w/ Barry.

Posted by: stephen | Jun 16, 2010 9:25:47 AM

3. There's nothing "alleged" about it. Put "Outrage" on you Netflix queque.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 16, 2010 9:36:51 AM

4. I have a problem with this marriage-adoption dichotomy. If one feels strongly that the institution of marriage must be defended against the gays, wouldn't it appear that he is throwing chidren to the wolves (or bears, as the case may be)? Can someone explain this to me?

Posted by: Richard | Jun 16, 2010 10:00:30 AM

5. It's amazing to me (but probably shouldn't be at this point) how stunningly inarticulate politicians are when attempting to justify their opposition to marriage equality. I mean, "marriage in my view is a traditional sense between a man and a woman." That's what you've got, Charlie? It doesn't even make sense. Yet, it's typical (even if the issue is more dangerous for closet cases like Mr. Crist). I believe only in man-woman marriage because it's "traditional." Never mind that women as property, blacks not being allowed to marry whites, etc. was also traditional in its day. The "tradition" of marriage has continually evolved, and that tradition increasingly includes us.

The good thing is full marriage equality, including adoption, is the only thing that makes rational sense. They have no compelling argument. "Live and let live" means civil marriage equality for everyone, Charlie. The problem is most of the interviewers asking the questions are as ill-informed as the politicians. We need to clone Rachel and have her interrogate Crist and his ilk. They need to be challenged, repeatedly.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 16, 2010 10:21:16 AM

6. Hey Christ go Fuck yourself with your Beards Dildo.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Jun 16, 2010 10:21:44 AM

7. G A Y F A C E.

Posted by: MarkDC | Jun 16, 2010 10:54:38 AM

8. Dear Charlie,

You look like a goddamn tangerine. Seriously, stop it with the tanning. And with the sucking cock but not supporting full equality.

Posted by: ChristopherM | Jun 16, 2010 11:38:22 AM

9. Kids do best if their parents are married. Dump DOMA!

Posted by: David R. | Jun 16, 2010 12:21:35 PM