Dan Choi | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Military | News

Lt. Dan Choi Ends 'DADT' Hunger Strike After 7 Days

Choi

Lt. Dan Choi and Captain Jim Pietrangelo have ended their hunger strike over "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" after a week of fasting. His website:

Friends,

The fast of the past seven days has been a success because people have been educated to the use of fasting as a tool to bring attention to a set of clear political and social demands.

Tonight, we will end the fast knowing that the inadequacies of the ‘compromise’ to end ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ are well known. Our quest to end the discharges, stop the insulting study, and institute a non-discrimination policy is not over. In the coming weeks, we will prepare to resume our fast and will provide many ways for those who believe in uncompromising justice to join us.

On a personal note, we have learned a great deal about the proper planning involved in fasting. We appreciate the concerns that many have expressed. When this fast is resumed, we will be using the proper safeguards to ensure our health is properly attended to. Everyone that considers fasting for an extended period of time must also take proper precautions.

Probably a good idea with no real end to DADT in sight yet.

Comments

1. What a joke

Posted by: Mike C. | Jun 3, 2010 9:51:10 AM

2. Wonder what new publicity stunt he'll go after now. Sorry, but this guys isn't helping our cause. Unfortunately, he's enjoying the limelight a bit too much.

Perhaps he should have boned up on the issues with fasting before he got casually involved with it.

What's next.

Posted by: jtramon | Jun 3, 2010 9:57:02 AM

3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's starting to find Lt. Choi a bit of a fame whore.

Posted by: Joel | Jun 3, 2010 10:01:22 AM

4. Like he's the only gay fasting at the start of swimsuit season.

Posted by: Paul | Jun 3, 2010 10:02:37 AM

5. I think he is a hero.

Posted by: Peter | Jun 3, 2010 10:13:10 AM

6. Dan is a hero-
    he could sit back and wait for the next HRC cocktail party-

Posted by: Nick | Jun 3, 2010 10:43:24 AM

7. He's lost me. I remember really loving Cindy Sheehan at one point, too, but he's really lost momentum with his ill-planned—but well-intentioned—tactics. I know, I know, 'what are you doing?' But I'm not sure that the things he's doing are helping.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jun 3, 2010 10:48:16 AM

8. @Matthew - Totally agree. extreme behavior has a shelf life. If he wants to help, run for office, go lobby, do it from the inside.
    PS- I loved your book, Blind Items... huge fan.

Posted by: JMH | Jun 3, 2010 11:01:59 AM

9. Oh, Matthew, PUHLEEZE!

AS IF a mainlining Obama Kool Aid queen who devotes her life to books and movies about male prostitutes, Madonna, and Hillary Duff knows shit from Shinola about politics or what "helps" our community.

No one has to agree with all of Dan's CHOICES, but it's only fair to say that no one who's unwilling to make the sacrifices he has, which include risking a federal prison sentence for not once but twice wearing his uniform while participating in a political AND illegal act, has no right to sit safely AND usually ANONYMOUSLY at their keyboards smearing him PERSONALLY.

While I think the DADT "compromise" is only a CHANCE for real change, we wouldn't have gotten that had he not kick started the discussion while everyone in Gay Inc. who are PAID to fight for us still had their heads up Obama's ass to one degree or another.

DADT repeal sponser and straight Army Vet Cong. Patrick Murphy's opinion is good enough for me:

"Dan Choi is a hero."

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Jun 3, 2010 12:02:40 PM

10. I don't think many would say that fasting is necessarily a stupid strategy, since it's been used effectively in the past. Some people might also say that fasting requires little courage, so let me spell this out more clearly. Fasting may not require courage, since you can end the fast. However, receiving a federal prison sentence for wearing your military uniform during a political protest does require courage, and I think Dan Choi was very brave for doing it.

If anyone is offended when someone wears his uniform at a protest in defiance of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, I would say: "That's why they call it civil disobedience." Courage like that really can inspire people, as it has in past eras.

Posted by: Phil | Jun 3, 2010 12:26:15 PM

11. I'm with some others. I'm starting to feel like Lt. Choi is doing the stuff he does MORE out of love for the spotlight than for taking action for our causes. Of course, I could be wrong.

P.S. I still love Cindy Sheehan.

Posted by: Rodney | Jun 3, 2010 2:33:45 PM

12. There is nothing "heroic" about Choi. He's a failed military officer who embraced the DADT cause long after his career went south. As for the hunger strike, anyone could have predicted what happened.

Posted by: Career | Jun 15, 2010 1:18:50 PM